“the best on the island”
Review of Miyo's

Miyo's
Ranked #32 of 250 Restaurants in Hilo
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Miyo's offers excellent food and a great atmosphere. Each meal is prepared with fresh veggies and seafgood. The meals are beautifully served by a great staff. The family atmosphere is wonderful. Prices are moderate thus allowing a full family to enjoy and eveniong out.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

We enjoyed the food at Miyo's although should have ordered a bit more wisely to avoid the large amount of fried offerings. The tuna sashimi was great and uber-fresh and I wish I had had more of it and less fried, but oh well.

One thing that was surprising is that a lot of quite good food was $15 per person, which for Hawaii is really inexpensive. And based on other restaurant reviews we read, this was one of the top choices for food quality. There is just not a lot in Hilo.

Definitely make a reservation. There were stacks of people waiting, of course, it was a Saturday night. Do lower your expectations for service. There is no hostess and are hardly any waitstaff, so like others of implied, get your drink order in when you're seated and don't necessarily expect a refill unless you have time to kill. And speaking of drinks, Miyo's and most other Hilo restaurants do not serve any alcohol, no beer, no sake with my food, which is completely befuddling. I don't know what the issue is but that is how it is.

The guitarist is good and the ambiance is nice (a bustling open space with wall panels made to resemble shoji screens) but they should have had more doors open to the pond outside. The restaurant is hard to locate--the building is set back behind other buildings in the complex and we couldn't see the sign from the parking lot so had to go ask in the bar downstairs.

Reviewed December 31, 2011

This was a nice stop in Hilo, the food was excellent! It was packed, so the service was a bit slow, but well worth the wait. Nice views. Would have gotten 5 stars but the restrooms were a bit scary! We will be back for sure-

Reviewed December 22, 2011

Discovered this restaurant through Yelp and it was not disappointing. Out of the two dinners we had in Hilo, this was the best.

Scenery - we went at night and could not see the river other reviewers commented on.

Service - prompt and reasonable. Water was refilled several times without asking.

Food - really good. We had Fried Oyster salad, Seafood Yosenabe, Combo dinner with tonkatsu, beef teriyaki, sashimi. Fried oysters were fresh. The Seafood Yosenabe was very good. I never had it before and didn't know what to expect but ordered it based on the description. It's a light and healthy dish w/ huge scallops, shrimp, squid, fish, bean sprouts, tofu and napa all cooked in a clear/light fish broth. Everything was fresh. It met my expectation. I put the broth in the rice.

Price and portion - reasonable.

You can "bring-your-own-beverage". We didn't so don't know if they charge anything.

We went on a Monday night and there was live music. The guy was pretty good.

If I am in the area again, will definitely go again. Maybe during the day next time so I can see the river.

Reviewed December 19, 2011

Most of us live inHilo and have eaten here before. So when our boss came over from another island for Christmas "party" (Lunch), we chose to go to Miyo's. We made a reservation and were told that we had to pre-order, which we did.
When we got to the restaurant (on time), our food was on the table, and it was cold (we orgered mainly tempura). I asked if we could have it heated, and the waitress (older lady) said we could not because "this is what you get when you pre-order, and I was not the person who took your reservation".

We should have left at that point, or asked for the manager, but I think she may have been the manager - with an attitude. We ate the cold food (I took mine home for dinner so I could heat it in the oven). Will never go there again, and will make sure everyone we know in business is aware of the BAD sevice.

1  Thank anakale15