“hidden gem”

Ranked #87 of 250 Restaurants in Hilo
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I went to Hilo for a day with a friend and we were looking for a restaurant to go to for dinner before heading back to my aunts house for the night. He mentioned this restaurant and I agreed.
It is in the Hilo shopping center in downtown Hilo and you would never know it was there, hidden at the end of a hallway. The restaurant is very unassuming and unpretentious. It was a Saturday night and there was a good size crowd but not completely full as we were able to get seated quickly. There were a lot of my favorite dishes on the menu but when I saw the chirashi on the list my mind was made up. I ordered the chirashi and 2 orders of mirugai, my friend had a house salad (he is on a diet where he eats whatever he wants but has a salad or 2 to begin his meal), a platter of sashimi which included salmon, toro, hamachi, ika and makerel and he ordered a side of chicken katsu. The service was very efficient and our water glasses were constantly topped as we were thirsty from hiking all afternoon. I was totally surprised when my order came to the table. The chirashi was great. There was tamago, maguro, ika, ebi, ikura, makerel and kani. The mirugai nigiri was awesome. I totally loved it all. I tried some sashimi from the platter and everything was very fresh. I even had some chicken katsu. The entire meal was delicious and I mentioned to my friend how much I enjoyed it and will definitely be coming back for more.
It seems that the customers were all local residents and therefore many repeat customers. The ambience is quiet and comfortable, dimly lit but casual too. The couple seated across from us was an ederly couple from Papaiko who had braved the rain that evening and drove to town to have the sashimi. She said that her companion insisted they go to Miwa to have his favorite dish. She told us he was 91 years old and I watched him finish his entire meal!
After I returned to Oahu I told my friends about my dinner experience and said we must go there next time we went to the big island. That should be in less than a month - I plan to go there everynight for dinner!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Great place for special occasions or just casual dinner. Nice atmosphere and good food. Options are limited, but that doesn't bother me. Nice people.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

This place is somewhat of a hole in the wall in a strip mall, however once inside the hole everything changes. A charming atmosphere and friendly wait staff await. The food is terrific but be prepared to pay for it. Overall, well worth the cost great place for couples. You gotta try it!!

Reviewed July 24, 2012

We were traveling back from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and it was about 8:30 p.m. when we decided we needed food. Our last night in Hawaii, we wanted to end on a positive sushi note, as we had a wonderful meal at Monstera on the west side earlier in the week. We Googled sushi restaurants in Hilo and called several places prior to stumbling upon Restaurant Miwa. All the other places were closed or closing, and Miwa was open until 9:30. The restaurant is located in a strip mall and the inside is nothing fancy. We were seated quickly, and we requested to sit at the sushi bar because we love jawing with the chefs. There was a large group of regulars in the other room that were having a great time, so we figured we had hit the jack pot, and we weren't wrong!

The sushi chef has been making sushi for 35 years, and was so friendly and helpful. We ordered the sushi combination and a sashimi combination. Both were delicious and very fresh-tasting. We also had a bottle of warm sake and a spicy tuna roll (just to try it out). The wasabi at this restaurant is the real deal, and we had our chef put it in our sushi for us. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

All the other staff was very attentive and friendly as well. The hostess, the server who ended up checking us out, and someone who looked like the owner or manager - everyone was great! Nothing but good things to say about this place. With fewer choices in Hilo for dinner, we would recommend taking the time to look them up!

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We had a very nice Japanese dinner at Restaurant Miwa last night. The restaurant is located in a shopping center and is a little hard to find down a hallway. It is worth looking for. The dining room is very quiet and a pleasant place to have a conversation over dinner. The service was good and the food was delicious. They have a nice selection of Japanese entrees and also fresh sushi. We had three different dinners at our table and all were delicious. We have lived in the area several years and this was our first visit. We will go back again soon.

If I had to make a suggestion to the owners I would tell them that it is time to remodel the rest rooms. The men's room was a bit dingy and in need of at least a new paint job.

1  Thank Islandguy808