“Excellent dining experience.”

Ranked #65 of 255 Restaurants in Hilo
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2012

An overall wonderful dining experience. The wait staff and service was excellent. Friendly, cordial and fast. The food was second to none--tasty, first class presentation.

2  Thank Ysugi

Reviewed January 2, 2012

We visited the Japanese restaurant around 7:30 PM. Some tables were already taken, but there were more empty tables. We waited at the door to be seated for five minutes or so. The staffs were coming and going around us, but there was no greeting or a nice smile. Just people kept coming and going without any words. Finally, we left there. The worst experience at any restaurant in my whole life.

1  Thank K N
Reviewed November 16, 2011

The food was fresh, the sushi was well-proportioned. They served us genmaicha tea, which was lovely.

2  Thank emerlion
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Hole in the wall strip mall restaurant. Nice decor and great customer service. It came highly recommended for the Japanese style steak. I wish I had tried that. Insted we had Beef Teriyaki ( a 94 yo very light eater was not allowed to have the child's plate) and Pork Snobayaki. We also split Unagi (eel) sushi which was excellent!
Soup and seaweed was very tasty,,,pickled cabbage had good flavor but was somewhat rubbery...
Teriyaki and shobayaki both seemed overcooked and dry...saturated with marinade so the tastes of the meat was blotted out. The Japanese style slaw was overwhelmed with sesame?...edible but enough was enough. Both dishes of ice cream were excellent!
By the way...I had to use the men's room and upon leaving went to shut off the light. It was the single most disgusting light switch I believe I have ever seen...especially for a restaurant! I spoke with my server about it and he immediately promised to take care of it. Had I used the restroom prior to orderind we would have gone elsewhere. how can an employee wash his hands then turn off the light...and keep clean hands?
I will try somewhere else in a day or 2.

2  Thank GAndersGardens
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I'd been craving sushi for our entire trip to Hawaii (okay, only a week!) so we decided to try Miwa. What a disappointment. I think this restaurant caters only to the regulars. It was after 8:00 when we arrived and the place was fairly empty. We sat down and got menus and then no one would take our order. Finally the waitress came over. Although we eat sushi all the time, we were a little confused by the menu because most items were listed by the Japanese name and no English descriptions were given. So I had a couple of questions for the waitress, and she treated me like an idiot. When I ordered a tuna roll she asked if I knew it was raw fish!

The food came reasonably quickly. I ordered salmon teriyaki, which was mediocre. The sushi was much better, though. However, the waitress vanished once we had the food. I wanted more tea and literally couldn't get anyone to bring it. (and again, the restaurant was nearly empty) Finally the sushi chef noticed that we were completely aggravated and flagged down our waitress.

Meanwhile a couple came in, obviously regulars. We had gotten our check and were ready to pay. Our waitress walked right by us so that she could quickly take their order, leaving us waiting once again.

Atrocious service. There must be a sushi restaurant in town with better service, or else go to the Kona side, but avoid this place at all costs. Not sure why I bothered with this review since this restaurant obviously does NOT want tourists!

1  Thank JerseyJodi