“Happily surprised.”

Freddy's Restaurant
Ranked #176 of 253 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American
Reviewed December 2, 2011

My husband and I got lost whike driving in Hilo so I decided to stop at the next place and get my bearings and a bit to eat. It was busy but not crowded, a good sign. We ran into three people we knew from Maui, another good sign. Locals never eat at a junk place twice, or recommend to friends and family.
I had the Special Fried Noodle, my husband had the chicken katsu. We both left full and happy. Tasty food that came out quite promptly considering the crowd there. We will eat there agian next time we go to the Big Island.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

Yep, spent 3 yrs trying to recreate it back home. I think I've got it now. Also, fish loco with fried rice. It's not too traditional, but soooo Ono

1  Thank Saltdiver
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Good experience- great Chinese chicken salad for$7.50 in a town where 'salad' means mac salad only. Clean, bright, air conditioned sit down area (or restaurant area). Just up the street from Banyan Drive hotels- convenient. A cut above other nearby drive-inns.

Reviewed March 21, 2010

There is a sit-down area (which we did not go to, but looked nice, diner style) and a counter with sit-down area (like a fast food place).
The sandwiches were great, the condiments also.
Good to have a sandwich for lunch for sure. We have pastrami and prime rib sandwiches. Very good.
Excellent value!!!

Reviewed April 26, 2009

If you're going to the Drive-IN side, it's OKAY. If you're going to the restaurant it's terrible. I went their for breakfast one morning, and there were only 2 other families their besides myself. They didn't give me place settings for one of my children. We ordered toast with our breakfasts along with hot chocolate for all the kids. The toast came after the meals when the hot chocolate came cold. The waitress didn't bring us place settings for my child until the rest of us were done eating, my 12 yr old had to eat with her hands. Needless, to say we did tell the waitress what we needed and she still didn't bring it. The scrambled eggs were runny. I don't need to tell you that we definately did not tip and we never ate their again. That was 2 years ago.

1  Thank lovetoeatout317