“Good food/service on the water front area”

Cronies Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Cronies Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 255 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I came across Cronies looking for a place to eat when I was shopping the water front area. There really was nothing special about the location or appearance but the food was very good and the service was very good. I had the fish and chips and as expected, the fish was fresh. There seemed to be a lot of locals eating here as well. So even though the location is on the north edge of the tourist area, I think any tourist would be pleased to eat here. I highly doubt Cronies ranking has anything to do with their food or service and would guess it is more about being on the edge of the main tourist area than anything else. So if you have the time, it is worth the visit for good food.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

After a week in Hawaii, my GF said she just wanted normal food. Cronies was the only place we found open late on a Sunday so we went in. Service and food were great. Felt like any sportsbar back on the mainland, which was a good thing. Service and food were great as well.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We visit the wonderful folks at Cronies quite often. They have the absolute BEST burgers on the island hands down. They also have a really awesome steak. The staff is ALWAYS so friendly. Highly recommend to everyone!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

No matter how badly you think you need to go to a sports bar while in Hilo, don't go to Cronies even though it appears to be the only one. It's your basic sports bar: lots of TVs and uniforms on the walls. The menu items that aren't your basic bar fare are pretty good (e.g., pork rolls). The basic bar fare is mediocre. The main problem is service. I've been trying to think of a term that conveys how awful the service was (terrible, atrocious). We had to hunt down a server every time we wanted anything, from water to food to refills to the bill. Almost as disappointing was the signature bucket of fries. Servers delivered heaping buckets of fries that looked like a good deal. It wasn't. The bucket had a false wax paper bottom that made the quantity of fries far less than appeared.

2  Thank Iambic
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Every time I come to town I find myself in Cronies for their burgers and fries. Great value and a great location in downtown Hilo. I always have fast service and tasty food. There is something for everyone.