“Good Food, Tries to add local touches”

Cafe Pesto Hilo Bay
Ranked #5 of 244 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mamo Street
Transit: Bus stop across street.
Description: Cafe Pesto offers creative and locally fresh Island cuisine in a casually elegant setting at truly affordable prices. It's menu draws from the diverse multicultural influences found throughout the Big Island and applies them to wood fired pizzas, ethnically inspired pastas, risottos, the freshest of seafood and organic salads.
Portland, Oregon
“Good Food, Tries to add local touches”
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Went here because its one of the few Hilo restaurants open after 9 on a Friday night, and I was pleasantly surprised. The salad I had was covered in local edible flowers (and local produce as well) The pizza was good (and big.. The server asked me if I wanted the large, but I got the small, and it was still too much) and made with top notch ingredients. They also had some local beers on tap, I really enjoyed the Hawaiian lager.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston
“Great decor, somewhat disappointing food”
Reviewed February 23, 2008

Cafe Pesto is located on the bay in Hilo, which means that you get gorgeous views from within the restaurant. The decor inside is very light and breezy, which matches the warm sea breezes that come in through the open windows in the restaurant. The menu is quite ecletic, with a mixture of interesting sandwiches, pizzas made to order, and Italian entrees. Based on the quality of the free table bread, we were expecting great things about the food, but honestly, we ended up being a little disappointed with the sandwiches we ordered. I think that there are likely very good entrees on the menu, but we just didn't happen to find them.

Emerson, New Jersey
“Great, Great Restaurant”
Reviewed January 10, 2008

My wife and I stopped here on our honeymoon and we loved this place. Hilo has an interesting array of restaurants and we found that this one stood out. We ate dinner around 7 PM on a Saturday and the restaurant was quite busy and full. We had to wait about 20 minutes for a table. The wait staff was very attentive and our food came out very quickly. I have the "hawaiian" pizza (kalua pork and pineapples, I also added jalapenos). My wife had there fish special which was tuna in a pesto sauce. Both dishes were excellent. Those looking for a quiet, romantic dinner probably should look somewhere else, because the open restaurant can get a little noisy.

Cambridge, MA
“Good food, good location!”
Reviewed June 11, 2007

We ate here on a quick trip to Hilo & really liked it! Cool decor, nice staff, and good food. I really liked the seafood risotto, that included shrimp, lobster, fish & scallops. They had several local beers as well. For dessert we split the Liliko'i Cheesecake which was liked, especially the Mac-nut crust. Prices are reasonable, but not inexpensive.

utah
“good food, service....ok”
Reviewed May 21, 2007

We had read a bunch of reviews of this restaurant and wanted to visit
after our trip to the park. The food was good but i guess we got there as the lunch shift was changing, seemed our waiter wasn't sure who was his or the other guy's customers, so we waited, and waited.....i had a stir fry that was good and my husband enjoyed his sandwich. We were pretty hungry when we arrived and it was about 20 minutes until we spoke with our waiter....the location is great and again the food was good, just maybe bad timing on our part....

2 Thank earing