“Excellent”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Excellent food, friendly service, comfortable seating. There's not much more to ask for. Pretty flawless restaurant experience.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

A family owned and run restaurant that is worth a visit. The best enchilada sauce in town than can boast authentic Mexican food. The ambiance is right out of Mexico. The price is slightly more than the other Mexican Restaurants in town, but the location is great for being near the bay. This restaurant has several different types of Margarita in which they specialize.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is a hard to find trio in Hawaii, good food, service and price.
From the outside this place doesn't look much, so we didn't have high hopes for anything good but as they say you should never judge a book by its cover. We were meet by friendly staff who quickly took a drinks order, margarita $5.25 for me and a MGD $3.25 for my husband. We started with chips & salsa, wow the salsa is spicy so watch out! I had a chile relleno, beans & rice plate $9 excellently cooked, full of flavor, my husband had an chicken enchilada, beans & rice $7.50 full of nicely shredded chicken, good flavor, both were served on hot plates, yippee! This is almost impossible to find even in the top,restaurants in Hawaii. To finish fried ice cream $5, so good we ate it before I took a photo.
This place has everything right but we especially appreciated the food served on hot plates, well done

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The first time I went to Ruben's the fact that it is nothing like a fresh-mex California style restaurant made me think I wouldn't be back. That was several years ago. When you live on an island you tend to come back and given even dreary places a second chance.

When I came back, my mouth was not conditioned to what I had been used to before, so I was better able to take Ruben's at face value. It is a noisy honky tonky Mexican style restaurant in Hawaii where you can get a Margarita and classic Mexican food. A lot of people prefer Lucy's Taqueria and so I am going to do a brief comparison here. At Lucy's, you order your food and hope to get a table. This does not promote a sense of personal comfort. You go to the bar to order your drink. You wait for that and bring it to your non-existent table. The people before you bus their own tables, so you rush to sit at a table that is not ready for your bare arms. The portions are giant. And the food quality I would say is very much the same. At Ruben's you sit down at a table that is ready for you and when it is time to go, you leave the table for someone else to clean up.

So, why the "very good" rating instead of the average rating? Because this is Hawaii. It is not all about what's on your plate. It is that we who live here sometimes have to travel over 100 miles to get from one simple destination to another. This often means grabbing a meal on the run. I love Cafe Pesto down the block, but I also like to save it for when I am not exhausted and can better settle in to browse the menu and appreciate the food. For super casual dining, Ruben's is my favorite place in Hilo. The food tastes good, and fits the category of comfort food for me. There is no wondering if it will be open or not - so many places have arcane hours and days of service. It is far better than what is currently called Pineapple, a place that looks more inviting but serves frankly unappetizing food.

A word about the margaritas - it is tempting to get a tropical style margarita, but probably if you are a maragarita kind of person, it is better to stick with the classic style drink. It does come in a pint glass like beer does, but that doesn't change the way it tastes. If you are in the mood for tropical drinks and fancy kine food, this is not where you should be. Think old school Mexican and you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I had lunch here. Poor service poor food. They make you pay for chips and salsa! The margaritas were marginal.