“Hawaiian Legacy Hardwoods tour - the best!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hawaiian Legacy Tours

Hawaiian Legacy Tours
Ranked #15 of 43 Tours in Hilo
More attraction details
Owner description: The experience of planting a Koa legacy tree is a must for any visitor to the Island of Hawaii. Experience the birth of a Hawaiian forest and plant your very own Koa Legacy Tree. Located on the slopes of Mauna Kea, this historic site was once the personal koa forest of King Kamehameha the Great- 1st King of Hawaii. Sadly, this land was cleared nearly a century ago to make room for farming and ranching. Fortunately, some of the old growth koa trees still reside on the property. These rare trees grow nowhere else on Earth and are being utilized as a seed source for all Legacy Trees to bring the forest back to its former glory. Be a part of Hawaii’s history and create the memory of a lifetime.Tree plantings can take place as dedications, memorials, or just as a way to have a deeply authentic and meaningful experience with the native plants and animals of Hawaii. Once planted you will receive a certificate detailing your tree's unique RFID number and GPS coordinates, allowing you to revisit your tree at any time via Google Earth.
Keaau, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hawaiian Legacy Hardwoods tour - the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I have taken HLH's tour twice now - I was so inspired and excited after the first tour, I returned with a few friends. This project is restoring Koa forests to thousands of acres that used to be Koa forests before logging and ranching destroyed them. As an environmentalist, restoring native Hawaiian ecosystems is one of the highest goals I can imagine. These folks are doing it right - innovative funding mechanisms, ground-breaking horticultural techniques that are yielding unprecedented success, and a pono attitude toward all they do. To see new Koa forests rebounding is simply one of the best efforts I have ever seen to help our planet - native birds and plants, carbon storage, responsibly harvested hardwoods, and more. As a state senator, I've had the honor of visiting many exciting and innovative projects statewide, and seen many examples of great work being done. None of my experiences surpasses this project.
I personally chose to invest in the project, and have advised several friends to do so, because I have never seen an investment opportunity as in line with my core values as Hawaiian Legacy Hardwoods. But even if you have no interest in investing, this is an inspiring tour that will give you renewed hope for our planet and Hawaii's environment, and educate you on many issues facing Hawaii. Just knowing these talented, friendly, smart folks have dedicated their energies to such a project gives me great hope. Thank you to all at HLH, and keep up the great work!

Visited October 2013
4 Thank RussellRuderman

Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Hawaiian Legacy Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

My partner and I have lived in Hawaii for over thirty years and have always appreciated and loved Koa wood products and furniture. In commemoration of moving to the Big Island we wanted to celebrate by planting a Koa tree. Hawaiian Legacy Hardwood gave us the opportunity to not only experience a very memorable day but to contribute to the reforesting of the native Koa tree. We contacted Betsy who was very helpful and accommodating in scheduling our tour. Upon our arrival, we were introduced to a very knowledgeable crew of people who gave us a tour of their nursery. Then Richard, our very friendly guide, drove us by ATV up through a beautiful misty forest to the planting site. We had such an amazing time that a few months later we returned with a good friend and we planted our third tree. This tour was a wonderful adventure and we left with great information and appreciation of all the hard work HLH is doing in their reforestation efforts. We would highly recommend this as a once in a lifetime back to nature experience.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Carl C
Waianuhea
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Unique & Beautiful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

The area on the Hamakua coast where the forest is being planted is beautiful and sacred. We felt very lucky to have the opportunity to visit the area and plant a koa tree! The guides are really welcoming and knowledgeable of the area and the project. We were amazed by the work they have already accomplished there and look forward to visiting our tree and the forest for many years to come. We feel humbled to be a part of such a special and positive reforestation effort! Thank you HLH for all the work you are doing to improve the future of our planet and environment.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Waianuhea
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing, life enhancing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Our entire experience with Hawaiian Legacy Hardwoods was amazing, starting with the help of Betsy in scheduling our time there. Betsy is kind and very accommodating, she went above and beyond to make our reforestation trip a possibility. When we arrived for our tour we were warmly greeted by four members, complete with an iPad check-in system and freshly baked cookies! My three friends and I take LOTS of pictures and they were more than happy to help us with that the entire way! Our tour took us through the beautiful forest and to our special tree planting site. There, we planted our koa trees as a beautiful rainbow watched over us. I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves the outdoors and cares about Hawaii's land. We wore a t-shirt, jeans and shoes. I would recommend bringing a jacket due to some windy areas and potential for rain. Best time for this is in the AM since there is usually less chance of rain. Please tell them Shelly from the Rainbow tour sent you! :)

Visited October 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

2 Thank Shelly S