“Kevin(owner) is a superstar! Jason(dive master) was great too!!!”

Hilo Ocean Adventures
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Blonde's Reef Express Snorkel Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hilo Ocean Adventures is a family-friendly, safe, and exciting scuba diving store right in Hilo. With a strong commitment to fun, Hilo Ocean Adventures provides scuba certifications and dive tours in all the favorite shore spots- and more! We also have the only Dive/Snorkel boat in Hilo!! Whether to purchase some new gear, to fill a tank, or check the shore report, we can't wait to meet you!
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I've been HANGING to get my wife into scuba. We happened to spot this shop whilst cruising around Hilo. As we had a spare day, my wife agreed to do a discovery dive. I booked myself in as well(why not?)...
Anyways, Kevin taught all the basic requirements for the discovery dive and did the training in the on site pool. Once Jason, the dive master had arrived and all training was completed we headed out to the dive site. Kevin assisted my wife throughout the whole dive and she did amazing. She was able to do everything that Kevin and myself did. We even spotted a 'spotted eagle ray' swimming about. Apparently Kev had only seen it 3 times in 13 years. As we got back to our jump out point there was also a turtle feeding from the same rock. Definitely enjoyed this dive. Much more so then recent dives in maui. Plenty of corals and sea life...we also ended up buying a bit of scuba gear from the store as well...

All reviews
in 11 reviews
in 7 reviews
in 8 reviews

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I've been wanting to get my SCUBA certification for at least 15 years. When we moved back to Hawaii I thought, "Now's my chance." It took me 10 more years. Life happens.

The staff at Hilo Ocean Adventures (HOA) have been great. They were friendly and helpful from the first day I walked in the door through my Open Water certification and, I'm sure, into the future. They were flexible about the timing of my training dives and worked with my schedule. I'm comfortable in the water, I know how to use my gear, and I can't wait to get back in. I would call my course a success.

I went on another dive with them today. My first "real" dive. It was a blast! And Kevin taught me a BUNCH about the dive site.

The shop carries a full line of equipment. I'm pretty sure if you need it, they have it. Wetsuits, rashguards, booties, compasses, slates, masks, fins, BCDs. It's all here.

I'm looking forward to learning more. I'll definitely be diving with HOA again!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I went here to find a new mask and was amazed at the variety they have. They are a fully stocked dive shop and offer scuba diving updates, adventures, basic and advanced dive education, and even a "try it" scuba experience.
GREAT value here...don't miss them.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I had my Scuba Diver certification and wanted to get my Open Water Certification, and my girlfriend needed to get her Scuba Diver certification. Kevin, the owner, was the best. Although I'm still a beginner, I'm pretty comfortable in the water. My girlfriend, however, was kind of nervous and had a tough time with a few of the tasks requried for the first-level certification. Kevin was super patient with her, and they have an indoor pool that is perfect to practice skills in before getting in the open water. If you want to get certified in Hilo, this is the place to go and Kevin is the man to see.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I had a great experience learning how to dive with Kevin and Jacob. Very friendly and experienced. I got my Open Water Certification at HOA. As a beginning diver, I really appreciated the ability that Kevin had to meet me where I'm at and help me develop the skills and confidence to keep going. I got a very good foundation on how to dive safely. I always felt I was in good hands both above and below the surface. I feel very well prepared to go to the next level of certification with the training I got from HOA. Kevin really knows the area and made it lots of fun. I look forward to returning.