“Pineapples Restaurant, Hilo, Hawaii”

Pineapple's Island Fresh Cuisine
Ranked #5 of 282 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We love Pineapples Restaurant, in downtown Hilo. The atmosphere is wonderful, bring an all open place, the only one like this in Hilo. The food is tops. Everything is very fresh, such as the fish is fresh catch, daily! One of our favorite dishes is the Caesar Salad, topped with fresh fish! The dressing is made from scratch, and better then home made. Fish and Chips, is also another great dish. The deserts are to die for too. See you at Pineapples!!! Aloha, Evonne

2  Thank EvonneHilo
Write a reviewReviews (1,786)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stopped in for a drink during happy hour had an appetizer and drink. Went back for dinner a few hours later, they just expanded their Sunday hours and that worked great for us? Fresh ahi was the best ever, fish tacos were good, the " dark & stormy " drink with local ginger was awesome.

Date of visit: January 2013
1  Thank Paul A
Reviewed February 8, 2013

First the good things about Pineapples. It has a very good location on a busy street corner in downtown Hilo. It has a very nice bar with lots of special tropical cocktails. The resautant is open air which gives it a very urban hip kind of vibe. The menu is nice with local favorites and they had interesting specials the night we were there.

Now the not so good things about Pineapples. It is open air on a busy street corner in downtown Hilo so that each time a truck drives by you get a blast of exhaust in the dining room. Our waitress was very nice and knew the menu well but the food came out of the kitchen very slowly. There were several of us in the party and there was at least 15 minutes between the delivery of the first and last entree to our table. The soups, salads and specials served at our table looked and tasted delicious. The remainder of the food served was mediocre at best. One entree served at our table was supposed to be a "roasted" vegetable pasta. What came was a plate of spaghetti tossed with a very bland red sauce and "steamed" vegetable. It was also lukewarm. One person at our table had creme brule for dessert that was inedible. It had been placed under a broiler for so long that that the top burned and turned into one big piece of burned toffee. It looked like a bowl of melted ice cream with a large piece of peanut brittle on top. The coffee served after dinner was not hot.

I will go back again and give them another try. But it looks like they still have some work to do to make this a consistently good restaurant.

2  Thank Islandguy808
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to write a rave review but it was all just ok. The atmosphere is a little odd. The inside is nice and feel like you are on a beach until the fire trucks go blazing by. It sits on the corner of a very busy intersection. Food was strange too but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe just odd flavor combinations. Best part of the meal was the mashed potatoes.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was our first time at this restaurant and we loved it. It is a new restaurant in the space of an old Mexican restaurant that closed. Zack, our excellent waiter, knew all the history, and said the restaurant was named after the building it was in. The venue is basically outdoor with a roof and open sides that look like they can be closed. It’s in downtown Hilo. We were there in the evening and it was chilly but were able to get a booth away from the wind.
Food was excellent. My husband and I shared a caprese salad of tomatoes and fresh mozzarella with the addition of small pieces of toast. I’ve never had the toast served with caprese before and loved it. Reminded me of a bruschetta. My husband had the fresh catch of the day, mahi mahi. My husband loves fresh fish and often complains it is usually overdone. This entre, however, was done perfectly for him. I had the shrimp scampi served with bread, an excellent garlic butter sauce, and fried capers, lots of them. Delicious. Zack was ever present. As soon as I thought of something we needed, he was there. My husband was unsure of the wine he wanted and Zack brought two generous samples for him to taste. I ordered my usual champagne, very reasonably priced, and the bartender had Zack check and see if I would rather have a small bottle (about two classes) for the same price. Cream Brule was also excellent and next tine I’m getting my own and not sharing.
All in all, an excellent experience. I will be very, very picky and make two small suggestions. First, it would have been nice if the bread with the scampi had been toasted. Second, we should not have been charged a dollar for vinegar and oil for the caprese. Actually, they should serve the vinegar and oil with it automatically. But these are minor compared with how excellent everything else was.

1  Thank Nancy B