“A Great way to tour the Island”

Kamaaina Custom Tours
Ranked #6 of 40 Outdoor Activities in Hilo
More attraction details
Owner description: Please view our rates and website at kamaainacustomtours.com... Private Full-Service Custom SUV tours of Hawaii Island. Competitively priced All-Inclusive Charter rates. Combination Volcano and Waterfall/Rainforest Tours available. Hike a lava tube and swim with Green Sea Turtles! Snorkel the shallow coral reefs at a Black Sand Beach. Two Chevy Suburbans for larger groups. Special couple's packages available. An array of fresh local fruit, local snacks and full beverage service are provided. Winter of Certificate of Excellence 2014-2017.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were on a Hawaiian Islands cruise with Princess and on our stop at Hilo on the big Island we decided to take the tour of the Island with Robert. Let me say that was a great decision. Robert is very professional and courteous, even offering any snacks or drinks that he has on hand with him for his tours.
We were taken to locations such as rainbow falls, Akatsuka Orchid gardens, Hilo Coffee Mill, Volcanoes national park and to a black sand beach.
Robert was also very informative pointing out key locations and other facts about each of the sites that we visited.
For anyone that is looking to spend the day touring the big island from Hilo I definitely recommend doing it with Kamaaina Custom tours namely with Robert as your guide.

All reviews
"great tour"
in 13 reviews
"combination tour"

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We spent a great day with Robert traveling around the island..he was friendly, relaxed and knowledgeable - ensuring that our day was as easy as possible. We had booked the lava flow tour but unfortunately the lava flow was no longer accessible. However, Robert took us to Kiluaea at nightfall which was just amazing!
The drinks on ice throughout the day were an added bonus
Thanks again for a great day Robert
Raych, Nathan, Zane and Chad

Ps - thanks for returning the iPod in the morning!!!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Our tour guide (Robert) was quick to respond to my e-mails. He was at our cruise ship at the agreed upon time, holding a sign with our name. He came prepared with a step stool to make it easier for my elderly mother to get into his very nice & air conditioned van. Robert loaded & unloaded her collapsible wheelchair at each stop. He gave us options as to what we would like to see & asked us about ourselves to help customize our tour. He bought us rare & exotic fruit to try, macadamia nuts, and assorted drinks to enjoy throughout our tour. Robert was very friendly & really shined when sharing his knowledge while leading us through the volcano museum. Everyone in our group (ages 18 through 76) enjoyed our tour, seeing everything listed in his tour package & even more, including wild sea turtles, dolphin, walking through a lava tube & rain forest, black sand beach, and beautiful waterfall. We even had time for some shopping. Thanks Robert for a memorable trip.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank Salathrop
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My fiancé and I were traveling on the NCL Hawaiian Island Cruise and had a day to spend in Hilo. After searching the many reviews on TripAdvisor, I decided on Kamaaina Custom Tours. We were dead set on Kalapana Lava Flow Tour since we wanted to get up close to the lava. We received an email two nights before our day in Hilo mentioning that they had talked with the park ranger and that the lava flow had shifted and was no longer a 4 mile hike from the road, but now 10 miles. They had offered to refund our money for our trip, but thankfully, we decided to use our reservation for another one of their tours.

Our day in Hilo arrived and we ended up meeting our tour guide, Coconut Joe, in the waiting area after disembarking from the cruise ship. Coconut Joe is the most relaxed, happy go-lucky individual that we have ever met. He asked us what we were in the mood to do and built a tour around what interest us most, we didn’t stop anywhere that we didn’t want to and we spent extra time at the places that we wanted more time to spend.

Our first stop of the day was Akatsuka Orchid Gardens. This place was incredible, the flowers smelled amazing, we bought some souvenirs and we were able to use the restroom on the way to Volcanoes National Park. After departing we made our way to Volcanoes National Park.

Volcanoes National Park was really one of the highlights of the trip. Coconut Joe was more than happy to take pictures of the two of us since as a couple traveling by ourselves, there are many times were finding someone to take our picture is difficult. After stopping by the Steam Vents, we headed up to the museum where Coconut Joe took more pictures and then he knowledgeably spoke about everything inside the museum. We even had people from other tours listening in on him to learn something that came from a local. After the museum, we stopped at the lava tubes and hiked along a trail to see of the great scenery in the area. After spending a few hours at the park, we made our way to the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Farm.

The Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Farm was such a fun place to visit. Coconut Joe knew everyone there so we didn’t feel pressured by sampling every flavor of nut that they had for sampling. We grabbed some food there before heading out to the beach.

On the way to the Beach, we had mentioned that we would really like to snorkel. Coconut Joe said that he had borrowed out his snorkel gear to a friend, but had an additional set at his house. Instead of telling us that we were out of luck, he drove to his house to pick up his gear to accommodate us. While we were there, he grabbed some Lychee and other various fruits, for us to chow down on at the beach.

We then went to Richardson Ocean Park. On the way, we found out that Coconut Joe’s family had owned this plot of oceanfront land while he was growing up and the family had gifted it back to the community. Coconut Joe’s childhood home still resides on the property. This place was the highlight of our trip by far! It was a black sand beach, but seemed relatively undiscovered by tourists. We found out that this is also one of the few beaches where the Green Sea Turtles come and sun themselves on the rocks and beach. We probably got over a hundred pictures of these amazing creatures. While we were snorkeling, we also ran into one of the largest turtles I had ever seen in my life. This was one of the most incredible places that I had ever been to in my life.

Enjoying this amazing experience, we didn’t realize that we were well past the time that our tour was supposed to last. Did we hear a complaint from Coconut Joe? Not a peep, he never rushed us and was more than happy to treat us as one of his family.

My fiancé and I couldn’t have asked for a better tour guide that knew the area, made us part of his family and let us have one of the most memorable adventures on our Hawaiian Adventure. He is truly one of the best people we had ever met and we can’t wait to go back and share another great experience with him. 5 Stars does not do him justice.

2  Thank Bryan M
See more reviews
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I read reviews of Kamaaina custom tours on Tripadvisor. I took three of my teenage kids on a carnival cruise to hawaii and we only had one day on the big island in hilo and had lots of stuff we wanted to see. I spoke with Robert via email and text. He was very responsive and made all the arrangements for our custom tour. I was able to pay via Paypal, which made me feel better since I was several thousand miles away. When we arrived in Hilo he met us in the cruise terminal with a sign with our last name. He drove us everywhere we wanted to go and had an easy nature about him. He was extremely knowledgable and told us about local attractions and fauna. Robert also had a cooler of cold drinks for us and when my kids requested drinks he didn't have, he stopped and got the soda they like! He also brought snorkel gear for us to use, towels and local fruit to sample like white pineapples and apple bananas...super tasty. We used every moment of our time in Hilo and were able to squeeze in a trip to a coffee farm, the volcano, a beautiful waterfall, a lava tube, a steam vent, a black sand beach and snorkeling with turtles! I can't imagine a better tour or use of our time. I highly recommend Robert!

1  Thank Investig8or430