“Scuba Diving in Hilo, HI with Nautilus Dive Center”

Nautilus Dive Center
Medford, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
“Scuba Diving in Hilo, HI with Nautilus Dive Center”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

This is a great little outfit to go with. I was unable to do the popular Manta Ray dive in Kona because of the altitude of where I was staying on the south-side of the Island (3,500 ft). I booked with the Nautilus Dive Center in Hilo just to get some dives in. We did a 2 tank shore dive going to about 50 ft (they did this for my safety so I could drive to the place I was staying a few hrs after diving). We saw 20+ giant sea turtles and numerous moray eels. The weather was a bit crapy, but it was still a great day of diving with these guys!

Visited February 2014

Chiba, Japan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“wonderful experience!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

During our recent trip to the Hawaiian Islands, we decided to take a snorkel tour at Nautilus Dive Center in Hilo, Big Island. We had a great time snorkeling at Richardson Beach. Our tour guide, Bill, was very knowledgeable about marine animals and safety. He gave us instruction about how to use snorkels properly. They have a helpful staff, good gear and a great location – so easy to find.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank tanaka_yuko
richmond
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A bad day of diving is better than the best day at work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Did a two tank shore dive with Bill (owner) and Josh (dive master). Bill is a guy I would love to go diving with some more and listen to his stories. Josh is learning but very attentive. He even setup my gear for me. Great service. Would have love the dives to be longer than 30 mins. but due to the lousy visibility that day, I can understand. The only complaint i have and not much at that is that they did not seem to be engaged enough to determine my experience level. (i have over 150 dives, most in cold water, and deep water, low visibility, etc.) so they seemed to default to treating me as a newbie. No big deal but could be an improvement area. If you are a newbie , this is the place to be. Nervous? these two guys will make you feel so relaxed and at ease. i still enjoyed my time as the title says.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank c s
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hilo Happiness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Arrived in Hilo via the cruise ship Carnival Miracle. After getting off the ship, I weighed in on taking a taxi or walking to the shop. After being handed a map of Hilo, I believed I could walk to the shop, but after a mile and one half, I realized I still had some distance to go. Looking over my shoulder for a cab or bus, a truck pulls up alongside me and asks if I'm diving. I say yes, and he was John, my dive insructor from Nautilus. The day was saved!

Upon reaching the shop, I paid for my rental equipment and was then told by Bill De Rooy (the owner) that I would need to use a wetsuit.... Huh? I am in the tropics, but here in Hilo the dive site we would be using is where underground streams from Mauna Loa run into the ocean. A fellow diver (Annette) lent me her son's gloves, and I was good to go. Bill correctly estimated the weight I needed, so my buoyancy was outstanding. The dives were shore entry, and once we made our way, it was beautiful diving. Visibility was very good. Plenty of turtles, endemic marine life, corals and much more. These 2 dives are where I saw 2 fascinating nudibranchs, 1 that Annette showed me was square in shape and had an almost flourescent purple color on it's backside. I've never seen anything like it. John was great at pointing out many unusual marine species, including some of the largest Trumpetfish I've ever seen. After the dives, there were water fountains, showers and restrooms nearby.

Overall, a great day of diving with very nice, helpful people who really embody the aloha spirit. The next time I visit Hilo, Nautilus Dive Center will be the first place I go.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jimbo94
Tucson, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Hilo Scuba Diving? Hell, Yes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

If you are going to be in Hilo and are interested in one of the best dives on the Island, run - don't walk - to the Nautilius Dive Center and take their Leleiwi Beach Park dive. Absolutely gorgeous! We swam with no less than 10 sea turtles, saw hundreds of variations of tropical fish and coral. The instructors, John and Annette were awesome and very knowledgeable. We were out at 8 AM and had two dives, which were 45-50 minutes each with one break in between. Water temp and clarity were perfect. Prices are lower than anywhere else on the island that I found - but in this case I got a heck of a lot more than what I paid for. I would highly recommend Nautilus to anyone that is thinking about diving on the Hilo side of the Big Island. I was going to drive to the Kona side to do the night manta dive but am really glad that I chose this dive instead. I absolutely loved the sea turtles!

Visited September 2013