See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I traveled to the Big Island with our cousin, and we visited all around the island, ending up in Hilo at the Lotus Garden with Megan and Jasper. This was by far our most unique lodging. We loved being right in town, just steps away from the farmer's market and a short drive to many interesting things. Megan and Jasper were excellent hosts, assisting us in many ways, and recommending places to visit and eat that were great. This was our last weekend on the Big Island, so in many ways it was bittersweet, but we couldn't have asked for a more memorable way to end our trip. We loved staying in a place that was obviously loved by the owners. Will we return to the Lotus Garden? Absolutely!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sharon M
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We have just enjoyed our second visit to Lotus Cottage. It is a lovely dwelling, peaceful, cozy and inviting. Lush bath towels and bedding. So comfortable! The location is excellent, right dowtown in Hilo, near the Farmer's Market and within easy walking distance of several excellent museums. It is a fairly short drive to the Scenic Drive and the Hawaiian Botanical Garden, a must see. We enjoyed the nearby used bookstore and art gallery, which is sadly moving! There are some stairs, which might be problematic for some. It was not an issue for us. I have delighted in working with Megan during the booking process, and she and Jasper are so hospitable and welcoming. We hope to return!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pamela G
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Due to weather on the mainland (the polar vortex), I was forced to change all my accommodations on the big island and could no longer spend the night in Hilo. When I explained this to Megan she said told me policy wouldn't allow her to refund the money I paid her 2 months earlier. Policy? She owns the place I'm pretty sure she could make exception to policy due to the fact the airlines changed my plans not me. I would understand if I changed my mind but I didn't United Airlines did. When I asked her to split the cost she didn't even bother to respond to me so hope you don't have to change your plans if you plan to stay here.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank jhitch46
Megan I, Owner at The Lotus Garden Hilo, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

At the time his reservation was made, the policy regarding refunds were clearly stated requiring 14 days advance notice of cancellation when reserving our Lohi Apartment. Unfortunately we cannot operate on the same basis as a hotel as we aren't as easily able to fill last minute vacancies. Wherever possible we try to offer alternative dates or to fill the vacancy so that we can provide a refund. In this case, neither solution was possible. While we understand his disappointment at canceling but we were also sorry to see this guest felt it necessary to post this as several communications were exchanged with this guest and we attempted to find a resolution with him.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed at the Lotus Garden at both the beginning, middle and end of my Big Island trip. The plan had originally been just one night but it really suited me there & I also loved Hilo's ramshackle charm, excellent markets and Hawaiiana vintage shopping. I stayed in all of the rooms bar the Lohi Apartment & find it hard to say which I liked most! They were all clean, breezy and comfortable - also colourful and perfectly ensconced in the gardens and the overall plantation-home vibe. There were big, cheap breakfasts a few footsteps away and all sorts of tropical-fusion delicacies at the markets for lunch. Hosts Megan and Jasper were relaxed and super friendly - makes a big difference when you're travelling alone. Highly recommended Big Island stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Lohi Apartment the first four nights of November. It is clean and convenient, in a sort of compound in downtown Hilo. The decor and grounds are serene. We loved the fountain and fish pond next to the entrance, and the outdoor shower was a treat. The apartment was at one time a storefront, and so sits directly on the sidewalk. Megan and Jasper have done a good job of creating privacy, and even offered to let us stay in another room that isn't on the street for our first night. This was because we happened to come in on the night of Hilo's big annual party, "Black and White night". We chose to stay in the Lohi, and enjoyed the festivities with the town.

I slept well, but my husband had difficulty sleeping because of the invasive cochi frogs that have an exceptionally loud voice they use all night. This is no fault of Megan and Jasper's -- they are all over this side of the island.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple