“Hope your plans don't change!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hilo
The Lotus Garden Hilo
Ranked #1 of 9 Specialty Lodging in Hilo
“Hope your plans don't change!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Due to weather on the mainland (the polar vortex), I was forced to change all my accommodations on the big island and could no longer spend the night in Hilo. When I explained this to Megan she said told me policy wouldn't allow her to refund the money I paid her 2 months earlier. Policy? She owns the place I'm pretty sure she could make exception to policy due to the fact the airlines changed my plans not me. I would understand if I changed my mind but I didn't United Airlines did. When I asked her to split the cost she didn't even bother to respond to me so hope you don't have to change your plans if you plan to stay here.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank jhitch46
Megan I, Owner at The Lotus Garden Hilo, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
At the time his reservation was made, the policy regarding refunds were clearly stated requiring 14 days advance notice of cancellation when reserving our Lohi Apartment. Unfortunately we cannot operate on the same basis as a hotel as we aren't as easily able to fill last minute vacancies. Wherever possible we try to offer alternative dates or to fill the vacancy so that we can provide a refund. In this case, neither solution was possible. While we understand his disappointment at canceling but we were also sorry to see this guest felt it necessary to post this as several communications were exchanged with this guest and we attempted to find a resolution with him.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed at the Lotus Garden at both the beginning, middle and end of my Big Island trip. The plan had originally been just one night but it really suited me there & I also loved Hilo's ramshackle charm, excellent markets and Hawaiiana vintage shopping. I stayed in all of the rooms bar the Lohi Apartment & find it hard to say which I liked most! They were all clean, breezy and comfortable - also colourful and perfectly ensconced in the gardens and the overall plantation-home vibe. There were big, cheap breakfasts a few footsteps away and all sorts of tropical-fusion delicacies at the markets for lunch. Hosts Megan and Jasper were relaxed and super friendly - makes a big difference when you're travelling alone. Highly recommended Big Island stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Phoenix, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Lohi Apartment the first four nights of November. It is clean and convenient, in a sort of compound in downtown Hilo. The decor and grounds are serene. We loved the fountain and fish pond next to the entrance, and the outdoor shower was a treat. The apartment was at one time a storefront, and so sits directly on the sidewalk. Megan and Jasper have done a good job of creating privacy, and even offered to let us stay in another room that isn't on the street for our first night. This was because we happened to come in on the night of Hilo's big annual party, "Black and White night". We chose to stay in the Lohi, and enjoyed the festivities with the town.

I slept well, but my husband had difficulty sleeping because of the invasive cochi frogs that have an exceptionally loud voice they use all night. This is no fault of Megan and Jasper's -- they are all over this side of the island.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at the Lotus Garden cottage a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. There was plenty of room for the 4 of us (including two fully grown sons) and it was a very pleasant cottage- nicely furnished and very comfortable and relaxing. The setting was unique- a secluded compound yet once you go out the gate you are in the center of Hilo- steps from the KTA supermarket, Ocean Sushi, and the farmers' market, just for starters. We really enjoyed having a nicely outfitted kitchen so we could store and prep all the fruit we bought at the farmers' market. As an added bonus, Wilson's shave ice has recently relocated to a spot immediately next door- I thought I was in heaven, coming out the gate each morning between a wonderful artisan gallery and an excellent old-school shave ice place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank veggiefan
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We are a family of five traveling with young kids and we stayed in The Sugar Shack and rented the cottage as a vacation rental. The location was perfect ( very close to the market, restaurants and there was a supermarket right on the corner). We loved our stay at the Sugar Shack. Megan and Jasper made us feel like at home. They made their best to accomodate us (like put an extra bed for our little one). The kids loved their stay and the sound of the birds (or frogs ?) at night (made us feel like we were in a tropical garden). Every thing was very clean. We definitely recommend to stay at the Sugar Shack (great location for families).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ErickJulie
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

My little boy and I, who are traveling on a fairly tight budget, needed a place to stay in Hilo for one night (we had a late flight) before driving up to Volcano Village. We took the ground floor room in the Sugar Shack, which shares a bathroom and kitchen with the upstairs, larger room. The one with the queen bed was perfectly fine for us to share (my son is 9). The house is lovely, and clean, and their avocado tree had so much fruit that they sent us on our way with many! Also, they are a block and a half away from the Hilo Farmers Market. Just the right choice for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Poseidonis
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had a great stay at the Sugar Shack! We actually spent nights in both the attic and the downstairs bedroom. The attic room is very big, open air and has a large comfortable bed, just like in the photos. The downstairs room was smaller, with a small bed and was less airy, but there is a window and a fan available to use. We preferred the attic- it is definitely worth staying in the attic if you can.

Downstairs there is a small kitchen, living space and a shared bathroom. The only downside to the Sugar Shack is that there were bugs. However, we expected this given the tropical climate. Also, don't be surprised if you see gecko's on the wall.

Megan was great, very hospitable, friendly, and helpful with giving suggestions on what to do in Hilo. The Sugar Shack is in a great location, right in downtown Hilo, near several restaurants, shops, the Farmer's Market, and grocery store.

We definitely recommend staying at the Sugar Shack!

Room Tip: The attic is the best!