“Awesome stay, wonderful base from which to explore the Hilo area”

Orchid Tree Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 19 Hilo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The premier status of Orchid Tree B&B in Hilo is well deserved. They have devoted much thought, time and love into the detail and care of this delightful B&B as evidenced by glowing compliments from past guests, many of whom return to stay again at this beautiful piece of paradise. We were a couple + a friend -- the spacious Hula Suite was perfect for us. The breakfasts are spectacular and delicious - oh, how we will miss them! Steven and Su exude generous hospitality, great advice and insider tips of what to see and do on the Hilo side of the Big Island. They were the ultimate host/hostess. Relax and stay a while -- you won't regret it. We have stayed at various hotels and B&B's on the Hilo side, but none can quite compare -- our hope is that Orchid Tree has availability when we visit again next year. A hui hou.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Val_gmail

Reviewed May 27, 2012

The price, location, and photos, when compared to much of the competition, made Orchid Tree seem too good to be true. I trusted tripadvisor, booked it anyway, and was glad I did. Steve and Su were wonderful hosts, and Orchid Tree B&B met my high expectations.

The Koi Suite? Spacious and spotless, with a magnificent shower. The bed? Plush and comfortable. The fridge held my beer stash, and the sofa held my feet while I read my book. The coqui frogs were a bit loud, but fit the exotic feel of Hilo, and simply closing the screen door and turning on the air conditioner solved that issue. (We left it open the second night.) When my jet-lagged wife crashed early, the hosts invited me to sit for a cocktail with them on the porch.

The next morning, when I finally saw the well-maintained landscape and Koi pond, it was as beautiful as the island itself. A breakfast of fruits with breads or waffles start the day with Hawaiian colors and tastes. Travel guides and magazines are placed all about, but they weren't needed. Steve answered every question I had.

If you have a car, Orchid Tree works for journeys all around Hilo, and also for full-day or half-day trips to Puna or Volcano. Then again, I wish I had a bit more time just to sit poolside at the B&B and hear more of stories about the Reef Girls and the family surfing history...

Why just 4-of-5? Well, it's not the Mauna Lani, but that's not really fair, right? So, measuring Orchid Tree B&B against other B&B's I've been to worldwide, here are my three minor critiques: (1) iPad wifi did not work in the Koi Suite (it worked fine sitting in the comfortable cushioned porch furniture right outside my door); (2) fridge freezer (for my Snickers stash :) was blocked by overgrown ice (to his credit, Steve thawed it out after I mentioned it); and (3) coffee doesn't brew until 7am Hawaii-time, causing a long caffeineless wait for a Floridian who couldn't possibly sleep past 5am local time. (While awaiting the Kona coffee, take the short walk to a beautiful sunrise at Honoli`i Beach Park.)

Bottom line: I would visit again, and I should have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Koi Suite perfect for couples.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GatorKeith
Reviewed May 12, 2012

It's probably a sign you're at a great bed and breakfast when you walk in and don't want to leave -- no matter what you have planned. Orchid Tree inspires such feelings -- one glimpse at the amazing backyard and I just wanted to relax and soak it all in.

We stayed in a large suite with two beds -- lots of room to spread out luggage and have space to spare. There is a back door that leads on the patio, where breakfast is served at 8 each morning. The yard is filled with tropical trees and plants, and also features a pond, pool, and hot tub. We enjoyed spotting geckos and listening to the birds -- and also the coqui frogs at night. Breakfast comes with an amazing fruit platter -- a great way to start the day.

Steve was a very welcoming and helpful host. Definitely take the short walk around back to the surfing beach -- a beautiful spot. A great stay & would return again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sketchy321
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My Wife and I stayed with Steve and Su for 2 nights on our honeymoon and we were overwhelmed by The Orchid Tree. Our only regret is that we didn't stay for longer. The room we stayed in was spacious, very well decorated with a big and comfy bed.

Every morning Steve prepared the most delicious plate of fresh fruit along with coffee, tea, waffles, cereals, yoghurts and juice.

You won't regret staying at The Orchid Tree - it really is a small slice of paradise in a wonderful location with wonderful hosts.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Wow, this B&B does live up to its rave reviews. It is just outside of the downtown area and a 2 minute walk to a very beautiful surfing beach. Our room (Hula room) was very nice, clean and exactly what we needed, plus a little more (the private living room area was a nice surprise). There is also a gorgeous backyard and patio area with fruit trees, a koi pond (if you are lucky you may get a kiss from his fish Lilly) and swimming pool. Steve is a wonderful host who really has great pointers on what to do in Hilo. The breakfasts were incredible...the fruit platters consisted of about 10 different fruits (some local to his backyard) and there was always fresh coffee, bagels, cereal and much more.

If you are heading to Hilo, this is definitely where you want to stay!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hula room, which has a private entrance and is definitely large enough to accomodat...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hawaiihula2323
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Believe what you read. Steve and Su have it figured out.

Mahalo guys! Hope we see you at Hapuna.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Deserving of number one on Tripadvisor. We felt like we were staying with our favourite family as we were welcomed to a very comfortable and spacious home. We were able to enjoy the communal areas unencumbered - pool, jacuzzi and outdoor lounging area. Additionally, there was ample quality reading material about the region, along with the privilege for guests, that the hosts share their personal choice of bits and pieces as decorations for the rooms.
A fitting end to our adventures on the Big Island. Thank you!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple