“Great place!”

Ranked #4 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Hilo
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great place!”
Reviewed October 14, 2010

This is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. The dorm rooms have big roomy bunk beds, clean bedding and have a nice feel to them. The bathroom and kitchen were clean and the communal areas were welcoming. The staff were very helpful and the place felt safe. There are only 2 negative points I have. The first being the noise. The hostel is situated on probably the busiest junction in town, which is noisy day and night. When I was there a road sweeping lorry must have gone up and down the road 3 or 4 times during 1 night. The staff do have free ear plugs if you ask for them. The only other issue I had was being put in a family dorm with just 1 man. We were both a bit uncomfortable with the arrangement but had no choice as the female and male dorms were full.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Great service, clean room. We booked into a room with its own bathroom. Great facilities for young people on a budget, Sparkling kitchen. Sitting and dining area is old world Hawaii, beautifully restored and maintained. Top place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Having spent time travelling i found this is the best hostel I have stayed in.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, and the service is fantastic. My experience at the Hilo Bay Hostel added depth and enjoyment to my experience of the Big Island. Moreover, it's the best value hostel I have used.

Overall, great value, customer care and quality...top marks.

• Stayed August 2010
Napa, California
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We had reservations at a B&B at Volcano, but discovered it was a sort of scam, so drove back to Hilo to find a place to stay. I had previously explored hostels, but been disappointed with what I had found. Price was a major consideration, though. Quite by accident we saw the Hilo Bay Hostel, and my partner went in to inquire. Since we were a little desperate, the information he came back with sounded OK, and we checked in for one night. We wanted a private room, and they gave us a room with three beds, but advised us that it was highly unlikely that another person would need it, as they still had a number of single beds in dorms. They also told us that we could have a private room the next night, so we decided to stay our entire time on the Big Island. It turned out to be a delightful stay! Beds were comfortable; as in most hostels, you make up your own bed. Everything was very clean. There was free wifi, several computers for internet access, a well equipped kitchen, very helpful staff, and parking in a city lot across the street. Location was convenient for walking, too. I lived in Hawaii years ago, and Hilo IS about as authentic Hawaiian as you can get. It's not an exciting, touristic type of place, if that's what you are looking for, and it's humid, which makes the buildings look sort of dreary and old, but in it's own way, that's part of the charm. I loved it!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
ca
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Great place to stay for the price. Very nice employees - friendly, caring, and helpful.
Good location.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Dunedin
Reviewed March 8, 2010

I stayed at the Hilo Bay Hostel for 3 weeks over Dec 2009/Jan 2010 and I found it to be the best hostel I have ever been a guest at. My partner and I were travelling with another couple and we truly enjoyed ourselves. The location is unbeatable, situated in a historic building in the centre of downtown, we were walking distance to everything that Hilo has to offer. The service we received while staying here was welcoming and genuinely helpful. The staff were able to suggest some great day-trips to the Volcano, Mauna Kea Observatory, Akaka Falls and local snorkelling spots. We found the private rooms to be of a exceptional standard, very clean and spacious with comfortable beds. The bathrooms and kitchen were equally clean and well maintained. There is also a charming outdoor patio situated next to the building for guest use and the in-house internet cafe was good value. Overall, it was a pleasure to stay at the Hilo Bay Hostel and we will defnitely be back!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I'm writing this review somewhat late (I had my trip more than six months ago) but everything about this hostel sticks in my mind, simply because it was one of the best I've stayed in. I was on holiday with a friend who was working up in the Mauna Kea Observatory and we had a private room for two weeks. I can't praise the room enough because, rather than a dingy little room like a lot of hostels seem to provide, I was met with two queen size beds in a large and bright room. My friend and I were lucky to have the room with an interesting mural outside it. Later on I extended my stay and had to change rooms - my new room was just as good as the original.

The hostel facilities were good. There was a well-equipped kitchen that is capable of meeting your basic cooking needs and there's the choice of eating in the communal area or going outside to the patio area, which had loads of flowers. There were two female toilets in one room and a separate room had two showers. I never had any problem gaining access to the showers, being an early riser, but there was the occasional queue during the weekends when the hostel was busier. The internet facilities were good too with about six computers provided for a small fee; for laptop users there is wi-fi. I can't remember the prices but remember that they were reasonable. The hostel also had a comfortable communal lounge area, which I was allowed to wait in after I had checked out. The staff were all lovely and I still get a smile on my face when I see the t-shirt I was given for staying so long.

The hostel location was good. It was in a fairly quiet area but close to the action. There's a beach just two blocks away and a really good cafe (Bear's) for breakfast around the corner and also a great Thai restaurant around the opposite corner. The $1 cinema is a short walk away. The waterfall is about five minutes drive away and to get to the other side of the island, e.g. Kona, took about three hours roughly. There's parking in a public car lot opposite the hostel, which is free.

All in all, I will be staying here again if my friend comes back out to use the telescopes on the mountain and I'd recommend this hostel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends