“Staff go the extra mile - and then a few more!”
Review of Hilo Bay Hostel

Hilo Bay Hostel
Ranked #3 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Hilo
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The living/communal areas of the hostel were fantastic - old-school, reminds one of a 1920's British hunting lodge (or something!), they have free coffee, tea, WiFi and surprised us with help with things like doing our washing whilst we were out (so we didn't have to wait around). When we came back a second time they even gave us a bottle of wine and some soft drinks in our fridge! We saved a lot of money staying in this hostel rather than a hotel, not only because the hostel was cheap, but because the location means you have access to remarkably cheap food (both take-out and supermarkets). Finally, I would recommend this to couples or pairs of people if they were normally going to get a hotel, it's a much better experience - hotel staff in Hilo are very "cold" in terms of customer service in my experience!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Sadly, my experience was not what I hoped after reading the reviews. I booked a private room, which looked very nice (but it was hot), but the bedding had many bed bugs. There were regular beg bugs, plus little red bugs, and a cockroach (which happily, was dead). I asked if I could change rooms, which was not possible, but the staff member I talked to didn't seem very sympathetic or helpful. Also they get you to give a key deposit (which is fine), but the keys can't be returned before 7am, when the office opened. They offered me a strange work around where I could return at 9pm to collect my deposit, but given there were at least 6 people leaving the hostel before 7 that morning, they really should get a better system. The bathrooms were clean, but the toilets and showers were quite cramped and lacked privacy. The plus side was that there was a good vibe in the hostel with lots of hostellers and staff getting along well together. The good vibe was unfortunately not worth it for me.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Cafelow
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The staff and management go above and beyond the the level of service you recieve!!! The facility is very clean, as well as a centrally located for all activities on THE BIG ILSAND. Thier positive connection with the universe was very enlighting.The comman areas were well kept,relaxing, making it very easy to make friends.

Room Tip: Highly suggest obtaining room 7,great view,constant breeze not to forget GREAT SUNRISE!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed at the Hilo Bay Hostel during 3 days the first week of October 2012. The staff is friendly and the place is beautiful. It's like a old house on the second floor of a building. The bathroom, the showers, the kitchen, the common area and the bedrooms are really clean. I was in a 8 females dortoirs. The bed was comfortable and the sheets clean. The room a bit noisy because of the busy street, but it was the only thing that was negative.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2012

At Hilo Bay Hostel it was a very nice place, kitchen, showers, dinner room, social room GREAT, beds was not comfortable, and since we had to have the window open because of the heat the noise from the street we were not able to sleep well. BUT the people there was VERY nice , and helpful .

Room Tip: Away from the street, should be more quite
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lucie S
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights in a private room with shared baths. It's ok if you want to save money(67$/night), but you also cut on privacy. It is very clean and my room had a mini-refrigerator. It has the same problem many other hotels in Hawaii seem to have: tiny little ants! I also saw a cockroach... It's a hostel (you have to share everything and all rooms open to the lobby, which is always frequented, not so fun when you come back feom shower) but quite clean and very acceptable in Hilo. I would recommend it to young travelers.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank GenC1980
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This Hostel is located in a fantastic part of Hill, close to food and shopping. It's in what used to be a hotel in the twenties or thirties and it has the charm and elegance to show for it. The floors are beautiful hardwood, the ceilings are towering, and the details such as bannisters and mouldings give it an Old Hawaii feel. The beds in my private room were doubles and the room itself was huge. The common area is a gathering place for travellers, and unlike many hostels it wasn't obnoxiously noisy or rambunctious. The staff is exceedingly friendly and helpful.

The bathrooms are neat and I never once had to wait to use a shower.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends