“"Terrible!"”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hilo
Country Club Hawaii Condo Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I came to Hilo just for one night to give a talk at the University and thought I'd save some money by not going to a too expensive hotel. I really don't need much to be happy with a hotel, but this hotel was really the most terrible experience that I've ever had. The building is run down, people are living there long term and leave their doors open and run around half-naked. The smell in the room was unbearable, I could smell what people cooked next door as the it came out of the ventilation system right into my room. There was dust everywhere (not just in hidden corners, but very obvious on the bed and the kitchen shelves). The staff at the registration desk was really unfriendly. They wouldn't give you the password for the wifi but way to type it in to your computer themselves. When the lady walked away with my laptop and I was running after her to ask her what she was doing she slammed the door right in front of me shouting she wouldn;t touch anything. Although they say you can only use the wifi in the lobby area it still works when you're sitting at the balcony of your room. But this is definitely the worst experience I've ever had (and I travel a lot, I even stayed at better places in India). Don't go there!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank Dominika W
There are newer reviews for Country Club Hawaii Condo Hotel

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

This is an older hotel with key entry and kind of a low budget feel to it. The beds are not very Comfortable and the room is not real clean. I saw a couple of small roaches but they were not too scary. No wifi in the room and to get wifi on the patio you have to give your computer to the lady who logs in for you. She said that they have had guests download X-rated movies so they want to know who is doing that if that were to happen. I can't amagine anyone downloading any movie because the connection was so slow it was barely adequate to send out a few emails. Not my favorite place. Several hotels were sold out before I got to this one. I would recommend trying to get into another hotel first.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Jimemarriott
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was set to stay here for a work contract. It didn't look so bad from the street but once inside I just wanted to run. The hall was dimly lit and people were actually lurking about. Lurking! It honestly looked like a scene from a movie - a place where a crook might hide. The room was a joke. I was told the room would have a kitchen. Well what they call a kitchen is what I call a hotplate. The shower was filthy as were the curtains. I didn't even bother to stay. In the time since I have passed this place many times and have noticed police cars and ambulances parked out front. In fact when I went to get my room refund a fight broke out on an upper floor and the women behind the counter told a man to "Check it out and let me know if I need to call the cops."

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank Larry F
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stayed at the Hilo Bay Country Club, this is anything but a country club! We got the remote at the front desk! The building itself is rundown! When we walked into our room, it was musty and smelled of a smoke! There was no maid service! We had to use the same towels for 5 days( no replacement towels)! Rubbish, we had to empty on our own, but no extra rubbish bags! We bought dish soap, Febreeze extra strength, & toilet paper! This is a bring your own towel, soap, rubbish bag kind of place! It is inexpensive! Only Internet by the check in which has 2 round tables to sit at or a bench! I recommend Uncle Billy's just a few buildings away!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Lou C
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I tried to buy a candy from the vending machine at 6:49 p.m. on July 18th, 2012. The machine ate my money, the woman at the desk was very rude telling me that they have nothing to do with the vending machines and if it ate my money to call the company but yet there is no signs on the machines that state its not there machine's.I said you should have signs up to which she replied that there was a sign up so obviously someone took it down.Then when I already walked out of the lobby she sarcastically and very loudly said that if I don't like it to take my buisness else where.Very rude, Hawaii is all about aloha and that person was a bad choice for an employee!!! It is not because I am not from here eithe as I am local! All this over $1.25 candy bar! Save yourself the trouble and walk down the sidewalk to Uncle Billy's General Store. Better service and atmosphere.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. Horrible management. To experience the true Aloha spirit of Hawaii stay at Uncle B...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank connie l
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

I am literally writing this 15 minutes after experiencing this terrible place. We are locals that live on the Kona side. We came for the weekend for our daughters canoe paddling regatta and are staying overnight. I found this place on Craigslist and the picture of the room looked nice/decent enough. I want to point out we are not "high makmaka" AT ALL. I've had my share of stays in low budget hotels but holy moly! This place was funky. It's definitely a condo with full time renters and condo owners rent out rooms via Craigslist or VRBO. Which can be OK in some cases.
It's true they give you the remote when you check in. I should have walked away then....Actually, we should have turned around when we drove up. But we thought, oh well, it's just a place to sleep we're gonna be busy all evening, etc. Anyway, the elevator wasn't working so we walked up the rusty stairs to the room anticipating what was to come. The room smelled like super musty mildew. I'm allergic to mold and had to turn and walk away! The front desk lady was helpful. Explained that any refund had to be made directly with the owner (we prepaid via PayPal).
I called the owner "Dan" and he said he'd do what he could to reimburse me. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath.
I usually stay at the Dolphin Bay Inn. (They were booked). It's Memorial Day weekend. We got a nice, clean room at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel. Nothing fancy but definitely can sleep in here.

• Stayed: May 2012
11  Thank HawaiiSandWitch
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed here when I came for a week to the Big Island. I did save money by staying here. The room was adequate looking. There was good hot water, and the bathroom was nice. There were quite a few cockroaches, but nothing not tolerable if I cleaned up after myself. The kitchenette saved me money. The cable was good. I didn't try the wifi. The front desk staff wasn't great. They wouldn't give me any towels or toilet paper. If I had any problem, I had to contact the "owner". Most of the other folks were locals that were living at the hotel. I didn't have any problems with anyone. There is night security (very nice people) and the other residents were mostly nice. There is only one washer and one dryer. Your towels will never be dry as the dryer is always in use - even at 2am. At least there are no roosters.

Room Tip: avoid the upper floors as the elevator was often broken. Go for the second floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family