We stayed here for three nights in early March 2013 with another couple as part of a three week trip to Hawaii and wholeheartedly recommend this B&B which is situated in a quiet, residential area about 5 mins by car from Hilo centre. We were able to try three of the four rooms as we booked late so had to swap rooms after one night. All of the rooms that we used were comfortable with good beds and bathrooms and attractively decorated. There were beautiful views of Hilo Bay from the rooms and the terrace outside, a perfect spot for whale-watching. We particularly liked the delicious breakfasts with a Hawaiian twist cooked by Maria and taken on the lanai upstairs at a communal table. The interaction with other guests created a convivial start to the day, the flow of conversation only interrupted by someone spotting another whale breach in the ocean below. We found both Ric and Maria friendly and helpful. Ric did a briefing at breakfast on what was on each day and was really helpful with planning trips so we felt we got the best out of Hilo, the south east of the island and Volcanoes NP. There are helpful briefing sheets with recommendations on what to see and places to eat in the rooms as well. The only issue which may be important to some future guests is that this B&B is on a steep site. We had fun parking and unparking on the steep drive but got the hang of it after the first time. There are steps down through the garden to get to the terrace which may be awkward with heavy luggage but are perfectly manageable otherwise. It's definitely worth putting up with this minor inconvenience for the views, comfort and friendly welcome which all contribute to a deeply relaxing stay in a special place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront accommodations with a spectacular, panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean and Hilo Bay. Enjoy a delicious breakfast while watching surfers, dolphins, and seasonal humpback whales. Relax in the evening to the sound of the surf. Four oceanfront rooms available, each with private bathroom, free WiFi, cable TV, fresh flowers, lanai, and access to pool and hot tub. Quiet, peaceful location 2 miles north of Hilo Town, just 10 minutes to the airport. Smoke-free property. Free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Hale Kai Hawaii Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hale Kai Hawaii Hotel Hilo
- Hale Kai Hawaii b&b
- Hale Kai Hawaii Bed & Breakfast Hilo