“Views are great. Staff are great. Rooms are below average.”

Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I must confess I deliberated for a while on whether to rate this hotel as average or very good. I came to the decision to rate it as very good because the staff at this hotel were outstanding and to me friendly, helpful and professional staff are the benchmark of a good hotel. We arrived 2 hours before check in and the front desk had us in a room within 5 mins. The speediest and friendliest check in ever!!! The views were also amazing. Although we had only booked a standard room we ended up with an sea view to die for overlooking the harbour and Mauna Kea.
However..... the rooms leave a lot to be desired! Although t he roomlooked clean, the early 80's decor with its pastel hues really made me feel like I constantly wanted to take a shower...The rooms are in desperate need of a pretty major renovation including the bathrooms. As we were only staying for one night. The decor did not overly concern us as the rooms were clean.
In saying this - after looking around Hilo for a while I am fairly convinved that the Hilo Hawaiian is probably the best hotel accomodation around. Although I will probably never return to Hilo if I did - I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KiwiHelen7
Write a ReviewReviews (1,921)

Reviewed February 5, 2011

Place was dirty and out dated. I would get head aches when I was in the room. Restaurant was way over price for the quality of food. I moved two hotels down for my stay.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank jabski1976
Concerned_HI_Manager, General Manager at Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2011

Dear Valued Guest:

Aloha! Thank you for your review. I really do appreciate all reviews as they provide us feed back for improvement. My apologies for failing to meet your expectations. I will contact the Executive Housekeeper regarding the cleanliness issue.

We are in the process of renovating our hotel. We have renovated our restaurant, lounge, meeting rooms, common area restrooms, elevators, painted the exterior of our building, installed new key card locks in all of our guest rooms, and purchased a new computer reservations/property system. We are in the planning stages of our guest rooms. We have recently added free WiFi in our lobby and are installing new 32" Flat Screen Televisions in our rooms. We are hoping to start the renovations in the guest rooms in 2012.

Our restaurant was recently renovated and has a spectacular view of Hilo Bay and Mauna Kea. Our prices are quite comparable to other restaurants in the area with our ala carte breakfasts from $7.50 - $12.00 and dinner at $9.75 - $24.00. We have a breakfast buffet at $16.75 and a weekend Seafood Buffet at $37.50 which includes not only seafood and prime rib but all you can drink draft beer and house wine.

My apologies again for your unfortunate experience and I hope you will be able to return to experience our new renovations in 2012.

Respectfully,

Reviewed February 2, 2011

Extremely friendly and helpful front desk staff. Internet was pricey and no gym. But why got to some nasty hotel gym when you can hike around outside.

1  Thank barneypilot
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Here for a business trip with limited options for hotels. Stayed at the Castle Hilo. The staff were friendly and helpful, but the facility itself is run-down and dated. The first room I was given was a non-smoking room which reeked of smoke. Apparently they allow smoking 'outside' on the rooms patio/deck. Second room I was given and stayed in was on the first floor and reeked of mildew. Moved to a 3rd room the next day which was tolerable. Didn't smell like mildew or smoke. In all the rooms and halls, carpets were worn, and dirty, paint smudged and walls dirty. The rooms were large, and they had an adequate cleaning staff, but basic painting and renovations just didn't seem to occur. Staff was helpful and overworked for the most part, but did try to be accommodating. I haven't stayed in a hotel this dirty and dingy in years and would have left for another property if there were any options available in the town, unfortunately, there aren't any.

1  Thank SaginawRoy
Reviewed January 30, 2011

It was very nice place to stay. We had a great view. we even seen a ship come in to port. Very Very good.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Although the Hilo Hawaiian rooms are a bit shopworn, they are good-sized, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the harbor/ocean view with spectacular Mauna Kea in the distance is the finest in town. This December/January marks the 11th time we have visited Hilo and we have always stayed at the Hilo Hawaiian, taking the same 5th floor ocean view room for the last six years. Having a refrigerator and coffeemaker allows us to enjoy a leisurely lanai breakfast that includes a myriad of fresh-from-the-farm fruits purchased at the downtown farmer's market nearby.

That said, be sure to ask for the (more expensive) ocean side, and make sure there's a refrigerator in the room if that's important to you, since some ocean view rooms don't have them. (I believe that currently, none of the Banyon-view rooms have refrigerators.) Also, avoid the ocean view rooms on the third floor with no lanais since they are adjacent to the roof over the bar and dining room - noisier, and the roof also hampers some of the view, as well as not giving you outdoor access.

Hilo is on the rainy, east side of the island, and most of the tourists visit the west side with its resorts and almost guaranteed sunshine. But if you would like to see the way Hawai'i was many years ago, with its slow pace, an eclectic array of people, reasonable prices, and the finest botanical garden we've ever seen, stay at the Hilo Hawaiian and enjoy.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank elepal
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Ideal location for my business in Hilo. Outstanding staff, service with a smile! Rooms are clean and comfortable. Big Mahalo! Wendell

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Hilo Seaside Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona

Been to Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel? Share your experiences!