“Desperately needs some renovation” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Seattle, Washington
“Desperately needs some renovation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed only one night while on a business trip, did not see a lot of the hotel nor experience all it has to offer... so take my comments accordingly. But what I did see was a hotel that appears to have had better days a long time ago and is desperately in need of some renovation. Everything seemed worn out and past it's prime. Cleaning could be better. There were two noisy parties taking place on my floor that appeared to involve too much cheap booze. The location isn't convenient and there didn't appear to be a lot of choices if you don't want to eat at the hotel. This may be a good low budget option, but if you can afford to stay elsewhere in Hilo...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kent W
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Valued Guests:

Aloha! Please accept my apologies for any deficiencies you experienced and the unfavorable perception of our facilities. After working on the first two floors of the hotel the past two years, we are now about to start refreshing our guest rooms in April of 2013. It should be completed in October and once completed I am sure you will find our accommodations more than satisfactory.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and regain your confidence. Take care and thank you for sharing your concerns with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in December after doing the Honolulu Marathon to photograph a friend's wedding. Very basic hotel with poor security (floors can be accessed by an elevator that goes down to the lower parking level). Had a third floor room with no view. Quiet for the most part. I know the hotel wasn't full so didn't understand why they assigned us a room that had to be "treated" from 1000 - 1400 on our second day. Good thing we didn't need to do any post-production work in the hotel room. The air conditioner was a little funky and took a while to get the room cooled off. Because of this, we left it on all the time (I know, I know - not very energy conscious). I guess the Koki Frog problem is pretty bad as you can hear them even with the windows and sliding doors closed and the air conditioner on. Hotel choices in Hilo are very slim and I guess this was better than the Naniloa, currently undergoing extensive renovations and having $$$ problems to boot. Room was pretty dim and decor was quite old - maybe 1980's? No hair dryer in the room but they are available from the front desk. Would stay here again due to the lack of choices.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ICURN-CCRN
Agoura Hills, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Our overall experience in this hotel was good. But the rooms and the furniture are a bit old. Particularly the carpet looks very old. The on-site restaurant was good. That was probably the best restaurant we ate while in town for three days. Front desk staff were courteous and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Leetonia, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here 4 nights. Our first three nights were 1st floor ocean view and last night was 8th floor city view. Overall, it's a decent hotel (2.5 star probably). We didn't see any mildew and the bathroom was clean in both rooms but the decor is probably from the 1970s. The ocean view room seemed smaller, but maybe it was because the beds were bigger. Anyway, breakfast is expensive even with the coupon. I only ate there once (good enough food, lots of options) but then I ate at the smaller cafe next to the buffet (free wifi there) and loved the petite breakfast options and the latte. The garden next door is nice to walk through. The view of the mountain was really cool. Lobby gets crowded in evenings because that is where the free wifi is located. Overall, we would stay there again if we were ever in Hilo. The Farmer's Market on Wednesday and Saturday downtown was really cool. We bought a lot of unique souvenirs there.

My biggest complaint ended up working itself out, but it still annoys me. We had checked out Friday morning to stay somewhere else. Those accommodations were horrible, so we were determined to come back to this hotel since we already knew the area and accommodations. I called and was told by a gentleman who answered that there were at least 20 rooms available and that I didn't need a reservation. So, we drove 35 minutes to come back. I walked up to the young lady behind the desk and apologized for not having a reservation, but explained that we needed a room for 1 night. She shook her head and said, "no availability." I said, again, that we needed 1 room for 1 night. She said, "I'm sorry, we don't have any rooms." At that point, I got angry and explained that 40 minutes ago I had just talked to someone who let me know that there were 20 rooms available and to please come right over. Her eyes got big and THEN she logged in to the computer. She clicked a few times and then smugly told me that they had 7 rooms available. I thought I was going to scream, but I said, "Thank you. I need a smoking room please." After a few more questions, we got our smoking room on the 8th floor. We had 2 twin beds, but by that time I didn't care as it still was better than the place we left.

Wales, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Had to laugh at Managers reply to one visitor about remodelling from the bottom up because I'm in room 110 and its covered in mildew and wifi is practically non existant. We have been here 5 days and the room hasn't been cleaned properly - drink rings on surfaces and coffee stains in sink - plus they haven't changed the sheets. This is supposed to be a superior room but there is nothing superior about it at all.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NomadJC
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear Valued Guests:

Aloha! Thank you for your review and I do apologize for the confusion regarding our remodeling. We have started our refreshing of our hotel from the bottom up by installing a new flagstone floor in the foyer, updated our banquet rooms and common area restrooms, restaurant, lounge, elevators, new computer systems at the front desk and restaurant, We are currently in the final stages of selecting the components of our guest rooms and hallways. This part of the refreshing will start in April. We should be completed with our guest rooms by October. Again my apologies for the confusion.

As far as the cleaning of your room, the list of our services are indicated on the vanity area. I will send housekeeping to take care of any unresolved cleaning issues you may have. Again my apologies.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. I will make sure everything is checked on.

Travelers are raving about these Hilo hotels

Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed here for a night while having a training for work. I would say it was a good experience.

Hotel is pretty updated. Location is good, close to and walking distance to a lot of restaurants in downtown Hilo. Place is clean and very green. Scenic view is amazing, right next to the ocean. The hotel has a bar and a mini shop in the lobby. Service is good.

The downsides are the following: Wifi is free in the lobby but not in the rooms, noisy coqui frogs in the evening (can't avoid them), outside premise is very dark even the parking, rooms opposite the ocean view don't have a great view (trees everywhere).

I stayed here for free so can't complain that much. All-in-all I would go back!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the ocean!