“Convenient and nice ocean views!”

Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Our recent stay on 11/23-11/24 was excellent! The manager on shift that morning was polite and didn't hesitate to go ahead and did an early check-in because of the wide open availability on the ocean view rooms we reserved. The lobby is nice and clean and the rooms are okay. If your just looking for somewhere to stay,enjoy a nice decent biew looking out into the ocean and be able to walk to coconut island that's nearby, this is for you. They also have a beautiful garden area ( Liliuokalani Gardens) where most people walk around and jog. Overall, everything was great and I would come back again on our next visit!

• Stayed: November 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,875)

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Let me start with saying we booked our stay thru Hotels.com.. we made sure that the sales agent knew we had SPECIAL needs.. she said that it would be No problem to accomidate. Lots of problems ensued upon our arrival....

#1 .. the front desk was totally over-run by a large incoming tour(which we noticed happened everyday) and they were very understaffed.. the front desk lady was very rude to us when it was our turn as Im sure she had been overwhelmed by the large tour. when checking in we were told that our special request were not able to be met and we had paid for them... NO adjoining rooms.. no ocean view.... no fridge.... supposedly there is only ONE SET of these rooms per floor <7 of them total > and none on any floor were available on our first nite. Also we were supposed to have ocean view which would be the only reason for staying at this hotel as it is situated on the bay looking out at coconut island. No such Luck... on the second day while were out on our day activities we were finally moved to adjoining rooms.. we have a variety of ages of kids and family in our group.. necessary to have ice chests for food and medication so it was really important..we would be able to open doors between rooms... still none w/ ocean view... all were we offered to compensate was dining room coupons.. lets just say we weren't interested...told we had to take it up w/ reservation company which we did.. at least they took care of us..

#2- for 3 mornings in a row I was charged different prices for large PLAIN coffees to go from the little internet cafe.. not lattes or anything special just a cup of coffee.. from $6-9.50.. same thing different prices
when i mentioned this to a server she just shrugged her shoulders and put her hands up like not my problem...

On a good note the location is close to coconut island which was pretty to watch the sunset in evenings, also the Japanese gardens next door made for a nice walk with the kids.... the local Crazy cat lady comes each evening to feed the legions of wild cats in the park.. interesting to say the least.
This Hotel is old and BADLY in need of updating.. the in room AC units suck and are loud, the beds are hard and OLD.. same goes for bedding etc.. due to greener measures.. we only got new towels after I soaked all of ours and left them in the tub on day 2.. No hairdryers, bottled waters or drinkable in room coffee.. for what we paid I could have stayed at a nice B&B or payed much less and stayed at a cheaper motel where I would have expected the conditions and service we received..
NO internet access except in lobby.. we paid to have it in our room and tried with no avail to get it refunded as access in rooms is hardline only and that isnt available/possible on small devices..
Please spend your $$$$$ elsewhere.

Room Tip: when we did finally get our adjoining rooms on 2nd nite of our stay at least it had alot of windows...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Valued Guests:

Aloha! I do apologize for failing to meet your requests and needs. It was unfortunate that we did not receive the requests made prior to arrival. You did pay for a superior category room which you received each day of your stay. We do not have superior rooms that connect and with an ocean view in our hotel. I do apologize for the confusion. As far as the different prices for regular coffee, I am truly sorry but the prices are programed in the POS system and the workers are not able to charge a different price for regular coffee. We charge $3.00 + tax for our regular cup of coffee. I am not sure what happened here. If you would send me your receipt I will look into it and refund you if an error was somehow made.

We do provide free WiFi in the hotel lobby and ICafe. We also provide WiFi and hardwired service in our guest rooms through Oceanic Cable for a fee. If you were charged for a hardwire access but could not use it due to your small device, please call me as I am puzzled as to how you were able to purchase through the hardwire with your small device. I will assist in getting your refund as long as I know how you purchased it and if a refund is possible through Oceanic.

I do apologize if our hotel accommodations were not up to your expectations. I am sure you will be happy to hear that we will be undergoing guest room refreshing starting April 15th, 2013. We are currently working on a few model rooms and then our owners will then decide which they prefer. We are all excited as we are positive that our valued guests like you will be pleased.

Again my apologies and if you would like to contact me please email me at hhhgm@hawaii.rr.com and I will see how I can assist you. Take care.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Spent one night in Hilo on 01/11/12 before travelling to the town of Volcano. Check in was easy, the deluxe ocean front room on the 4th floor was very large and the view spectacular! did not eat at the restaurant so cannot comment. Parking was easy and paying for a fridge was worth it. Walked to Coconut Island the next morning which was nice and even saw a sea turtle. I could see why staying here for more than three nights would be a little depressing, but with not much else on offer it was fine.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the ocean view.
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The location was nice. You could walk to Coconut Island which has a small beach and a tower to jump off of into the ocean. The park was full of locals which was nice. The hotel is located on the street with the most amazing banyan trees. I could have stared at those trees all day. The hotel itself was outdated and the service was okay, but not specatular. The drink from the bar was expensive and weak. The pool was large and needs some TLC. They don't provide pool towels after 5pm so we had to bring our room towels. It was clean, but they could really make the pool into a much nicer area. There is no hot tub which was a disappointment. We opted not to have the hotel buffet and ordered a pizza to the hotel for dinner. Down at the end of the street was a great local place for breakfast. It was a walk-up window with outdoor tables frequented by the locals. I don't know the name, but it was inexpensive and huge portions. I've been told that this is the best place to stay in Hilo, which is unfortunate because it's really a beautiful bay and could use a nicer hotel. I would stay here again, given that there are not many other options.

2  Thank traveler11196
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Paying a little extra is worth having a room on the water side. Great service at the front desk. Breakfast buffet not a bad deal with the coupon provided with the room (considering Hawaii prices). Perfect location, downtown Hilo is a 2mi beautful walk.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 6th flr or higher, the couqui's shrill sound will not bother you
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have been in my room for 1 hour since arriving from a top resort north of Kona. Considering this town is very old and traditional, this hotel is clean, convenient and secure and I am very relaxed after previously reading some negative reviews by individuals whom seem hard to please. Yes, there seems to be a slight musty smell but this hotel in on the bay and salt water and inexpensive air filters cause this. The forthcoming renovations will take care of the mildew on the bath tub caulk. These are small and fixable items. The bottom line, a good value for the dollar.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Changmook
Reviewed November 12, 2012

It's clean and quiet and close to the airport so it worked for us after a long and late arriving flight, we awoke refreshed and ready for our drive to Pahoa in daylight. We had a locals breakfast next door at Billy's where one of the employees was a 92year old Japanese woman who shared her lifetime of experiences of Hilo. Shabby, Old Hawaiian chic.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Hilo Seaside Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona

Been to Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel? Share your experiences!