“Overpriced, poor service and the 'free' internet in the lobby took over as my dsn source.”

Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Washington, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

this place smelled so bad we had to go buy a bottle of fabreeze. housekeeping service was virtually non existent, we had to ask for towels from the desk because they were not provided in the room. in the future we will just simply stay on the Kona side of the island where they know how to treat guests and the rooms don't smell like mildew.

• Stayed September 2012
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Aloha! Thank you for your review. We do pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and I do apologize for any oversights there may have been. I will personally speak to the Executive Housekeeper and the staff to ensure that our rooms are checked and cleaning procedures are followed. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

great price super location to everything coffe and tea in room good flat screen tv . friendly people working in in all phase of hotel. great hotel for price buffet in hotel is great selection of main dishes salads and great deserts/good menu to order from if you to order local type food or steaks

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was fortunate to stay at the Castle Hilo Hawaiin Hotel during the last few days of a 2-week stay on the Big Island in June/July. I was priveleged to be there the night of July 4, and saw the beautiful fireworks display over Coconut Island right from my ocean-view balcony. It was a wonderful way to end my vacation. As other travellers also noted, the room was alittle dated, but it was clean, comfortable, and the view from my balcony was absolutely spectacular. The parking was very convenient, and the location of the hotel was also extremely convenient to restaurants, gasoline, etc. There is even a WalMart right down the street. I have absolutely no complaints about my stay, and would definately stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
North Pole, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Hilo Hawaiian Hotel is in a great location, right next to the beautiful Queen Liliuokalani Gardens and with a great view of Coconut Island. The open air lobby was nice, but the rooms are in need of an update. Although dated, our room was clean, and the bed - although a bit hard - wasn't as bad as some we've slept in. Each room has a balcony, and our room had a view of the bay and Coconut Island.

We received one $5 off coupon for the breakfast buffet per day but only dined there once. The food was OK, but not very hot. With the coupon, it's not a bad value - especially if you have a big appetite.

The staff was friendly and attentive; quick and efficient. There is an added fee for internet in your guest room, but there is free wifi available in the comfortable lobby. This suited our needs perfectly for checking our email each morning.

We would definitely stay here again. It was a good value, despite needing some updates. I loved being able to walk the gardens each day, and if you have a room with a view, you can enjoy the beautiful sunrise each morning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AKArmyWife
Hilo, HI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I'm a Hilo resident that needed a place to stay for the night. Have been here for conferences and training, but never been inside a room before. The lobby, grounds, and view of Coconut Island were great. The room was the best of the three hotels in Hilo but although the price was typical or maybe even low for a hotel in Hawaii, it was also the most expensive of the three hotels in Hilo. (FYI, one competitor is said to be renovating but it doesn't seem to be happening very fast. The other competitor is cheaper, older, and clean, but has noise problems from the road and the airport, which is why I came here this time.)

About 5-10 years ago, I had relatives who stayed there and they reported stained carpeting, mildew in the bathroom, some minor peeling paint, and something that kicked off allergies. This time, the elevator was a little banged up but the room was a standard hotel room in good shape. It was clean, adequate, well decorated, and nice. There was no rust or mold in the bathroom, stains on the carpet, or problems like that. My first impression was good but there was no wow factor. It was much better than every Holiday Inn and Hilton Doubletree or Hampton Inn that I've been in on business travel, but not as good as most Marriott Courtyards. If the price is right, I'd return. If the price isn't right or I get a bad tone of voice from some future reservation agent, I didn't get anything to be loyal to.

Only had three minor problems (Hotel Manager, do you read these reviews?)

1. The drapes in Room 633 wouldn't close completely because other travelers have torn or pulled them out of shape. I tried to nap in the late afternoon and couldn't get the room dark. This is minor because I do business travel and stay at 50-60 hotels each year, and I can only remember 3-4 of them that didn't have this problem. But since it is so prevalent in the industry, why can't hotels fix it with reinforced seams or use blinds or come up with a fix? I'd expect an industry with a million employees to be able to come up with a fix for window coverings.

2. The air conditioner was barely alive. (Mr. Manager: Room 633!!!) With the fan on low, temp control in the middle, after an hour I got up from my nap and opened the sliding door to the balcony for cooler air. Fan on high, temp all the way cold, it still took 1-2 hours to stop sweating.

3. Staff are very friendly and courteous, especially the front desk, but overall were not willing to step outside of their roles. It was like the boss would come and yell at them for not meeting their quota if they talked to me or helped me with something. Housekeepers in the hall wouldn't make eye contact or ask if I needed anything. I left my car headlights on and the battery died. I asked for a jump from about a dozen maids and groundskeepers that were taking a break on the bottom level of the garage, and was told that they weren't allowed to help and I had to wait for security, who would be back in about 45 minutes. I got a jump from another guest and was gone in five.

In conclusion, in talking about hotels and not B&Bs, the Hilo Hawaiian is the best hotel in Hilo but the best is not great.

Room Tip: If you want to sit on the balcony and feel the ocean breezes, pay a little more for the ocean view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was traveling on business and Hilo Hawaiian is my companies choice of hotel for all their employess who are traveling overnight in Hilo-there isn't much to choose from. I am certain that the ocean view rooms has breathtaking views as it overlooks Hilo Bay and of course Coconut Island. I'm not sure how old and how long has it been since it was renovated but I was not pleased with its overall appearance. As you enter the hallways you are greeted by an old musty smell which immediately turned me off. The mirror in my bathroom were filled with scratches that was not appealing at all. It looks like chocolates were splattered in them. The noise of the coqui frogs were annoying even with the sliding door to the balcony were closed. The location of the hotel is perfect as it's close to everything. I love the fact that it was only 5 minutes drive to the office. It was not the quality of the room or the hotel that really bothered me. This hotel seem to cater more to kamaaina. I did not feel the "aloha spirit" that Hawaii has to offer. I have stayed in many hotels big or small as a kamaaina i still was greeted "Aloha" whenever i pass an employee of the hotels. Here there was no "aloha spirit" at all; perhaps because i was not a visitor? maybe... but i believe that each guest should be greeted by any employee at all times. I had a late check in but for some reason the room that was available to me did not have the bed that I requested. I was offered to change room the next day but I had to bring all my bags to the front desk on my own which I felt uncessary. I would think that someone would just move my bag to my new room when it becomes available but perhaps it is your policy. I was not going to make a big deal about it an kept my room. Due to the unbearable frog noise, I called the hotel the next day to possibly upgrade to the ocean view rooms and I was not asking for free upgrade. I practically was brushed off by the employee who answered the phone. It was a very quick call, it didn't seem as if she checked the system if there was any availability; I was hoping that she would ask how many nights I was going to be there and perhaps a night or 2 were available but NO... it was a flat out "sorry no availabilty on the ocean view right now" and hung up the phone. To my dismay I let it go and forget about it. We decided to try the restaurant and I would not recommend it. I can't imagine anyone can screw up the doneness of a steak. I'm not one to complain and return food when I'm not satisfied but when I was asked I did mention my concern and was offered to have it replaced but we were in a rush. I was given discount however, I wish that it would have been the manager that came to me to handle my concern. The communication of the restaurant staff could use some improvement. There were 3 staff who came to our table to take our drinks order. I guess you deserve what you pay for as to my understanding the price is quite reasonable. If I had a choice I would prefer to stay on the west side of the island and drive to Hilo to have a better quality of hotel and service. It is quite a drive but that is just me. I will likely stay there again as I am goin to make more business trips to Hilo but unfortunately accommodation is not my choice.

Room Tip: I did not use the fitness center or utilize the room service.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Aloha! Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel. I really do appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences. Please accept my apologies for the service deficiencies you experienced. We clearly were not performing to our usual standards and I will address your unfortunate experience with my staff. On a positive note, we are in the process of planning our hotel room renovations and should be completed by the end of 2013. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again and regain your confidence. Please feel free to contact me directly at hhhgm@hawaii.rr.com.

Travelers are raving about these Hilo hotels

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Hilo Hawaiian has the "raw goods" that you expect from a hotel. The location is right on the water and each room has a small balcony. Like much of Hilo, the hotel is somewhat outdated, but clean and comfortable. The AC system can be noisy, and Wi-Fi is not included. We opted not to eat at the restaurant because the prices were higher than the majority of Hilo.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,768 reviews

Been to Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel? Share your experiences!