“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Tacoma, Washington
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The lobby area is open and beautiful. The view from our room was awesome! We woke up to a cloudy morning, but a beautiful rainbow. Breakfast was good at the restaurant! We had the buffet. The room was clean and nice. I will stay here again when I return to Hilo.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The only reason we stayed in Hilo was to visit the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut factory/plantation and to see the volcanoes. Had we known that this hotel was so "tired", we would have sucked it up and driven the 3 hours from the Kona side. Quite literally, we walked off the plane in Oahu coming back from SE Asia and wanted to see the big island, so we changed our itinerary at the last minute and had to book "something, anything". We were relieved to get to the other side of the island and stay in Kona.

I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends or associates.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SKI_Road_Warrior
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Aloha! Please accept my apologies for any deficiencies experienced during your recent visit. We strive to do the best we can with what we have. We are in the process of our hotel renovation plans. We have completed a number of projects and will be soon starting our guest room renovations. I know you will enjoy what we are planning for you.

My apologies again and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you again and regain your confidence.

Copenhagen
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hilo is a rather unique and very relaxed town. The hotel is right in the middle of Hilo Bay and there is a surrounding park (worth taking a walk through) and an adjacent 'island' that offers snorkeling and diving (I saw people on paddle boards and kajaks, but am not sure where these were rented).
The parking is free but there is no internet in the room (often done on purpose to get people down to the reception area to make it look busy and encourage guests to buy coffee, drinks etc) -The lady at the reception had great humor and was very helpful. There is a great coffee shop that has free wifi (also available in the reception area).
The trees around the hotel are worth a tour themselves - note, there are frogs imported by mistake from Florida that make an amazing amount of noise at night but this did not disturb my sleep at all; it's worth a walk outside the hotel (or terrace) to listen too. These frogs are spreading fast through out the Big Island and are causing serious damage to native birds and insects.
The restaurant serves some great food at a resonable price and is a good option for dinner.
Great little friendly hotel that is worth a couple nights stay during a visit to Hilo (pronounced Heelo).

Room Tip: A higher level room provides a better room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Scrambler2
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Valued Guests:

Aloha! Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel. It was a pleasure serving you. I will share your comments with our staff. I do apologize however for failing to inform you that we do have internet services in our guest rooms through our local cable company, Oceanic Time Warner.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay on the Big Island and I hope you return to visit us real soon.

Take care...

Aloha & Mahalo,

singapore
Reviewed September 1, 2012

It is a nice hotel in a very good location and while there are not many modern hotels in Hilo, this one is probably the best choice. The only inconvenience is that free WIFI is only available at the lobby. Generally a very pleasant two nights here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Alberta
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Nice hotel with a great view of the ocean. Getting a bit long in the tooth and can use a good reno. Clean and comfortable. Great location near downtown Hilo and next to the park area of Hilo. Nice balcony to sit and relax while looking at the ocean.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view if you can.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Most reviews and word of mouth had recommended this hotel as the best place to stay in Hilo. Stay away! If this is the best Hilo has to offer don’t bother going to Hilo and just stay in Kona, or North of Kona, (which is what most of the locals seem to want - very sad because Hilo seems to be such a diamond in the rough). We came to embrace the beauty of Hilo with respect for the place and people, but found little in return. As for the hotel itself we tried to check in early (little after 12:00). It was understandable that they couldn’t accommodate us, as we had two joint rooms and check in was not until 3:00. We were “supposedly” pre-checked in with a semi-friendly guy, for rooms 502/504, and told to come back in a while because they were still cleaning the rooms. We went and visited the area, then came back at 3:05. The semi friendly guy was no longer at the desk, replaced with an indifferent, at best, woman who said our rooms still were not ready (really it takes 3+ hours to clean 2 rooms when checkout is at noon?). I asked this woman how much longer till we could go to our rooms, and she said “not much longer, you can have drinks in our bar”. Since I had my wife and 3 children with me this was not an option, so we waited in the lobby and waited until just before 4:00 to get the keys to room 402 and 404 (not sure what happened to our pre checked in 502/504). Once in the room, we were all very “impressed” with the 3 hour plus cleaning job as well as the stains in the carpet (was that blood?). The sheets and towels at least were clean, but numerous odiferous smells abounded around the rooms (both of them). The shower in 402 leaked out onto the tile, which would not be an issue except you need to use towel to dry the tile no problem, right? Not for us, as we only stayed one night, but the Castle Resort policy is pretty strict per other reviews on needing extra towels, and the “resort” in all its efforts to save the planet only replace the towels every 4 days. I am all for helping/saving our planet, but it seems the “Resort” is hiding behind being "green" to save some $ (my humble opinion). Two days I can dig, but four days really? I am just glad after reading some of the reviews of how stingy they were on towels and coffee for the rooms, I didn’t have to go there (The Big Island might have seen its newest eruption). Upon checkout the next day we did not even receive a "thank you" or "come see us again" for staying at the “Resort”. This hotel does not have any sense of customer service, not even close. If I truly believed it would have made a difference I would have asked to speak with the manager, but the entire experience told me the manager already knows and doesn’t care how the people are treated at the Hilo Hawaiian. If the management does not see this, they are blind. I could have overlooked the condition of the slightly dilapidated rooms, if we were treated kindly and with respect.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lief_H
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and allowing me the opportunity to explain. First of all I do apologize for failing to meet your expectations. We normally do receive many complimentary remarks regarding our cleanliness of our rooms but clearly we were not performing to our usual standards that day. I inspected the rooms to check what I had failed in but unfortunately your comments of the day before must have been remedied. I checked the shower head and found it to be operating properly. The rooms did not have any foul odors. I did however find three quarter size light brown stains on the carpet in front of the vanity area and had it removed. Looking at the rag I used, it looked like coffee stains. I checked on your unpleasant experience at the front desk and found that the gentleman that original helped you was the same employee as the one that checked you out. This gentleman is my Front Office Manager and he has countless of complimentary remarks on his professionalism and customer service. I am sorry if he had a bad day but I have spoken to him about the importance of customer service and asked that he refresh not only himself but the rest of his staff as well.

Again my apologies and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will be speaking to all of the managers at our next staff meeting later on today and share your observations with them so we can all learn from it.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This hotel is in an excellent location, right on the water and just minutes to downtown Hilo via car. The staff were very attentive and courteous. The overall property though had a slightly tired feel to it and probably needs a bit of updating. The free parking was a nice perk. I was also very happy to see that it had blackout curtains for those of us who wanted to sleep in.

Room Tip: No balcony on third floor rooms with an ocean view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SFgirlSF
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,797 reviews

Been to Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel? Share your experiences!