“BEST SHAVE ICE IN THE WORLD!”

Wilson's by the Bay
Ranked #7 of 15 Dessert in Hilo
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BEST SHAVE ICE IN THE WORLD!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

I simply LOVE WILSON'S by the BAY! It isn't anything beautiful, they sell Shave Ice, some seeds and gummy items, T-shirts, and some beautiful orchids from time to time. BUT you have to TRY it to believe how WONDERFUL it is. I have no idea how they make their shave ice PERFECT but it is ALWAYS PERFECT. The type of the shave makes it the best. Now how does one go and explain that Wilson's Ice Machine makes the best shave? Who knows the only thing I can tell you is to GO TRY IT.. YOU WILL not like it, YOU WILL LOVE IT and come back and come back even if the rain is pouring or for goodness sake if it snowed in Hilo! Now make sure you ask "HOW BIG IS BIG" as we aren't talking "snow cones" as in the mainland, we are talking bout "LOCAL KINE SHAVE ICE!" I believe its $3.00 or cheaper for a Ice Shave that is SO HUGE you're going to need to sit down and just enjoy for at least 10-15 mins. And make sure you keep sucking the juice out as THEY are not shamed to ADD lots of juice to your ice shave!
You can add Ice Cream, Red Beans, and some add Cream to theirs too. Me, I like it ala natural with Lychee and Li Hi Mui flavor... As we say in Hawaii Nei.. BROKE DA MOUTH GOOD!
Now there is most times only one person inside Wilson's and at times they do have to go and get some ice or even use the restroom so make sure they are really closed and not doing a BRB in 5 mins. (look for a little memo on their door.. nothing fancy here folks just good ice shave)
Try Wilson's I promise you will keep coming back and back again.. And check out the BAY while you're enjoying your shaved ice.. WOW. As we also say in Hawaii "LUCKY YOU LIVE HAWAII!"
Enjoy the beauties of this most awesome island, NONE of the other islands come even close to its beauty, Also talk to the local folks bout where to go and where to eat. We've been told we are different that the other folks on the other islands as we have what is called "ALOHA". And we don't mind sharing it with you. Also it rains A LOT on the Hilo side, please don't get upset with it.. as we live in a RAINFOREST! So enjoy Hilo, and CHECK OUT Wilson's You wouldst be sorry you did!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Kahua

Keaau, Hawaii
“Cream on Shave Ice Mmmmmm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

We went in for a totally different reason, and were offered a shaved ice. I was not prepared for how absolutely wonderful it was. The ice was shaved perfectly, not chunky ice. The flavorings were delicious and the cream, oh my, it was heaven. The woman in the store was absolutely delightful, and yes, it's an old tiny store on the bay front, so it's nothing to look at, but you get the feeling of old world Hawaii-town in this place. Definite aloha, and ono shave ice. Whether you live here, or are visiting, this is a must stop!

• Visited April 2012
Columbus, Indiana
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

After having a particularly lousy shaved ice in Koloa village in Kauai (If you call the flavor coconut, it can't be blue and taste like vanilla) I was a little wary of the 'phenomenon' of shaved ice in Hawaii, but thanks to a recommendation by a friend, I tried this place, and it was DELICIOUS! We got a keiki sized cone to share and it was still huge! Lychee, Coconut, Passion Fruit with Mochi balls on the bottom and coconut cream drizzled on top. BEST $1.50 ever spent!

Alexandria, Virginia
“Shaved Ice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

This was my first time trying shaved ice so I had no idea what to get or what to expect. I got the keiki size which was big enough to cool me down. The pineapple and coconut syrups were delicious and the ice just melted away.

After this experience I was excited to try it again somewhere else... which turned out to be a disappointment. More expensive and the ice was more like a slushy. Whomp whomp.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Nicole G
Oahu, Hawaii
“Shave ice as it supposed to be made”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

After a day at the beach (and I am keeping my favorite one secret) this is a great place to stop for a treat!

Visited March 2012