“great lunch” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 228 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Fusion, Asian, Thai, Vegan
Good for: Families with children
Description: It is always good to ask local residents where they would eat. What a treasure. Organic good food, homemade and prepared from scratch.
Anchorage, Alaska
“great lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Like almost every other shop on the main drag of Hilo, this place is a little funky. But if you are hungry it is really great! The décor is a bit lacking but we enjoyed the huge posters of the many varieties of avocado found on the island. It is also a small place and was jammed around the lunch hour…we waited until about 1:30 and were able to get right in.
The first thing to know is, they serve family style and the portions are huge. We had six people and ordered 4 salads (each had a very distinctive combination of vegies and spices) and one “Thai Pizza”. We waddled out.
The salads were all made with very fresh ingredients – I would bet they walked down the street to the farmers market that morning. The Thai Pizza was more like a giant quesadilla – shrimp and vegies rolled up in a huge basil tortilla. It was really tasty! They asked us if we wanted mild or hot and we chose mild. They could have added a side of hot sauce for those who wanted it but we did not complain.
If you like ginger try the ginger smoothie…they add plenty of ginger and it is really good.
My only regret is that I did not get to try one of the soups...a person next to us had one and it smelled wonderful -- and like everything else the bowl was huge!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank DudefrmAK

Woodbine, Maryland
“Food was good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The dining area lacked ambiance sort of junky looking, the service was just okay. The food was good, we order a shrimp quesadilla, very large portion, filled with sweet potatoes, pineapple, it was different, but good. We also had the black bean fish, moist and flavorful. Everything tasted fresh.

• Visited September 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fresh and delicious.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Tina, the owner, uses indgredients from her garden to make delicious food. My wife, Tai, who is a Thai states that Tina's food is soooo good. I had one of Tina's unique Thai pizza dishes and could not believe how good it was. You can tell by the taste that all the indrediients are truely fresh from her garden.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
“Amazingly delicious Thai home cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

We went here on the recommendation of the Tourist Information office. It was one of nicest meals we had while traveling in Hawaii.
We ordered the Pineapple Curry and a Tom Kha with chicken. The soup was huge and enough to feed all 5 of us (2 adults, 3 children). Make sure you try the delicious smoothies.
Service was lovely and very attentive. Thanks!

Keaau, Hawaii
“Flavors that stand out from other restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Sometimes it's the hole-in-the-wall that surprises you. This restaurant has a different menu on Thursday through Sunday, a hot pot menu, that I felt was completely uninspired. But, we went back almost a year later to try the full menu and we were happily surprised. The salad was off the chain good. I had the special fish "pizza" which is really more of a crepe. They should consider changing the name to crepe, as they might get more people to try them. I was not enthralled with it because I don't really like pineapple with my fish, but that is a matter of personal taste. I thought it was good all the same. I stopped eating it and finished my meal with the starter salad and was completely satisfied. I did think it was a bit pricey, even for Hilo's Bayfront.

• Visited April 2012