“Wow! This is free! Wonderful natural wonder!!”
Review of Kaumana Caves Park

and up
Volcano National Park Small Group Twilight Tour
Ranked #18 of 82 things to do in Hilo
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I found this on Trip Advisor and was so happy I took the time to go check it out. Wish I had more time because this goes on for quite a distance. Not sure how long, but I ran into a guy who had walked in for 25 minutes and he told us it kept going! There is no graffiti or any kind of destruction from people. There are 2 caves when you come down the stairs, the one on the left is easier once you crawl through a smaller opening at the start. I guess this must be an old lava tube, it is simply incredible. The pictures posted are exactly like it is. And it's free, even the parking!! Check it out if your into exploring you will be very impressed.

2  Thank RAluvtravel

Reviewed January 7, 2013

If you take the left cave, it is .25 miles to an opening that leads you above ground. The trail back to the parking lot is poorly marked. You have to bushwack. Keep in mind the first 60 feet of this trail there is a 6 foot hole that if you dont know where you are walking you will fall back in the cave. it is poorly marked as it is covered by alot of bushes. This happened to someone in our group. He luckily was able to make it back to the parking lot. Be very careful. If you go to the right cave it is 2-3 miles long and used to open up into private land.

5  Thank Jay K
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Next to the fairly busy Kaumana Drive, you can climb down the stairs to a dripping wet hole, then enter the pitch-black lava cave, first with lots of ivy and other plants handing down, then the deadly silence of that dark tunnel. Make sure you have a good flashlight, otherwise, you could get badly hurt falling on the razor sharp lava cinder blocks.

2  Thank aclassen
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We liked this much better than the Thurston Lava Tube in the Volcanoes National Park as it was way more interesting. We only stopped for a brief visit (10-15 minutes) but it was definitely worth seeing and isn't far from Rainbow Falls. You will need a flashlight to venture in past the opening area. The staircase entrance is right by the side of the road and parking is available.

3  Thank Kim F
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Normally, I'm a pretty claustrophobic, but while in Hawaii I wanted to try and do everything I could, as it is somewhere I have only dreamed of going to in the past. The caves are easy to find, ample parking on the opposite side of the road (be careful crossing) and you come to a nice entrance with WC's and nice plant life. Descend the steep stairs and you are stood in a foyer of lush vegetation completely covering the floor, except for the footpath. We entered the cave on the right first, which is a rough 30metre walk to the end, before crawling through a really tight area which the opens up. We then approached 3 people coming back from exploring this cave, and they advised us to be careful where you go as there is multiple passages so don't get lost. Being claustrophobic I wantin there much longer.

We then entered the left cave, which I much preferred. Immediately on entering I saw a small opening in the floor which I crawled down just for a photo, it's nothing much but I was gaining in confidence to try things. Walking further down, there is another tight area at the back, which may be a little harder then the first cve but is worth it.once navigated, you are dwarfed in a huge passage way that leads a long way through! There is one part that in angled so you are walking up/downhill for a small part of it but it is huge and not claustrophobic, felt much more comfortable.

We spend a good 90 minutes here and loved every minute, the people we met were very friendly, from the outside the entrance looks really nice, and there really is a cave for everybody to like, just wear correct gear and be very careful, there are very sharp rocks throughout the caves, and there is a sign disclaiming you enter the caves at your own risk

2  Thank Mike B