“Great Trip”

and up
Kilauea Volcano Bike Tour
Ranked #12 of 37 Outdoor Activities in Hilo
More attraction details
Owner description: Bike Volcano provides guided bicycle tours of Kilauea Volcano, one of the world's most active volcanoes. Join Bike Volcano on an amazing guided bicycle tour of the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park or Kilauea Volcano's Active Lava Flow on the Big Island of Hawaii. Bike Down an Active Volcano!!!We have two incredible guided bicycle tours of Kilauea Volcano: 1) Full Day Bike Adventure of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (10am-3pm, 15 miles); 2) Bike Volcano Summit Tour Special (10am-1pm or 12pm-3pm, 8.5miles. We will provide you with all the equipment necessary, lunch, and/or snacks, beverages, a Professional Guide, and van support. Children and Cruise Ship Passengers are welcome. We provide round trip transportation from the Port of Hilo and our tour times can be adjusted to your ship's docking time. We pick up passengers weekly from the Norwegian Cruise Ship on Tuesdays which works perfectly with the ship's docking schedule
Useful Information: Activities for older children
“Great Trip”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

The staff was great an very personable. Aunty Pretty and Ei Pu (forgive the butchery of the name) made my daughter feel right at home, wonderful way too see the sights if you enjoy the outdoors and get a great workout in while having fun.

Visited June 2014

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome!”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I did the full day tour with Meghan and Pretty, hats off to both of them! The trip was outstanding. All details were handled exceptionally well and each member of our tour had a great time. The guides were extremely knowledgable, marshalling the group was well handled, bikes, lunch, vans - everything managed without flawl. The park itself was beautiful, what a great way to take it all in!

Visited June 2014
San Antonio, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fun for all”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband (a biker) and me (not really) very much enjoyed this trip. We did the half day tour with Meghann which was perfect. I loved hearing all the history, myths, and current state of the volcano. Volcanoes aren't really my thing, but I really enjoyed seeing everything and the bike added an extra element of fun to it. It is mostly downhill so those who want a challenge shouldn't expect that here. For me, it was perfect. I'm on vacation and didn't want to work too hard! The snacks were great and Pretty resupplied our water if we needed it at every stop. It was perfect having the van support so we could shed layers, grab cameras, or water at the different stops. Being an average, leisure "biker" (ha!) myself, this was a great, fun tour!

Visited May 2014
Toronto, Canada
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 291 helpful votes
“Disappointed due to last minute cancellation”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I certainly cannot review the actual tours. We were looking forward to the tour, but it was cancelled two days before it was scheduled as they were running a fully day tour with cruise ship passengers and therefore could not accommodate us on our half-day tour. I understand them for doing it for business reasons, but it is still disappointing for us. They did offer us to join the other tour, but we already had other things booked in the morning so we could not do the alternative tour they offered. While I appreciated the business reasons and their honesty, I would have hoped they could have accommodated us joining the full day tour part way or something, just so we wouldn't have missed out the entire tour. We ended driving the park, which was nice as well.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank savvy_traveller175
Renee H, Manager at Bike Volcano, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
The customer is incorrect that we cancelled their tour at the last minute as their reservation for the Half Day was not confirmed. All of Bike Volcano tours are offered based on demand. A tour is considered confirmed when the minimum tour participant requirement has been met. Currently, our tour menu consists of 2 bicycle tour courses of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park available: a Full Day Bike Tour (5 hours) and a Half Day Bike Tour (3 hours). We offer one tour per day based on demand.

When you place your reservation we will attempt to group with other parties based on your tour date availability or if you are booking online the tour calender will indicate the tour participant count. Once you place your reservation you will be issued a booking receipt which indicates that your tour is pending until we process your payment. Generally we process your payment a week prior to your tour date or when the minimum tour participant requirement has been met, at which time a tour confirmation email will be sent to you. Customers are encouraged to check our online booking calendar for the current tour status or at the latest contact us 48 hours prior to your tour date.

If a different tour course confirms other than the course that you have requested we will contact you in advance and present you with the choice of joining the confirmed tour course or attempt to reschedule you on another tour date. As we did in the case of this customer. For logistical reasons, we are unable to accommodate customers to do only part of the Full Day Tour as this customer suggested in his review.

When you place your reservation please be sure to provide accurate contact information and contact us in advanced to check your tour date status if you have not received a confirmation email. Please check our online booking calender and contact us as required 48 hours prior to your tour to confirm your reservation and to avoid any last minute confusion concerning the status of your reservation.
Summerland, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“A question of value”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Our family took in this bike tour (2 preteens, 1 teenager) during a trip to the Big Island. We all enjoyed the sights, but my wife and I left with the feeling that it simply wasn't value for the amount of money put out for this tour. The guides (Pretty -- knew lots about the local customs and history, and Meghan -- a trained geologist with extensive background in rock formations, volcano effects, etc) were really great, and the group we ended up cycling with bonded really well. The biking itself was disappointing for my wife and I (both love cycling) as it was mostly coasting downhill on roads from parking lot to lot, but our youngest two children loved it (not too much work :)). The sights of the park are really quite worth seeing. I understand running these tours are expensive (a driver, a guide, van, bikes, food, park entrance, insurance, etc) and I'm not sure one could run it on a cheaper budget. However, when we compared the experience of the park by foot (all the sights could be taken in easily and one would get a lot more exercise), or other island experiences (e.g. we could have rented bikes for our family for 3.5 days from BikeWorks, at least 3 nice dinners out for our family, or even a nice mountain bike purchase for a child), we were left with a bit of a sick feeling about the money we had put out for the trip. I would not recommend this to a couple/ family looking for a "ride" that requires much effort. It is more appropriate for someone looking for a stroll and tour that doesn't usually bike much.

Specifically, there was no family or student discounts offered. Children that are between 4ft3in and 4ft10in are difficult to accommodate -- they are too big for the Trail-a-bikes and too small for the smallest bike they have available (Adult XS). The guides were very accommodating and we were able to rig the smallest bike to fit our youngest, but it was a bit dicey at the beginning.

Visited April 2014