“Cheap place with your own space.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Big Island Backpacking Hostel
Big Island Backpacking Hostel
Ranked #5 of 9 Specialty Lodging in Hilo
Princeville, Hawaii
“Cheap place with your own space.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed for two nights. It was a very quiet hostel, with just a few guests. Didn't stay a lot in the room, as there are enough things to do around. Friendly staff, sharing stories about Hawaii. Sleep with the sound of the Cookie frogs.

Room Tip: any will do
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank peshovuchev

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Beverley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

This hostel is still under renvations, it is still live able, there no builders so there is no noise!
they are getting a new kitchen fitted, should be very nice when finished. all mattress are brand new, we stayed in other hostels with bed bugs, but it was very nice here and bed bug free!

Location in heart of hilo, close to shops and supermarkets, but hilo is quite a ruff area, dont walk alone at night, a lot of homeless people live in hilo.

Recommendations do see the volcanos, hire a car for the day and drive the 28miles to the national park and they have free tours at 9am onwards. the tours to the volcanos cost $100 per person and is too expensive when your backpacking around the world. there is no public bus to the volcanos so your options are a tour or rent a car. we paid $50 for the day for a 4 wheel drive and was very cheap on fuel.

Public bus to Kona only cost $1 each.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barneyboo8690
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

The facilities here are on par with most hostels I've stayed in around the world. It's not a huge place so it has a homey feel that I prefer to the giant hostels in Waikiki. That said, you need to plan to take care of all transportation and all arrangements yourself. I did get the hostel to cover transportation to/from the airport, but it was not arranged in advance like I had asked for. Also, the tours were not run on a consistent basis and I found that to be very misleading because I planned my stay here so that I could attend all of the tours. I ended up having to make outside arrangements for almost everything I did because the schedule was completely at the whim of the owner. Charles is a friendly, person, but he is not very reliable and his laid-back attitude is a little difficult to handle when you arrive with specific expectations. Also - I highly recommend arranging a car rental for your time on the Big Island.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank benFlys
Hilo, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

The owner of the hilo backpackers hostel, Charles will sometimes seem like he is a very accomodating host, however do not be fooled. He cares nothing other than what is in his immeadiate interest.. He is known as a scoundrel to anyone on the island that is familiar with him. He has very little aloha. I live on the island and have stayed at the hilo backpackers hostel on a number of occasions. Although, checking in was difficult as on a couple of occasions Charles has demanded a departure ticket in order to book. The water is almost always cold when showering, and the staff seems to be constantly changing. Additionally, the tours are never consistantly running and when they are its hard to say if you will actually see what you pay for. The building is really nice and its in a good location accept for the noise from the bar around the corner that will keep you up all night if you are in one of the dorms. It is kept very clean and the breakfast is free, but good luck getting picked up from the airport.

Room Tip: Go to one of the hostels in pahoa
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Hoomaikai1
winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at the hostel and found it very relaxing....the bed was super comfortable and the manager, Jared, very friendly and helpful. Would recommend this place to anyone looking for a clean, spacious, centrally located hostel in Hilo.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

We were there for a week with our baby (6mo old). The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We took 2 tours and the guide is really nice with a good understanding of the volcanoes and of the area. Really good place to meet other travellers.

The localisation is alos great: 2 groceries and a market within 10mntes of walk, excellent coffee shop just next door, lots of bar and night clubs around (we weren't there so we can't comment on them). The only thing is that beach are a bit away but Hilo is not that much about beaches than other natural interests.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank 3Pingouins
Guangzhou, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2011

Hilo Backpackers Hostel at 69 Waianuenue Ave, Hilo, Hawaii is the worst hostel that I had ever stayed. The office staff, especially the black woman Nicky, is horrible and definitely unreliable. Nicky is the rudest person I’ve ever met in the world. This place has totally no security and no help although it looked clean.

In the morning that I checked in, the hostel owner Charles said he would help my friend and me to rent a car at the airport. But when we all prepared and waited at the hostel lobby for a long time, he disappeared without out any words. I left my laptop to Nicky and ask her to take care of it. She promised. However, a few minutes later, I noticed that my laptop was left by the office door while the door was opened and no staff was in the hostel. Everybody could notice it and take my laptop right away without any problem. My friend called their office at Oahu and complained about our poor experience with them. Then, something horrible happened at that night, a raining night! Nicky asked my friend to get out of their hostel and the reason is because my friend made the call to complain. My friend had to leave and I also wanted to leave. When I asked for my deposit, Nicky denied receiving any money. Obviously, they just did want to give the money back. My friend left and moved to Hilo Bay Hostel, which is a very friendly place. By that time, I waited and argued with Nicky. When I tried to go upstairs and get my backpack, she stopped me and pull me off the stairs, then pushed me out of the front door, made me fell down to the ground. My head bumped against a car which was parked right out of the door, and my knees were bleeding. Nicky shut the door immediately. I had to run across the street with bare feet in the rain to ask for help from Hilo Bay Hostel. Luckily, the staff at Hilo Bay Hostel helped me although I was not their guest by that time. I finally got my backpack from Hilo Backpackers Hostel when the policemen came.

If I was not the person that suffered from the whole process, I won’t believe it would happen. But it truly happened to me. I strongly persuade you not to choose Hilo Backpackers Hostel. If you need to stay with them for some reasons, I hope you’ll be lucky enough not to experience the same thing as I had experienced. But I bet you’ll know how rude they are if you stay with them.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo