“Low caliber food at high prices”
Review of Ponds

Ponds
Ranked #10 of 250 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We were trying to find a restaurant to enjoy a fancy meal in Hilo to celebrate a birthday- a hard thing to find in the town. After researching on Trip Advisor, we found this place to be on the top 5 list. We wanted good food and were willing to pay the price. The ambiance was great, the service was great but the food and drinks stunk. The drinks were watered down, the food was a huge disappointment- I ordered the scampi and at $27.00 a plate, I expected some fresh, well seasoned shrimp. The restaurant boasts that they make all of their sauces from scratch, but all the sauces on every plate was way too salty. In the end, we left disappointed with a bill of $120 dollars. I would skip this place and eat dinner in your hotel room- save yourself the money and the salt.

2  Thank Smenezes

Reviewed June 16, 2010

The Pond's , formerly Harrington's, is a great new addition to the Hilo dining scene. Located on actual tide ponds filled with huge Koi fish, this open air style restaurant serves great food and the prices are reasonable. I understand it's owned by the owner's of Ken's (thee absolute best place for breakfast on the island !), their menu and quality is now great.
We had fresh fish and it was prepared with a wonderful lemon butter sauce...can't get much better except for Uncle's Fish Market at Pier 38 in Honolulu.
Go...try...be pleased you did.

Reviewed June 4, 2010

Found Ponds by accident , but a great find. We got a great table in the corner with a view of the water and a little entertainment. A few locals were flipping off a rail into the water! The food was good. I had the macadamian nut pesto pasta. Very good! And the salad with the house dressing was REALLY good. Made me wish I had just got a salad so I could get more of that dressing. Coffee and dessert toped the meal! Impressive dessert tray!

1  Thank radgirl00
Reviewed May 28, 2010

We sort of fell into Ponds Restaurant. Not a planned trip. We were eager for an early evening Island drink and they were open. They put us at a table at the window overlooking a pond full of huge colorful Koi. Relaxing music, swimming fish.... One fabulous MaiTai later, we checked out the menu and eagerly decided to linger over dinner. This was our best Restaurant experience in Hilo.

Reviewed March 20, 2010

My husband and I unexpectedly found Ponds after rejecting another local restaurant and we couldn't have been more delighted with our meals and the entire dining experience. The local fish was creatively prepared, the service was excellent, and the ambience a treat. Overlooking a tidal pond, the restaurant allows diners to view a proprietary koi pond as well as this local wild bird mecca. A yellow-crowned night heron paid a visit, as did a less-common great blue heron. The liliko'i (passionfruit) chiffon pie is our new favorite dessert. We wish the new owners well-deserved success.