“We fell into Ponds”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ponds

Ponds
Ranked #11 of 238 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mandeville, LA
“We fell into Ponds”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

We sort of fell into Ponds Restaurant. Not a planned trip. We were eager for an early evening Island drink and they were open. They put us at a table at the window overlooking a pond full of huge colorful Koi. Relaxing music, swimming fish.... One fabulous MaiTai later, we checked out the menu and eagerly decided to linger over dinner. This was our best Restaurant experience in Hilo.

• Korean first
Florida
“A lovely dining experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

My husband and I unexpectedly found Ponds after rejecting another local restaurant and we couldn't have been more delighted with our meals and the entire dining experience. The local fish was creatively prepared, the service was excellent, and the ambience a treat. Overlooking a tidal pond, the restaurant allows diners to view a proprietary koi pond as well as this local wild bird mecca. A yellow-crowned night heron paid a visit, as did a less-common great blue heron. The liliko'i (passionfruit) chiffon pie is our new favorite dessert. We wish the new owners well-deserved success.

Calgary, Alberta
“Ponds was an absolute treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

We returned to Hilo after a two year absence and went looking for Harrington's and found Debra & Rick Maiava (from Ken's) "Ponds" restaurant. They sure spruced it up, and we felt so welcome in the renovated dining room at an outside table over the koi pond.
Service was attentive and courteous, and when we let them know we were looking forward to a leisurely dinner, they accommodated us nicely, no rush at all, and always asked if we were ready for the next course. The escargot appetizers were hot, fragrant with garlic & spices and delicious. The prime rib was perfectly prepared on the garlic mashed potatoes. I enjoyed a (huge) broiled lobster tail - WOW!
The chef (Brandon?) toured the dining room and met his guests and was sincerely, genuinely interested in our comments and suggestions. My pitiful suggestion?: that the drawn garlic butter for the lobster be on a chafing dish to keep it hot (he agreed!). We had no room left for dessert, and finished our evening with our wine watching the koi and turtles in the pond.

Honolulu
“My Favorite Restaurant in Hilo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

My wife and I dined at the Ponds in January 2010. This restaurant used to be known as “Harrington’s,” a name that may be familiar to those who have visited Hilo in previous years. Last fall, it was purchased, renovated and renamed the "Ponds" by Debra and Ric Maiava, who also own and operate Ken’s House of Pancakes, a restaurant known for its high quality service and well prepared local food.

Everything was excellent: Food, service, value and atmosphere. The evening was a memorable one: Great food, at reasonable prices, with a friendly and warm atmosphere. With four meal courses (appetizer, salad, entree and desert - we shared the appetizer and desert), 4 glasses of champagne and a bottle of very nice California red wine, our check came to less than $120.

We will return to "Ponds" everytime we visit Hilo. Thanks very much to owners Debra and Ric Maiava, our server Jenny Baylor, Chef Brandon Crichton, Chef Kyle Beardsley and the rest of the staff; truly a remarkable team.

PS: We had a very late local style meal at "Ken’s House of Pancakes" the following night and as usual it was wonderful.

2 Thank FreddyHonolulu
Honolulu, HI
“We'll Be Back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

This charming, rustic restaurant, used to be known as “Harrington’s,” a name that may be familiar to those who have visited Hilo in previous years.

Last fall, it was purchased and renovated by Debra and Ric Maiava, who, I must point out before going on, own and operate Ken’s House of Pancakes, a restaurant known for its high quality service and well prepared local food. That fact right there promises success for the present incarnation of Ponds.

And on our recent visit, we saw that promise coming true. Our server, Jenny Baylor, couldn’t have been more professional and caring. We had told her that we wanted to proceed slowly, and she complied graciously, even inquiring at one point, if we were ready for her to put in the order for our main course. We’ve never had that happen before, and we greatly appreciated the gesture. All too often, we find ourselves forced to turn over a partially eaten appetizer or salad because the main dish comes too soon. Not at Ponds, where you get to eat at your own pace.

My husband and I sat in the corner by a wall of windows that open onto the Ice Pond, a romantic table from which we could see the koi swimming below. And because the exterior of the building is lighted, reflections shimmer across the water. Soon after we were seated, Chef Brandon Crichton walked through the dining room, introducing himself and making his guests feel welcome. The whole experience had a warm and friendly feel.

We began our meal by sharing their hot crab appetizer. It arrived bubbly hot, brimming with good flavors. Bits of broccoli were an unexpected, but delightful, component. The only cavil I had was with the thin slices of bread served alongside. I would have liked them to be toasted more crispy and browned. This was followed by an unexceptional, but competently prepared, house salad. I had hoped they would include some of the wonderful locally grown ingredients, like hearts of palm, Puna goat cheese or those gorgeous Hamakua tomatoes. The house dressing, a sort of balsamic vinaigrette, was light and delicious.

My husband ordered the prime rib of roast beef, which was served at the degree of doneness he had requested. He found it tender, tasty and very satisfying. I had the Veal Francaise. I am very particular about my veal francaise, so I always feel as though I’m taking a risk when I order it, but this dish met my every hope.

The veal was fork-tender, the coating was light and exactly the way I like it; the caper, wine and lemon combination with which it was sauced, was perfectly balanced. Chef Kyle Beardsley must have a secret touch with this dish.

Overall, the evening was a memorable one. Great food, at reasonable prices, with a friendly and warm atmosphere. With 2 glasses of champagne each and a bottle of very nice California red wine, our check came to less than $120.

1 Thank VegetableGoddess