“Lovely Window Views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ponds

Ponds
Ranked #11 of 229 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Hawaiian, Pacific Rim, Gluten Free Options
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Los Angeles
“Lovely Window Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

A local restaurant with lovely views over the pond. Very pleasant atmosphere. I had fish and it was very nice. Service good. So, not your top gourmet experience, but if you want something that is not too expensive, in a pleasant atmosphere, with good food, off the 'Hilo strip' and not in the 'Hilo mall' this might be your place.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank e5000e

• Korean first
San Jose, California
“Nice atmosphere, but can't cook a steak”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Seriously, if you can't cook a sirloin steak medium rare after three attempts, take it off the menu.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank potfish
Sacramento, California
“Nice atmosphere, good service, lousy food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Had leg of lamb. It was like shoe leather and tasteless. I couldn't eat it. Luckily my wife had a chicken dish that I could share. I wasn't impressed with the dinner salad, raw veggies or the garlic mashed potatoes, either. After the meal the chef made his rounds. When he asked about my meal I told him the lamb was tough and tasteless. He said sorry we couldn't get the right cut of lamb. This was shoulder. I said maybe he shouldn't have served it. He said people liked it like that. Bad answer...

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank John M
Anchorage, Alaska
“The Ponds Hilo - Romantic with a scenic view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I first ate here a few years back after finishing an assignment in Kwajalein, after months of institutional food this place was heaven... This time my better half and I were finishing a 'round the Big Island drive around and was staying at a nearby Hotel. I had to try this place again! Chef Agustin Rios creates wonderful food... both my Wife and I were impressed with the portions, the very friendly staff, atmosphere and lovely views... The place was full so we ate in the bar next to the window overlooking the pond... After dinner... Met locals & other vacationers and imbibed on tropical libations (very good here), a wonder end to a "Big Island" stay!

• Visited June 2012
Virginia
“Ponds has it all !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

First time here for our family. We were all so pleased from beginning to end. The atmosphere is charming , the service was wonderful from everyone on staff. Our daughter is Vegan and usually hard to order for. Our beautiful server graciously recommended the Chef make her eggplant parmesan . It was fabulous as was everything we ordered . The Chef even came out and greeted tables ! I was impressed. My only regret is we didn't save room for dessert ! I took a photo of the dessert tray to remind me to save room next time ! : D