“Nice atmosphere, but can't cook a steak”
Review of Ponds

Ponds
Ranked #11 of 239 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Jose, California
“Nice atmosphere, but can't cook a steak”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Seriously, if you can't cook a sirloin steak medium rare after three attempts, take it off the menu.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank potfish

• Korean first
Sacramento, California
“Nice atmosphere, good service, lousy food”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Had leg of lamb. It was like shoe leather and tasteless. I couldn't eat it. Luckily my wife had a chicken dish that I could share. I wasn't impressed with the dinner salad, raw veggies or the garlic mashed potatoes, either. After the meal the chef made his rounds. When he asked about my meal I told him the lamb was tough and tasteless. He said sorry we couldn't get the right cut of lamb. This was shoulder. I said maybe he shouldn't have served it. He said people liked it like that. Bad answer...

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank John M
Virginia
“Ponds has it all !”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

First time here for our family. We were all so pleased from beginning to end. The atmosphere is charming , the service was wonderful from everyone on staff. Our daughter is Vegan and usually hard to order for. Our beautiful server graciously recommended the Chef make her eggplant parmesan . It was fabulous as was everything we ordered . The Chef even came out and greeted tables ! I was impressed. My only regret is we didn't save room for dessert ! I took a photo of the dessert tray to remind me to save room next time ! : D

“Great place!”
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Outstanding service! Spectacular view! They gave my kids fish food to feed the koi fish while we sat at our table. The koi fish were right out our window. We all ordered fish & chips & had beef nachos as an app. We will go again!!

“Simply amazing...”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I have been dining here nearly once a week these last few months and absolutely love it!!! We first tried their brunch (which isn't a buffet but well worth it) and were amazed with the deliciousness of the food, our bartender Dale, and the lovely hostess Nicole. We've returned different days each week after learning of mexican mondays, lobster thursdays, and sturgeon sundays, and enjoy the ambience, food, and service each time. We dined for lunch last monday and were a bit disappointed with the hostess and bartender, they seemed more interested in conversing with eachother than serving, but...the food was excellent!! We returned again saturday night and were pleased to see Dale and Nicole again. The fresh catch was absolutely stunning and the service by the staff is superb. Hats off to the owners for having a brilliant chef, quick and courteous bartender, polite and beautiful hostess, and wonderful establishment. We will return!!!