Pakalana Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Hilo
See available hotels
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewspaul's placefarmers marketstreet noisehelpful ownercentral locationnice roomwould stay here againother guestsa great place to stayneilkitchenettecurtainsbreeze
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I'm glad we decided to go with Pakalana Inn. It was quite hard picking a place to stay at in Hilo because many of the hotels look old and dirty and there were a hand full of B&Bs but were kind of pricey. I found Pakalana Inn through tripadvisor with not many reviews, but all of the reviews were positive, so I thought we'd give it a try. The location was extremely convenient and street parking was easy. We stayed in room 5 and it was quite big. The room had a small flat screen tv with MANY channels, coffee maker, and refrigerator. The only thing that I wish they had was a hair dryer. But I'd definitely come back to Pakalana Inn and would recommend it to anyone who is visiting Hilo.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank yodavkat
Reviewed May 16, 2011

This hotel is right downtown, easy walking to everything, and reminded us of European hotels, where you do so much walking that you walk off the wonderful food you are eating! The noise from the street calmed down so that we slept well, and the beds were wonderful!
The owner will help you in every way he can, he is great. Altogether, we would stay here again!

Room Tip: Try the one with the kitchenette - it is huge!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank francesca_maui
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I liked the coded access to the bldg. and my room. It's very efficient. My room - Ekahi - was quiet, and decorated with a complimentary combination of antique armoire and contemporary bed, linens, table & chairs. The 1st photo on their website shows this room. It looks exactly the same except they now have a flat screen tv on the wall and the chest the tv is on in the photo is gone and replaced with a small table and chairs. We ended up using the lounge area downstairs to eat lunch from the take out restaurant on the 1st floor. I also had a very nice dinner from a restaurant in the historic bldg. just down the street from the farmer's market. Nearby bakery was great too. It's a great location to walk around town. I didn't have time to explore the antique store that was mere steps from the front door, but the window shopping was fun. I would definitely stay at the Pakalana Inn again.

Room Tip: Book well in advance to get the room you want.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank ThePamster123
Reviewed March 25, 2011

The Pakalana Inn was great! We stayed here for two days during the rainy season and very much enjoyed it. The room was clean and bright with gorgeous wood paneling and floors, a small but adequate microwave and fridge, and a flat-screen TV. The bathroom was spacious and the water pressure was great! Located conveniently in Hilo's downtown and literally right down the street from the farmers market. Neil was a great host and made sure we had everything we needed. A real treat and highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2010
3  Thank pmcomp
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I was with my husband,my teen-age son and my mother. We had rooms 3 and 5. The rooms were large and pleasantly uncluttered, without the usual Hawaiian kitsch. Room 3 had a kitchenette and large bed; Room 5 had two double beds. The beds were really comfortable. I was concerned about street noise, but Hilo shuts down at night and I slept really well. Traffic noise does start again at about 6:30 am, though. The location was ideally located for exploring downtown Hilo. There is no daily maid service, and more towels would have been nice.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family