“Crepes”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 11, 2012

had great experience for breakfast not so much later in the day. The food is good , serve depends on the staff present. Parking is hard to find but recommend you try it for yourself

Reviewed September 4, 2012

While in Hilo, we tried this restaurant based on the good recommendations it had received. It was a refreshing change of pace to have a crepe dinner. My husband and I did the "split" dinner with half a crepe and half a salad. We were certainly glad we did the split because the portion was still large! The salad was one of the best I've ever had - the freshest ingredients and such a variety of ingredients. Be sure to get the "house dressing" - really good! You can actually watch your crepe being made as you eat your salad. It was also very good. The only negative to the whole dining experience was the lack of service. When we arrived, we were the only ones. It wasn't until we were almost finished that another couple arrived. The owner was there talking to the cook and waitress the entire time. No one came to fill our empty water glasses or check to see how everything was. We waited a long time to have our plates removed and to get our check. If it had been crowded, it would have been more understandable. But as the only customers most of the evening, it was inexcusable. So, very high rating on the quality of the food, but very low rating on the service.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We didn't have high expectations of this place as we simply drove past it and I thought the name of the place was cute. I did know they served crepes for breakfast so I thought why not.
We arrived just on opening and the very bubbly and cheerful waitress took our drinks order and informed us that the cook had not yet arrived... ok then... we waited at least 10 minutes for him to arrive.
We ordered the crepes and they weren't bad however - the cheese! My god they use a lot! Tasty, but I had to leave some aside.
I won't dismiss the place. The service was good from the waitress, the crepes weren't disastrous and when we let them know that we were in a hurry to get to the airport they made sure our meals came out quickly.
I wouldn't go back in a hurry, but they are worth a drop in if you have the time.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We ate here a few years ago when we were in Hawaii and couldn't wait to come back - Yes, I thought they over-did the cheese, but the food was tasty, the restaurant was busy, and we all enjoyed it. Our only observation at the time was that the chef looked like she would rather be somewhere else - she NEVER smiled - and since she was on display, cooking in the dining room, you would think she would try to have a bit of personality.
This time, we were the only people in the restaurant, other than a group of entertainers. There was a jazz trio playing - so loud we could barely hear each other talk (and since this place has very high ceilings, it was very echo-ey, and a bit odd to be there.)
The service was slow and unattentive - and you cannot blame it on the crowd.
The chef looked even more miserable than before. We ate, paid the bill, and the other entertainers (balloon animals, clowns, not quite sure what they were) asked if we planned to stay for their act. It was very uncomfortable, to say the least.
We drove by the restaurant a few times during our stay, and it was ALWAYS empty!
I think they need a different approach, and the entertainment is not the way to do it.
Maybe lighten up on the cheese and focus more on the rest of the ingredients.

1  Thank Makai7
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My mom and I went here for the first time today. I was pretty stoked. I have been trying to go to this place for about 3 years since it opened whenever I'm in Hilo. They keep odd hours and when they are supposed to be open they aren't. Nice decor and ambiance in the restaurant a little bit pier 1 however. Everything on the menu is crepes so if you don't like crepes don't come here. They do offer a small non crepe menu but they don't have a kitchen so don't expect too much.

I ordered the crepe benedict. What I got was not. The crepe seemed fine but you couldn't tell. there was at least a LB of cheese on this thing. If your a cheese lover your probably thinking this is a good thing. However, the cheese muttled the flavors on the entire dish. Also the hollandiase sauce was seperated, this should not have even been served looked like microwaved pizza grease. Hollandaise sauce also didn't have lemon or cheyenne pepper. The eggs were poaced ok a little overdone and the ham was alright. I don't recommend this dish or if you get it ask for no cheese.

My mother got the polish sausage crepe. Her's looked like it had potential, but it too was innondated with cheese.

I've been to Paris and all over Europe and like to think of myself as a crepe connoisseur. Most guys on a street corner in Paris will put this restaurant to shame and it's not like its hard to make a good crepe i make them all the time.

Not sure if I would recommend this restaurant unless you want a dessert crepe that seemed like it was okay my mother got the nutella and banana one.

1  Thank Konacoffeetraveler