“Great experience”

Safari Helicopter Tours
Ranked #8 of 43 Tours in Hilo
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We made a helicopter ride and absolutely enjoyed it! Our pilot did fly next to the newest spots of the crater and always made more than one circel so people on both sides of the helicopter could see it and take photos. I can highly recommend Safari Helicopter Tours!

2  Thank ethomet

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Wow - One simple word that sums up my and my families experience. This was by far the best experience we had on our one week holiday in Hawaii. We flew in to Hilo from Honolulu for the day just to do this trip and it was worth every cent. Having never flown in a Helicopter before the staff were very professional and calmed all our nerves, felt completely safe the whole time.
Loved the pilots calm nature and his commentary not just of the volcano / lava flows but also of the history of the island and its current residents. Loved his flying skills and ability to get us into the best viewing spots.
Unfortunately we didn't see any lava flowing into the sea, however recent flows were visible. Also loved the views of waterfalls and the city of Hilo. Will always spend the extra money on helicopter tours where I can in future travels due to the great experience we had with Safari Helicopters, it really is the best way to see natural wonders of our world!

1  Thank licketylips
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We recently went to Hawaii and took our three kids (16, 14 & 9). This tour was the favorite for all 5 of us. Their staff was professional, friendly and informative. On the tour we saw awesome lava flows and beautiful waterfalls. I was surprised at how close we got to it all and we were perfectly safe. I would definitely recommend these guys and hope we can go back and do it again someday.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was so looking forward to this experience . I was put in a helicopter with 5 people including the pilot. therewere no doors in this helicopter . I was strapped in but felt very vulnerable as I could not feel the straps. I was by the window and my elbow was outside all the time. I could not take photos as I was holding on to the strap.We were supposed to see lava fires but all we saw were 2 very small fires. the pilot gave a commentary but was very uninterested. hIs highlight was flying over our cruise ship. this was the worst 45minutes of my life. I have never been so glad to land on ground. please do not use this company it was a nightmare

3  Thank jan255114
Paul M, Chief Pilot at Safari Helicopter Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

This customer was obviously very upset. So upset that she posted her review about the wrong company. ALL of our aircraft have doors. We do not and never have done doors off tours.

Paul Matero
Chief Pilot
Safari Aviation, Inc.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

My boyfriend booked a helicopter tour for our stay in Hawaii as a special birthday present, and chose Safari based on the excellent reviews it had received. It certainly did not disappoint. The whole experience was phenomenal, from the friendly and knowledgeable ground crew to the interesting and entertaining commentary supplied by our superb pilot, Gardner. The views from the air were incredible, and we were lucky enough to catch sight of a flow of lava making its gentle way down towards the coast. Our pilot thoughtfully circled the area from different angles so that everyone in the helicopter got a great view and was able to take some snaps. I would thoroughly recommend the experience to anyone who visits Big Island. Thank you Richard!