Once you step onto the stairway leading up to the main entrance on the first floor, you know this place is special. Owners Matt and Danny have transformed an old, run-down place into an incredibly charming B&B jewel. From the little reading room at the entrance to the vintage Hawaiiana in the kitchen and the zen-like bamboo garden with koi pond the Hilo Bay Hale reflects the love and dedication that the couple has poured into the renovation. But this place is not only visually appealing: we have never felt so welcome in any of the other places we stayed at in Hawaii. There are hand-picked bananas fresh from the farm, there are rambutans and tangerines and whatever fruit is in season. The kitchen is well stocked with all supplies to cook something extraordinary while on the porch/patio there's a barbecue grill. Matt prepares a generous and delicious breakfast (between 8 and 9) and makes a point of using fresh ingredients. Danny is a movie producer and Matt used to be a interior designer for a national book chain. Both are extremely helpful and will go out of their way to make you stay enjoyable (e.g. they gave us a ride to the airport). We stayed in the Lava Room and loved it. Even if you don't stay in that particular room, ask if you can take a peek. The bathroom rivals any five-star-spa facility (without the hot tub and sauna, of course) for creativity and style.
Even though the Hilo Bay Hale is located close to a major street, we did not hear any significant car traffic out back. That might be because of the coqui frogs, though. Those buggers are all over this part of the island and turn up the volume to amazing levels at night.
That could be about the only thing that could keep you from staying in Hilo, and this B&B for that matter.
Another plus: the Hilo Bay Hale offers great multi-day-rates. And they rent out another place in Pahoa, too, in case you want to check out another part of the Big Island.
Oh, and yeah - there is a free laundry facility as well. Plus, they have a highchair and a crib for kids. WiFi Internet access, too. One more thing we liked a lot: They let you pay through PayPal, which gives you much more peace of mind than using your credit card.
All in all, this place is as close to perfection as it gets in this price/comfort category. Enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy Hilo Bay views from this beautifully restored 1912 historic home in the heart of Hilo, close to all the wonderful markets, cafes and galleries that make Hilo so famous. Each room has a private lanai with views of magical koi ponds and/or Hilo Bay and are furnished with period antiques and unique island art. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Hilo Bay Hale Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilo Bay Bed And Breakfast
- Hilo Bay Hotel Hilo
- Hilo Bay Hale Bed & Breakfast Hawaii