“The essence of Aloha!”

Hilo Bay Hale Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 19 Hilo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 16, 2010

Once you step onto the stairway leading up to the main entrance on the first floor, you know this place is special. Owners Matt and Danny have transformed an old, run-down place into an incredibly charming B&B jewel. From the little reading room at the entrance to the vintage Hawaiiana in the kitchen and the zen-like bamboo garden with koi pond the Hilo Bay Hale reflects the love and dedication that the couple has poured into the renovation. But this place is not only visually appealing: we have never felt so welcome in any of the other places we stayed at in Hawaii. There are hand-picked bananas fresh from the farm, there are rambutans and tangerines and whatever fruit is in season. The kitchen is well stocked with all supplies to cook something extraordinary while on the porch/patio there's a barbecue grill. Matt prepares a generous and delicious breakfast (between 8 and 9) and makes a point of using fresh ingredients. Danny is a movie producer and Matt used to be a interior designer for a national book chain. Both are extremely helpful and will go out of their way to make you stay enjoyable (e.g. they gave us a ride to the airport). We stayed in the Lava Room and loved it. Even if you don't stay in that particular room, ask if you can take a peek. The bathroom rivals any five-star-spa facility (without the hot tub and sauna, of course) for creativity and style.
Even though the Hilo Bay Hale is located close to a major street, we did not hear any significant car traffic out back. That might be because of the coqui frogs, though. Those buggers are all over this part of the island and turn up the volume to amazing levels at night.
That could be about the only thing that could keep you from staying in Hilo, and this B&B for that matter.
Another plus: the Hilo Bay Hale offers great multi-day-rates. And they rent out another place in Pahoa, too, in case you want to check out another part of the Big Island.
Oh, and yeah - there is a free laundry facility as well. Plus, they have a highchair and a crib for kids. WiFi Internet access, too. One more thing we liked a lot: They let you pay through PayPal, which gives you much more peace of mind than using your credit card.
All in all, this place is as close to perfection as it gets in this price/comfort category. Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Zeitungsfuzzi

Reviewed March 23, 2010

I spent 5 days in the Bay room and it was great, open windows and doors with nature singing you to sleep every night. My friends had the Tsunami room and it was even better with the private lanai, and koi pond babbling gently. Very easy to come and go, many things within walking distance, farmers market was great too!! What a wonderful way to salvage an historical building while creating a peaceful place for guests and family!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 17, 2010

The hosts were awesome. Traveling on your own can be tough... these guy gave me all sorts of great places I would have never know about... (warm ponds were unbelievable). I stayed 5 days in 2 different rooms... private... my own bathrooms... my own balconies and the beds were SO comfortable!!! I love the grounds too. Koi ponds were so relaxing.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank d0berts
Reviewed January 27, 2010

We had three nights in Captain Cook, three in Volcano, and two in Hilo in the James Michener Room, which has a lanai looking out over the koi pool.. If we were doing it again, we'd probably spend more time on the windward side and less on the leeward side. Perhaps we were lucky not to have rain, but Hilo is a good place to base trips from.
Our room was large and comfortable, breakfast was good, and the hosts were excellent.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Wow is all I can say. We had heard about Hilo Bay from a friend and checked it online before booking. Now we know why everyone raves about this place. We just spent the holidays here and had a great time.
The hosts were great, they made us feel right at home without being intrusive. Their knowledge of the Islands was impressive and helpful. They seem to really care about the preservation of the islands and their heritage.
Sitting out on the lanai overlooking the pond gives a true sense of tranquility, and the relaxation you come to Hawaii for.
The breakfast was fantastic, and the fresh fruits were a wonderful treat.
Add all that to the discount they offered for booking an extra night and I would say we had a perfect stay. Just be careful, you won't want to leave!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2009

Hilo Bay B&B is absolutely everything you could want from a B&B l - it was comfortable, friendly, with wonderful food, and Matthew, the host that made me want to come back to stay there again and again.

My husband and I stayed in the Lava Room, which had the most amazing bed I think I've ever slept in - if I could have tucked it into my suitcase, I would have. It was so comfortable that I could have spent all three of my days in Hilo just napping. The bathroom was truly amazing - with a sink made out of a hollowed-out boulder, and a shower that was open air to the secluded back patio.

In the mornings we were greeted by Matthew, who just puts you so at ease, like you've known him your whole life (and like the comfy bed, if I could have tucked him into my suitcase and brought him home with me, I would have!). Hanging out in the kitchen while he made his fabulous egg dish or waffles (YUM!), you felt like you were staying at a friend's house. The fruit was exquisite every morning, and it spoiled me for when I came home and couldn't have the same thing every morning in Portland.

We met another couple staying there (also from Portland, through complete coincidence), who let us peek into their room, which while smaller than ours, was no less beautiful. It had a little lanai off it, and a huge bathtub. We all agreed that ANY room you stay in here is going to be a winner.

I will definitely go back to Hilo, and absolutely with no question, stay at Hilo Bay B&B every time. As far as I'm concerned, there really is no other place to stay there. It's an amazing little jewel right in the middle of the city.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We had a wonderfully relaxing stay at Hilo Bay B&B, the gorgeous tropical fruit breakfasts being a real highlight! Staying here was a real pleasure; our host Matt was so welcoming and friendly, and we had a lovely big room with a well-appointed, modern bathroom. Just a short stroll from the main shopping area of Hilo, the Hilo Bay B&B is also well placed if you need to visit the Hilo campus of the University of Hawaii. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business