“Amazing B&B with the best host EVER!”

Hilo Bay Hale Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 19 Hilo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 12, 2009

Hilo Bay B&B is absolutely everything you could want from a B&B l - it was comfortable, friendly, with wonderful food, and Matthew, the host that made me want to come back to stay there again and again.

My husband and I stayed in the Lava Room, which had the most amazing bed I think I've ever slept in - if I could have tucked it into my suitcase, I would have. It was so comfortable that I could have spent all three of my days in Hilo just napping. The bathroom was truly amazing - with a sink made out of a hollowed-out boulder, and a shower that was open air to the secluded back patio.

In the mornings we were greeted by Matthew, who just puts you so at ease, like you've known him your whole life (and like the comfy bed, if I could have tucked him into my suitcase and brought him home with me, I would have!). Hanging out in the kitchen while he made his fabulous egg dish or waffles (YUM!), you felt like you were staying at a friend's house. The fruit was exquisite every morning, and it spoiled me for when I came home and couldn't have the same thing every morning in Portland.

We met another couple staying there (also from Portland, through complete coincidence), who let us peek into their room, which while smaller than ours, was no less beautiful. It had a little lanai off it, and a huge bathtub. We all agreed that ANY room you stay in here is going to be a winner.

I will definitely go back to Hilo, and absolutely with no question, stay at Hilo Bay B&B every time. As far as I'm concerned, there really is no other place to stay there. It's an amazing little jewel right in the middle of the city.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 18, 2009

We had a wonderfully relaxing stay at Hilo Bay B&B, the gorgeous tropical fruit breakfasts being a real highlight! Staying here was a real pleasure; our host Matt was so welcoming and friendly, and we had a lovely big room with a well-appointed, modern bathroom. Just a short stroll from the main shopping area of Hilo, the Hilo Bay B&B is also well placed if you need to visit the Hilo campus of the University of Hawaii. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2009

We stayed at Hilo Bay Hale for two weeks in August. We had a fantastic time, in no small part due to the warm and friendly hospitality from Matt and Danny. The rooms were huge, clean and amazingly decorated. We loved the lanai overlooking the koi pond, fantastic for dinner after a hard days sightseeing! One of my favourite things about the house was the extensive collection of Hawai'i-themed books free to read.

Matt, our host was an absolute star, cooking us a hot breakfast every morning with fresh hot coffee, waffles, eggs and fresh papaya, grapes and pineapple! It was divine and hard to leave behind! The kitchen was well equipped with all the utensils needed to cook your own meals.

The house was in a prime location only a short 5 min walk from downtown Hilo, with lovely views overlooking Hilo Bay. It was fantastic to walk down and browse through the Farmer's Market after a lazy morning, although it would be wise to take an umbrella!

We had a fantastic time at Hilo Bay Hale and would recommend it unreservedly to anyone traveling to Hilo. Matt and Danny are very accommodating and friendly, and make you feel like you're at home. They're full of useful advice on places to visit and restaurants worth going to! We're keen to go back once they've installed the jacuzzi!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2009

This was my second time staying at the Hilo Bay Hale B&B and just as with the first visit it was wonderful! I was made to feel right at home from the beginning by Danny and Matthew. It feels more like a home away from home . . . a second home!

The rooms are well appointed, my bed was comfortable, the bathroom just right, and the breakfast in the morning got my morning started perfectly! And . . . there's WiFi throughout the house!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Moonshadow262
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Very nice, well-appointed house in a great central location. Hosts are super friendly. I plan to stay here again and definitely recommend this place others.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I highly recommend this B&B for any scholars doing research on Hawaii Island. Close to the UH Hilo Campus and walking distance to the wonderful Hilo farmers market. Wireless internet is included - that was a real lifesaver.
Dr. Janet Six
Maui, Hawaii

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank drsix
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Everything about Hilo Bay B&B was genuine and of high value: from our informative host Danny Miller's pleasure in welcoming and helping us; to his assistant Victor's yummy breakfasts; to the furnishing and decor of this gracious downtown home. Hilo Bay B&B gave us a real sense of place, down details like the locally produced soap, east Hawaiian coffee and lilkoi jelly available at the local farmer's market.
At a far more reasonable price than the local "luxury" B&B's and far more luxurious and evocative of Hilo life than the "bargain" rooms available elsewhere, we found real value here.
The lush gardens and general tropical greenery belied our downtown location. Complimentary bicycles made exploring tropical Hilo Bay's urban features and local beaches a car-free breeze.
We have traveled much of Europe, South Asia and South Africa using Trip Advisor as well as other Internet resources and Hilo Bay B & B is a real find that I don't hesitate to share with fellow travelers.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple