All reviews james michener lava room koi pond fresh fruit cinnamon bread egg strata rain shower washer and dryer travel tips a fairly busy street plantation home place to stay welcoming hosts private garden bed and breakfast other guests orchid room
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We stayed 3 nights in the Lava Room which we shared with a hoard of mozzies and had to buy own own bug spray as there wasn't one available. We didn't need an alarm clock as the kitchen was right overhead so every footstep and conversation was clearly heard. Our biggest gripes were the fact that there is only a flimsy screen between bedroom and bathroom (even best friends need a bathroom door for privacy!), the room was not serviced during our stay (bed not made, bathroom not cleaned) and there were flies crawling on the breakfast foods. The welcome was friendly, good info on local places to eat and we were thankful to have the use of the laundry but would have stayed in Kona and visited the volcano from there had we realised that the drive from Kona is not far (by Australian standards, anyway).

Room Tip: Maybe the upstairs rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin-Koala
Reviewed December 2, 2011

what to expect. My husband was initially hesitant because he is a big hotel lover, a/c blasting and property to explore. But I thought that since we were going over for a wedding, why not go for a more intimate experience?
We booked online and Matthew called to confirm with us the next day. I booked quite far out so called 48 hours before our reservation and he went over all the details with us, very friendly and courteous.
We arrived on island WAY before check in time and Matthew was still preparing the room but he welcomed us inside, showed us where we could freshen up and gave us our room keys, as we would not be returning till late evening. We came home that night to a lovely room, The Lava Room. The linens were clean and comfy. The room was tastefully decorated with as Asian feel. The bathroom was lovely, very unique and we enjoyed the way the shower opened up to the private garden.
Breakfast was served by Matthew the next morning. It was very tasty and the coffee was fantastic. There was an assortment of baked items, an egg dish, beautiful fresh fruit and crispy bacon. I ate on the porch/dining area and got to know one of the other visitors, while my husband slept in. Matthew encouraged me to take breakfast down to the room for him so he wouldn't miss out. He was so friendly.
We didn't see Matthew again before we checked out since we left early the next morning, but I would like to stress that he was very friendly and....uhh, you could say that I am a bit of an overplanner and can sweat the details. It takes a certain kind of personality to deal well with me and he did it beautifully.
The only complaint that my husband had was that the ceiling in the entranceway to and from our room were a bit low for him (he is 6'2). He bonked his head once.
Overall, the private gardens, the tasty breakfast and friendly host made for a lovely B&B experience and I did not miss the big hotel experience at all.

Room Tip: If you are coming and going at odd hours the Lava Room is very private and quiet with a separate entrance.
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed here in November of 2011. Reserving a room was easy. The hosts were great to deal with on the phone and in person.

We stayed in the Michener room. I think it is the best room in the place because it is the farthest from the street. Nice room and very nice bathroom. Each room has a private lanai. Next to our lanai was a small koi pool. The lanai was a very peaceful place to read/relax.

Host Danny fixed us a great breakfast and provided friendly conversation.

There is NOTHING negative about this B&B. It is in a quiet neighborhood.

The parking lot is small with only enough room for 3 cars but there is plenty of room for parking on the street.

I would not bother looking anywhere else!

You will notice reviews of other B&B's in Hilo have some negative comments. You will not see any about this place.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

We stayed 4 nights in the Bay Room. Misty and Matthew not only prepared scrumptious breakfast with fresh fruit and baked goods, also bacon and scrambled eggs. In addition, they offered us lots of advice and lent us rain capes, flashlights, beach towels for our trips to the beach and the Volcano NP. Thanks to Misty's tip about CarlSmith Beach Park, I not only saw a turtle about 5 seconds after hitting the sea, it actually came swimming right up to me. You can't beat that as a starter to holidays in Hawai'i!
Hilo Bay Hale also offers the use of the washing machine and has wifi. The frogs are very loud, but we found the sound rather soothing.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed here November 6 and 7, in the James Mitchner room. The room, and the Hale in general, was warm and welcoming. The bathroom in the Mitchner room is amazing - it's really a bath ROOM, having been converted from what was once a nursery. The Lanai off the side of the room overlooks an amazingly stocked koi poind as well as the gardens, and is a lovely place to sit in the morning or evening.

The interior design throughout was lovely, with special attention paid to little details that just made everything lovely - no surprise when I learned proprietor had formerly been charged with design and layout for a major bookstore chain (now defunct). They truly capture the feel of Hawaii in the hale, and also have a great personal knowledge of the Big Island and of Hilo. Oh, and it's a short, easy walk to "downtown" Hilo Town, too.

Breakfast was plentiful and delicious, with something for everyone - fresh fruit from their farm, fresh-baked breads, eggs, meats, and of course coffee and juice. I sat at the beautiful monkey-pod wood bar in the kitchen and chatted with our host as he cooked - a real treat. We definitely hope to stay here again the next time we come back to Hilo!

Room Tip: Definitely recommend the Mitchner room!