All reviewsjames michenerlava roomkoi pondfresh fruitcinnamon breadegg stratarain showerwasher and dryertravel tipsa fairly busy streetplantation homeplace to staywelcoming hostsprivate gardenbed and breakfastcharming b bother guests
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We were traveling from Switzerland and Germany and spent our last night in Hawaii in the James Michener Room at Hilo Bay Hale B&B. Misty and Matthew were both wonderful hosts with lots of suggestions for dining out and sightseeing in the area. The room was beautiful and everything was spotless. We enjoyed having our own private lenai. Matthew made a fantastic breakfast consisting of his own grown fresh fruit, omelette, banana bread, bagels and the best French toast I've ever had. I cannot think of one negative thing to say about our stay.

Thanks for being such marvelous hosts Matthew & Misty!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed in the Lava room for 1 night with our 2 young sons. Misty's breakfast, welcoming presence and travel tips were lovely. We were very comfortable and truly enjoyed our stay.
Location is terrific and easy to find.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank HeBuSaTo
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Misty is a wonderful host, whipping up a beautiful breakfast. The Lava Room was a lovely spot. Convenient location, just a few blocks from Hilo's main street.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CBinNY
Reviewed December 16, 2010

I stayed at three different places in Hawaii... a condo resort in Kona, Hilo Bay B&B in Hilo, and an expensive ocean-front condo in Maui. My favorite.... Hilo Bay Hale!!! The place was immaculate and so charming! I stayed in the James Michener room for 2 nights. From the pictures, I thought the room would be really tiny, but it is an adequate size for two adults and the bathroom was very nice and big. I loved the decor and wish that my house could look like it. The bed was so comfortable, and even the towels were soft and fluffy. The frogs were loud at night, but did not bother me. In fact, I found the frogs and the sound of the rain so soothing that I slept better here than at any of the other places I stayed at while in Hawaii. Misty was our hostess and was very friendly and helpful and not intrusive. It was my husband's birthday, and I wanted to surprise him with a birthday cake but could not sneak out myself, so Misty got Danny to get a cake and even candles for us. How sweet! and the cake was delicious! Elaborate and decadent breakfast every morning. The room was hot when I first got there at around 4pm and there is no A/C. However, Misty gave us an extra fan, and the room also cooled a lot at night, so much that we turned off the fans and had to close the balcony door. (This was November). The only regret I have is not staying there longer!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank noodle_dumpling
Reviewed December 9, 2010

Our family of four stayed in the Lava Room in July, and were completely charmed by this B&B and its hosts. The breakfasts were wonderfully fresh and varied, and Matthew and Misty always greeted us warmly and made sure that we had everything we needed to start our day. While both hosts were very kind to our children, Misty in particular went out of her way to make them feel at home, even sharing a board game and snacks with them one evening. The home itself is lovely and well-maintained, with beautifully designed gardens full of frogs, fish, and other fascinating critters. We loved it all, and were sad to leave.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family