“Home Sweet Home...away from Home.”

Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #4 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Hilo
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I traveled on my own and made one mistake.
For the time frame I was staying, I booked Hostel side. I've never had a bad experience in a Hostel...until I stayed in an amerikan hostel. This was the ONLY down side to my stay here. Now that I know better, I'd happily return and stay in my own room.

If you are looking for luxury, this is not the right place for you. If you like down to earth, "real" and good people with hospitality+, it is wonderful place to stay.
This is more suitable for the nature lover, so for me...it was fabulous.

The kiko Frogs are quite loud but pleasant to listen to during the cool evenings in the yard. When it came time for sleep, silicone earplugs worked like a charm.

The other thing I was not aware of was the need for a car. There are buses that run on the big Island, but you are truly at their mercy.

I enjoyed just sitting in the yard talking to other travelers, guests and residents. The owners are wonderful. I grew very fond of Ben, Lee, Arthur and Erma...and of course
a couple of the locals.

The Wild Ginger is located close enough to shopping, if you are staying for a few days, i suggest getting a shopper card at the Sack and Save, and getting produce at the farmers market.
You can get use of the kitchen to prepare your own food. I found a few restaurants I really liked just a few short blocks away.

The Inn may not be for everyone, especially High maintenance Americans, but for myself and those who visit every year, its a special place.

Breakfast is the only meal served to guests, yet it is a treat. You can't beat the price for Hawaii!

~kmw

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank akak8

Reviewed October 23, 2009

Don't expect a fancy hotel here, but very clean and convenient. Great place to base for hikes and sightseeing.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joanieutah
Reviewed October 8, 2009

although the town of Hilo is not fun at all, the Wild Ginger was decently priced and we could walk to some restaurants nearby to get a bite to eat (no good restaurants in Hilo BTW...is seemed to me that meth has decimated the town). would stay there again for sure. staff were nice enough. certainly no frills, but a very good place to crash for not too much cash. perfect place to sleep in between hiking and snorkeling on that side of the island. the hiking and snorkeling over there are fabulous!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ksrich343
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We stayed at the Wild Ginger Inn for 5 nights in May 2008. The staff is very friendly and they make a nice fresh breakfast. Our room was basic, but pretty clean. We enjoyed our time here, it's a really relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2008

My wife and I stayed for one week and were greeted with a friendly welcome and morning chats over coffee every morning.

Don't let the run-down mosquito doors screen put you off, the rooms are very clean and fully serviced with cable TV, fridge, microwave, and very hot showers! Their evening "quiet" policies were very welcoming and they have ample parking space (which is a real headache on the island at other hotels). The owners even helped me with my rental car troubles without hesitation.

The location overlooks the ocean and is easily accessible once you get your bearings in Hilo. This hotel is perfect for the outdoorsy folks who need to crash after a good day's hike on the volcano.

A real down-to-earth Inn which I will definitely return to in the future.

From Mr. Sander (Canadian)

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrSCanada
Reviewed November 14, 2008

I've visited all of the major Hawaiian Islands on numerous occasions. I've stayed at some of the finest hotels (The Maui Prince etc.) and this place was undoubtedly the absolute best place for one reason. THE BREAKFAST WAS EXCELLENT. The owners are very pleasant and helpful. They moved from California to operate the hotel, but they seem to known their way around the island considering their involvement with Hula competitions. It is located near the ocean, but with limited views. The rooms are very basic and clean. The tourists don't overwhelm the locals in Hilo, so expect a different vibe. Everything aside, this hotel serves the most tasteful authentic Hawaiian breakfast you will get anywhere!!!

Wild Ginger Inn Website:

For more information regarding my trips to Hawaii check out:

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SurfColdWater
Reviewed July 21, 2008

This hotel was recommened by a fellow guest at a retreat we were staying at. She and her husband had stayed at the inn previously and were going back again for a few days. She said we would enjoy it and she was right! the rooms were clean, comfortable and the owner was up early the next morning getting the buffet set up. Since he and I were the only two awake that early, I enjoyed a cup of coffee and a wonderful conversation with him about the Merry Monarch Hula and a lot of Hawaiian history. When we were leaving, not only did he give us directions but information on some of the local sights he thought we might enjoy. The hotel is old, but clean. The frogs will put you to sleep and landscaping in the courtyard is beautiful. We're staying again this week when we go back to Hilo!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank muffinsmo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Hilo Reeds Bay Hotel

Been to Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel? Share your experiences!