“Best Island Style Breakfast on the Hawaiian Islands!!!”

Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #4 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Hilo
Reviewed November 14, 2008

I've visited all of the major Hawaiian Islands on numerous occasions. I've stayed at some of the finest hotels (The Maui Prince etc.) and this place was undoubtedly the absolute best place for one reason. THE BREAKFAST WAS EXCELLENT. The owners are very pleasant and helpful. They moved from California to operate the hotel, but they seem to known their way around the island considering their involvement with Hula competitions. It is located near the ocean, but with limited views. The rooms are very basic and clean. The tourists don't overwhelm the locals in Hilo, so expect a different vibe. Everything aside, this hotel serves the most tasteful authentic Hawaiian breakfast you will get anywhere!!!

Wild Ginger Inn Website:

For more information regarding my trips to Hawaii check out:

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SurfColdWater

Reviewed July 21, 2008

This hotel was recommened by a fellow guest at a retreat we were staying at. She and her husband had stayed at the inn previously and were going back again for a few days. She said we would enjoy it and she was right! the rooms were clean, comfortable and the owner was up early the next morning getting the buffet set up. Since he and I were the only two awake that early, I enjoyed a cup of coffee and a wonderful conversation with him about the Merry Monarch Hula and a lot of Hawaiian history. When we were leaving, not only did he give us directions but information on some of the local sights he thought we might enjoy. The hotel is old, but clean. The frogs will put you to sleep and landscaping in the courtyard is beautiful. We're staying again this week when we go back to Hilo!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank muffinsmo
Reviewed October 30, 2007

My husband and I had been on the Kona side for 6 days, but since we we're flying out of Hilo at 8am, decided to find a place there. The Wild Ginger Inn was recommended to us by the property manager of the cottage we stayed at in Honaunau. I checked out the website, it looked good and was the cheapest, so I booked for one night.

Our immediate thoughts upon arrival were "What a dump, let's get out of here". Its old and worn down. The furnishings were ok, and the bed sank down a little, but I'd say the room was pretty clean. Tall people, beware - my husband hit his head entering/exiting the bathroom several times. Our room was on the upper level, with the window surrounded by bamboo trees. The rain and geckos were extremely loud, but I actually liked that.

This definitely is not the place for people used to luxury hotels, and I think the website advertises that correctly. Overall, I just wasn't comfortable there (in safety's sense), and will probably stay on the Kona side next time.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank divergrrl
Reviewed March 6, 2007

This was my 5th time at the Wild Ginger Inn, and found it to be clean as a pin, no bugs in sight, not even an ant! New owners, this place has changed hands several times over the past few years,but they were very nice and found me a room even though I walked in without a reservation on a Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning as I was about to leave my rental car had a flat tire, and a young man who worked there had a compresser and filled up my tire for me and would not take a penny for his efforts. I am planning on taking my friend from Canada there for a night when she gets here from Canada. Nothing fancy, but it has a large lanai to sit and read, look out at the ocean or the banana trees in the garden. It has a microwave, a small refridgerator, It is laid back and more like old Hawaii. The only place I stay when I make that drive around the island.

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank travelinglady2005
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed May 25, 2006

I stayed here May 14, 2006
Accomodations initialy appear to be spartan, but VERY clean.
However, I woke up in middle of night to see a VERY LARGE
cockroach on the table next to my bed!

It was what are known as Palmetto bugs in Florida-i.e. at least 3 inches in size.
YUCK!
It appears the previous resident had left crumbs on the table.

The table had never been cleaned off. Thus, cockroach. I killed it on the floor(again YUCK)
It was 3am, so I went to bed.
In the morning I discovered a horde of ants devouring the cockroach. YUCK.

The hotel appears to be undergoing renovations so perhaps this wont happen again.
However I did not feel very safe walking to this location from downtown Hilo
at 10pm at night. It was deserted and kinda scary with homeless people about.

What I liked: Very tropical-its on a ravine filled with happy frogs
and GIANT 3 story high bamboo that were scraping the rooftop all night long.

The courtyard has bananna trees.
The room and the lounge area catches VERY nice breezes and there are hammocks
to hang out in.

It was cheap and conveniently located.(60$, 4 blocks from Cafe Pesto)
If I couldnt find anything else as cheap and I needed to stay downtown,
I might stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed March 4, 2006

My husband & I have stayed at this inn several times over the past 10 years. Yes, it's gone through ownership changes and is constantly getting work done... the new owners & their family are working hard. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and good times "talking story" at the inn. We had no problems with dirt or bugs (altho we are from Hawaii so we know what to expect if something does show up!). My only disappointment was trying to get a hot shower in the middle of the day when (I guess?) laundry pulled the hot water away from the room... I had no problem getting a hot shower later. I would not give up the congeniality and affordability for a predictable,lonely and sterile hotel.

• Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 22, 2006

This "hotel" needs to be demolished. Whilst the location is good the entire place is run down, full of bugs, beat up and has a "mouldy" air to it. I booked the room based on the recommendation in "Lonely Planet" and as a result will view all Lonely Planet recommendations with a jaded eye from now on.

Do yourself a favour and pay more to stay in a decent establishment. Wild Ginger is at the lowest end of the budget scale and will depress even the most tollerant traveller.

• Stayed: January 2005