“We tried to stay, but it was infested with termites”

Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #4 of 11 Specialty Lodging in Hilo
Detroit, Michigan
“We tried to stay, but it was infested with termites”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I brought my mother here because I thought it would be nostalgic. She was raised on a plantation on Maui in the 1930's, so I thought it would be enjoyable for her. The tiles were cracked, the towels were threadbare and didn't match, the screens had holes, it had a musty smell, and looked ready for demolition. The kids were afraid of the room. They had never stayed in such a seedy room ever before. We told management about the termites, and they said if you wait until night, they will return to the ground. Then my mother got bit by one, and started scratching. Nostalgia or not, we had to go. We told them that we were checking out immediately, and they said that we could only get a partial refund. I said "I don't care. My kids are terrified and my mom is scratching her arm from a bite." They apologized and let me talk to a manager on the phone. They said that my money would be refunded, and I could spend the night free of charge. I said "Thanks, but no thanks. I couldn't stay in a bug infested room if YOU paid ME to stay." They need to hire a tall crane with a big ball, and demolish the structures, keep the garden, and start anew. I would rather sleep on a bench in a public park

Room Tip: somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank viperdrive1963
tlcwgi, General Manager at Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Aloha, I see you've stayed almost a year ago. The hotel is under new management and as you can see from our most recent reviews who have stayed earlier this year we have made improvements. We are continuing to make these improvements interior and exterior. Mahalo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon and have very mixed opinions about this hotel. He had previously been with his family approximately 10 years ago and subsequently has an over-romanticised opinion of the place. His nostalgia prompted him to book it for our honeymoon. Coming in at 58 USD for a ensuite hotel room, it seemed the bargain of the trip. However the hotel had changed hands since his last visit. The rooms are relatively spacious with a fridge, however they are not completely clean and could do with a lick of paint. There bed came compete with a waterproof mattress and the shower was a touch under-powered. There was no wifi in the room and we had a river view room, compete with nocturnal entertainment from the mating coqui frogs- which kept us up most of the night. The breakfast in the morning was home baked bread, bananas and toast. while my husband loved the place, I had some reservations about its cleanliness. All in all a much talked about and memorable place to stay on our honeymoon! There is also a very rudimentary gym- which is worth a look if only for a laugh!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
tlcwgi, General Manager at Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Mahalo for the review. I see you've stayed in February 2014 since then the inn has been in transition with new management. We have been actively addressing the issues of updates to the inn. All rooms are getting a fresh coat of paint and remodel as needed. Aloha!
Dee Why, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Hostel is close to the shops and the town center of Hilo. It has a nice little garden with bbq at the back of the building and lush forest alongside. It is quite basic and a bit shabby. We stayed in what is called outdoor storage room- located in the basement, together with an open space dorm. Room was small with walls made of bamboo and there was just a queen bed with a mosquito net hung above and small sofa in it. We actually appreciated the room as it was nice and breezy during night and for a superb price ($45 room/night). Price included continental breakfast and also WiFi acess. The other guests were friendly, eclectic mix of backpackers, people temporary working in Hilo and long-term guests. It was laid back place with positive even though a bit funny vibe and I would not mind to stay there again when in Hilo.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank KackaS
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

a nice hostel not far from the center. Staff friendly, rooms comfie and spacious. You'll have the privilege to see geekos running in the yard while having breakfast which include a very nice homemade cake. And that for a reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2014
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The Wild Ginger Inn is an awesome spot to stay, especially for budget travelers who are used to travelling abroad. It reminds me of hostels in South America--family-run, simple, and affordable--with the quirks and benefits of any family-run hotel. It’s safe, comfortable, and friendly, with a dedicated management staff that works hard to ensure everyone enjoys their stay. Guests range from international backpackers living in tents, to families with kids staying one night before flying out, to snowbirders who have been visiting the island for years.

I recommend reading the reviews and the website to get a sense for the place before coming. If you’re looking for a luxury stay, or the anonymity of a Best Western, this place isn’t for you. But if you’re looking for a glimpse into real Hawaii, and you’re willing to brave the noise of the singing frogs...this is the place to be!

(Also, there isn't a swimming pool--I just gave it 5 stars for that because you can walk to the beach.)

Room Tip: If you want privacy, or are traveling with your family, get a room on the "Bamboo Level"...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erin W
Mahalo for the kind words and seeing exactly what we are trying to present an Old Hawaiian Island Style Ambiance. I know your advice and tips will be helpful to future guest. A hui hoa!
Reviewed February 8, 2014

i highly recommend this place, the real deal for those that want a nice place
For a budget minded traveler.it's clean , has laundry, has many sitting areas to hang loose.& relax,has,3 kitchens , one is outside, for the $12.00 tent camping, one in main lobby &1 for dorms.a fine establishment hilo hi the most reasonable area i have
Found on the islands of Hawaii, it's very plush and green side of island ,
Location,location,location.
Check out their Web site

• Stayed January 2014
Mahalo for the nice review and letting everyone know the many different levels of comfort. Aloha!
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

The rice cake in their complementary breakfast is very good! They have washer and dryer in hotel ($1.75 per use per machine). And free parking.
Bad thing is that I need a real blanket, not a sheet.

---------ignore the rest---------

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Hilo Bay Hostel
Hilo Bay Hostel
#3 of 11 in Hilo

Been to Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel? Share your experiences!