“Our favorite place to stay in Hilo”

Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #4 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Hilo
Reviewed February 10, 2013

From the point of view of my husband and myself, this should get five stars. We stay every time we are there but it is not for everybody. It's a little like stepping back into the 1920s or 30s. Very old Hawaiian plantation like. It has an old fashioned reception area where guests gather to chat. Ben, the proprietor, says that he gets a lot of travel writers and chefs. There is no internet in the room but a very strong wireless signal in the lobby area. This tends to bring people, working and doing, as they say in Hawaii “talk story.” Ben provides a basic continental breakfast and joins the group for breakfast so people gather and talk to him. If you ask, Ben might prepare his special sweet rice and banana concoction wrapped in banana leaves.
What the other reviews say is true. The rooms are spare, small TVs, small bathrooms, noisy frogs, thin walls. You stay at Wild Ginger for the ambiance of old Hawaii and the interesting people who stay there. And the rooms are probably the cheapest on the Island. Helps the pocket book.

Room Tip: The far end room is a little more expensive but a little larger. Try and get that one if it's a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
tlcwgi, General Manager at Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

I am glad to see our customers enjoyed what we have to offer. Mahalo Nui!

The original Wild Ginger Inn building was built in 1909 and it was converted to a inn in the 1930’s. We do no claim to be a modern. We offer a space in time an old plantation style feel that is perfect for travels and for those who want to experience Hawaii in the old days. The Coqui Frog are new to The Big Island and they do make matting calls all night, but we learn live with them. They resemble the sound of crickets. The Wild Ginger Inn offer Hotel room, Hostel room and tenting.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Been staying @ the WGI since the late 90's (when on assignment to the big island); we stay approx 4-7days per year, we go for the black & white night celebration in Hilo, hawai'i (in November)
Its a family affair run by Ben, very casual, w/ wonderful breakfast of baked goods by Arthur...it's old style hawai'i (no pool, hot tub, air conditioning, etc) WGI has a great view and wonderful grounds; plus the ocean trade winds are splendid !
WGI, to quote the david johansen song 'funky funky but chic' with very reasonable accommodations !
Its just a short 2 block walk from a residential neighborhood to downtown Hilo...the last great old school city in hawai'i (now a citadel of eclectic eccentric shops & wonderful fusion and authentic dining experiences)
We are going again this year, 2012...its my 14th visit @ WGI; the rest of our stay is in Volcano Vilage when visiting the big island annually

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Sassyslide101
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed here for three nights and it was ok. It is really a budget place, so dont expect much. The owner is really nice and talkative. The rooms are clean, but very basic equipped, dont expect anything fancy. The rooms are not really isolated, therefore it gets very noisy. You hear especially the frogs in the rainforrest all night long.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Cute place, and I love the crazy tree frogs and homey breakfast. But the traffic is loud, and the people next door might as well have been in our room. We heard their every cough and moan and toilet flush. To say the walls are thin doesn't really explain the noise situation there -- we had camped out for 3 nights before trying to crash here and we still barely slept!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Kimberly L
Reviewed September 8, 2011

After a 18 hour journey from Ohio, we arrived in Hilo around 8 pm. We informed them earlier that we would come around 8.30 pm. It was close to 9 pm when we arrived, and they had waited us until then. Friendly folks.

Room was very basic, but had a microwave, so we got some frozen pizzas from Walmart that is nearby as our jet-lagged dinner. Bed was comfortable, and weren't bothered by frogs that others complain.. since we slept like babies after traveling for so long.

Breakfast is very basic, but enough to get the morning going. It was perfect for a nights' stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2011

So I drove to Hilo for one night from the Sheraton Resort and Spa in Kona. Let me say this is not a resort and spa. Having said that it was a great deal! I loved the location (rain forest). The frogs are awesome. If you don’t like the sound of frogs (like those from those silly noise machines) it will make you crazy – if you like the sound it’s awesome!

The room was clean and adequate. The bed was fine, bathroom fine. No frills, no hair dryer but it did have a fridge AND microwave for under $60 a night in Hilo! They lock the main door at 9pm so you have to use a key to get into where the rooms are. As a single traveler I liked that. It felt much more like a hostel than hotel but again I liked that they locked it up.

There were two computers in the common area that people used to get on the net. I had my laptop and mi-fi card so I didn’t use them. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful. In the am there was coffee and some sort of breakfast – I didn’t eat. Overall, no complaints AT ALL. Would I stay there again for a night? YES! Would I stay for a week? Probably not. It’s what you would expect, a very inexpensive spot to crash in Hilo. Did I see bugs? ONE in the middle of the night (got up to use the bathroom). It’s the rain forest people, you are going to see bugs. I live in Florida and have WAY bigger roaches make their way into my house from time to time. It’s a great value hotel but know what you are getting into – it’s not what I would call a B&B, I would call it adequate budget accommodations.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank hamrickpa
Reviewed February 2, 2011

We stayed here after hiking Mauna Kea. I really just wanted a bed to sleep in after hiking and before going backpacking. The guy who booked our room seem surprised when I called. The room was ok, clean and the bed was comfy. It took almost 10 minutes to get hot water in the shower.
I wouldn't really call this a B&B as breakfast is fruit coffee and toast. There are many long term residents who out number people stay as hotel guests.
I didn't have any great expectations so I can't say I was disappointed, except for the shower issue. It's a shame, this place could be very charming but the owners are just letting it rot.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple