“Excellent base for visiting Volcano National Park on a budget.”
Review of Arnott's Lodge

and 1 more site!
Arnott's Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Excellent base for visiting Volcano National Park on a budget.”
Reviewed July 14, 2010

A bit out of town but convenient for airport. Has tent sites, dormitories and deluxe rooms. Deluxe rooms are in an annexe and are large, overlooking lawn area, with bath and shower, tea/coffee making equipment. These 5 rooms share a kitchen and lounge. Although plenty of young people across the drive in the tent/dorm area, we heard no noise from them at all. Helpful staff with laundrette and internet access on site. Public transport and shops non-existent but proprietor Doug does a minivan run for those on foot, also a free Saturday Night pizza supper 'get-together' for visitors.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Arnotts, General Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
We appreciate your comments. As part of our "ohana" (family), we hope to see you soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Keaau, Hawaii
Reviewed May 4, 2010

The theme that runs throughout the reviews for Arnott's is to be paid attention to, because there is no excuse for mildew, bedbugs, dirt or unfriendliness.
For those of us who live in Hilo, right on the ocean, with the rain and damp and far more direct salt spray than Arnott's ever gets, let me assure you WE have no such problems, so for Arnott's to make excuses tells you the staff themselves must live in unsanitary conditions and consider that normal, and have no respect for the customers that provide a living for them. Bedding needs to be washed, and dried. If mattresses harbor bedbugs they must be treated or replaced, The room must be cleaned before the guest arrives. This is just common sense.
TripAdvisor has great value to travelers for providing a forum for discussing travel issues, good and bad. Search for Hilo accommodations, look at the ratings and how many reviews any given place receives, and search more deeply when you come up with a list of prospects.
When anyone, anywhere, is rude to you, look them in the eye and say " I did not choose to come here to spend my money so that you could be rude to me. Stop it." You owe nothing to the people who you give your business to. They owe YOU respect.

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank richardsullivan
We apologize for your bad experience here at Arnotts. Strange that you encountered bed bugs as the mattresses were replaced with brand new ones just before you arrived here. Another guest had complained of bed bugs and upon inspection found to be mistaken for small ants. That could have been the case here. We treated our property but being in a tropical environment, sometimes, though infrequently, the ants sometimes find their way back into a room especially where there is food left out. From your address, you live in the same district as our lodge, approximately 20 minutes away so I'm sure you encounter these problems too.
We have a new staff here that we hope will convey the aloha spirit to everyone. Thank you for your review. Its with our guests that we can only move forward and improve our lodge.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I have stayed in a lot of hostels all over the world and I have to say this is one of the worst. The room we stayed in (semi private) was dirty and smelled very strongly of cat urine but worst of all BED BUGS! It was almost impossible to sleep. The staff was nice but that didn't make up for the terrible conditions. I would never recommend you stay there. The Hilo Bay Hostel in town is a much better (cleaner/bed bug free) option

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
If you did stay here, we apologize for your experience here. We don't know how you encountered bed bugs when we replaced all our mattresses with new ones. We do not allow pets at our lodge now or ever nor have we seen stray cats on our property in a long time. Our carpets are only a year old so it is confusing to see a review like this. We recently have gone through a change in staff so we hope each and every one of our guests leave here with the aloha spirit.
Detroit
Reviewed April 13, 2010

They where sold out when I arrived but upgraded me to the house across the street that they own.On first appearences it looked nice.When I went to sleep I was woke up by bugs crawling on me.Swatted it and turned on the lights.What a horror.The Bug I swatted was a bed bug that had feasted upon me and left a bloody mess.Upon closer inspection I found many more hiding under the covers.Thank God i had my sleeping bag which I threw on the floor and crawled into after getting fully dressed to avoid further becoming a moveable feast.Next morning I was still appalled and grossed out.Went to the front desk to get a refund and showed them the welts their bed bugs had left on me.She told me rudely that they aware of the problem and that no refund would be given.promply cancelled the rest of my stay there and went to Hilo Hotel for 20 bucks extra.Best decision i could of made.Had my own tv great room with a fridge and all in all a great hotel.In short I'm still grossed out on being made a feast and how they continue to fill the bed bug filled rooms with travelers .Don't stay unless you like sharing your bed with unwanted parasites.What a mightmare this place is.Despite its nice initial appearence.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
If indeed you did stay at our lodge, we apologize if we have caused an inconvenience for you. This mystifies us as we our carpets are practically brand new, we replaced all our old ones with brand new ones, and our front desk never had anyone come up to complain about bed bugs. We did, at one time, have a problem with fire ants but treated our property and remedied that situation. That could have been the cause of your problem. Nonetheless, we have a completely new staff here with the aloha spirit and an eye for cleanliness. We're constantly upgrading our rooms and hope you will try us again.
New Zealand
Reviewed January 12, 2010

rooms ok - you need a car - don't believe them when they say you can catch the bus everywhere from here - they don't know anything about it.
Poor local knowledge, and unable to give correct infomation on there tours. Constantly mucked me about on my 4 days here - and failed to provide the tour they promised prior by email. Or advise me on an alternative until well after it was too late to book with someone else.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank 4evatravelling
We are sorry for your bad experience here. We have undergone a change in staff and hope these new gals will show everyone the true aloha spirit of Hawaii. The bus now stops on the corner of the main road into our lodge and the best thing about it, is that it is free. We hope you will give us another try.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 5, 2010

we stayed in Arnotts lodge for the sake of getting discount for the tours. however, the Lava Hike tour was utterly dissapointing - we could do the same with just rented car, may be even more, because our guide Aaron didnt bother to take us to any interesting place. we havent even hiked the lave (which was the tour title).
we took another tour with them - to Mauna Kea stargazing. this tour was great because of the guide - Keoki. He is also making Lava hike tour, where they are actually hiking the Lava field.
I would recommend to sign up for Keoki tours only and if stay in the hotel, then spend here as little time as possible.
Location is very very far from downtown, so if you do not want to die from hunger you do need to rent a car from day 1.
Friendliness of the staff is a separate story... i see that other travellers already experienced this weird interpretation of Aloha spirit in Arnotts... staff is VERY UNFRIENDLY! this is even getting on nerves, as you are on vacation (why else would you come to Hawaii?).
on the other hand they had free wi-fi, laundry machines - this was helpful.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lelya_RU
We apologize for the rudeness of our staff. Let me assure you, they are no longer here. We have a completely new staff here at Arnott's and we are bringing back the Aloha Spirit!!
Stony Brook, NY
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I am in the lodge now. Very bad service! The front dest young lady checked us in very slowly and she was very cold all the time. The worst experience: we know that there is a free Saturday dinner with pizza, so I asked the front desk how to get it. The front desk lady just told me to show up at 7pm Saturday night. So we showed up at that time, but then was told by another lady that we had to sign up that morning or else we had to wait till the end to see whether there was some extra. We understand that those people who signed up should get enough to eat, but we were not told so when we checked in. And what's worse, the attitude of the lady who took care of this was sooooooo bad, like we were doing something wrong by asking why we were not told to register.
The room was not clean as well. There were some bug eggs or feces on the windowsill, and the windows were not sealed well so the mosquitos can get in very easily. Pillows were also dirty. There were lots of things in the room that we did not use because we doubt whether they were clean as they looked not.
All in all, very bad experience. Although they said in their website that reviews in tripadvisor are not believable, I do feel that the reviews below are very trustworthy. So be aware when you are deciding whether to stay here or not.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank haharat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona

Been to Arnott's Lodge? Share your experiences!