“No Refund for Tour”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
A TripAdvisor Member
“No Refund for Tour”
Reviewed October 25, 2005

We paid for a tour to the top of Mauna Kea. The van broke down 1/2 way there (serious transmission fluid leak). The next day we spoke to the owner, Doug Arnott. He was extremely rude, said it was not his fault that the van wasn't properly maintained (GM's fault), but that he would give us a 50% refund. This has never been granted. Obviously we should've driven back to get a physical credit slip but he had assured us that since he had our credit card # it would be taken care of immediately. It was not.

Stayed August 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
oxford, england
Reviewed October 12, 2005

I'm rarely compelled to write any reviews, but I feel obligated to warn potential visitors to avoid Arnott's Lodge in Hilo, Hawaii. Management was rude and even threatening when approached with some concerns, even though my bill was paid upon check-in and I left my room in good order. Hostel rooms feel like cell blocks with insufficient bathroom facilities. Deluxe rooms are hardly that. I did not get A/C in my room although I was told I would have it when I made my reservation. There are lengthy signs posted around the property describing Arnott's bad experiences with some guests. It has the feel of a compound and abundant megalomania. Every other destination on my trip around Hawaii was filled with lovely people. Avoid this place. I would suggest paying the extra $20-$30 to stay elsewhere in Hilo, which would likely also get you closer to the city center.

17 Thank nodeda
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2005

We stayed for 3 nights at the Arnott's lodge a deluxe room. The room was very clean and the kitchen was well maintained. For the cost, this is an excellent option of a low budget clean place to stay. The facility is basically set up for back-packers but you are separated from the main dormatory. Their is access to a general area and TV room but this is typically dominated by back-packers. What really makes this place shine is the great tours that they run for very low cost. We definately would recommend taking the Mau Kea summit tour.

2 Thank DMcDonell
Monterey, CA
Reviewed June 16, 2005

We enjoyed our stay at Arnott's in Hilo. We stayed for several nights in one of the "deluxe" private rooms with private bath (ours was room 1). The private room was pretty quiet and very clean. Finding decent places to stay in Hawaii for this kind of price is not easy and I would definitely stay here again. In fact, our room here was much nicer than most of the other places we stayed which cost a lot more. The hostel area seemed pretty good as well. Compared to hostels we have used in Europe I'd say it is above average.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank splicha
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 6, 2005

Arnott's Lodge near Richardson's Beach in Hilo is less than two miles from the airport in a residential area. This is not a full-service hotel but rather a small motel with dormitory rooms segregated for males and females, two room suites with shared bathroom and kitchen and so-called deluxe rooms with private bathrooms. Also, there is a small area for tents with shared outhouses and showers and an outdoor communal dining area, plus a communal lounge with a large-screen television. The room rates are excellent with dorm bunks just $12/night and shared bathroom rooms just $39/night including taxes. Moreover, lodgers receive significant savings on Arnott's guided tours to island sights including the telescopes at the summit of Mauna Kea (13,700 feet). Arnott is one of the major tour operators on the island. If you can live without room service, daily maid service and a restaurant then this is a great place especially considering the rates and the discounts for tours. Lodging is restricted to seven nights to prevent people taking advantage of the bargain rates and residing. Nearby Richardson Beach is a real treasure if you want to snorkel with sea turtles.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kauai, Hawaii
Reviewed May 4, 2005

It was pure luck that I found a very low airfare to the Big Island and then stumbled upon Arnott's Lodge. They have a web site to make reservations if you think you would like a true adventure that is very educational as well. Dormitory and private rooms were very reasonably priced between $19.00 and $65.00. I had no need for a rental car as the lodge provided free transportation to and from the airport. A free taxi service to and from Hilo town made scheduled trips in the a.m. and p.m. hours for grocery and other shopping, dining, as well as events and movies. It was only a short (estimated two city blocks) walk to the beach through a "jungle" path (fun not scary). A well-equiped and clean community kitchen and laundry facility were available to all guests. Doug Arnott has created a marvelous site for travelers and adventurers from all over the world. He offers multiple other in-depth adventures beside trips to the lava flow from Kilauea volcano. These include a 12-passenger van tour up to Mauna Kea (extinct volcano at 14,000 ft), site of the Keck Observatory. He offers access to a variety of activities on the Big Island, e.g., hiking, biking down Mauna Loa, helicopter and plane rides and water adventures. I loved the volcano and lava flow adventure, especially the night-time tour to see the red hot lava streaming from the vent down into the ocean. This was one of my best adventures and it was really affordable for me. Almost forgot, you can rent a bike there for $2. all day and there is a tent area for you hardy young campers. I urge anyone to take a trip to the web site, an adventure in itself.

8 Thank bjbert
Portland, Maine
Reviewed March 13, 2005

My wife had booked a trip with Arnott's Lodge in July to go see the Lava on the Big Island. We cancelled three days before the trip, which was well before their 48 Hour notice. Low and behold we were charged for the trip and to this day, after four attempts to make contact with the owners they still refuse to answer our telephone calls to rectify the problem and we are out our money. I will never recommend this organization to anyone at all. Check your billing if you book a trip and then cancel well within the time frame.

• Stayed April 2005
19 Thank MikePortland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona

Been to Arnott's Lodge? Share your experiences!