“Go there...”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Brisbane
“Go there...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

I really liked this place, felt like I was more isolated than where it it actually is located.
The movie area is awesome, you can pick from like 300 movies or something, & the outdoor area is great. So nice to just sit out there. The guest appreciation dinner is also great.. free beer & pizza!!!
Did all the tours, I had a ball, I will come back for sure.

• Liked — The great atmosphere
  • Disliked — Far away from the middle of town
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank mia880

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

ugh. Dirty, werid atmosphere, rude front desk. Tour of lava flow was actually ok. Driver was friendly, talkative, but not extremely well informed. All in all the tour was reasonable.

There was a strange atmosphere at this place. Many signs posted of rules. I am including one as an example. I've traveled all over central and south america, and most places there were nicer than this hostel.

Definitely wouldn't use them again.

• Disliked — dirty, rude staff, werid atmosphere
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2007

We were spending most of our time on the other side of the island camping but decided to stay here for 3 nights so that we could explore this side of the island and not have to feel rushed back to our campsite at night.

I made my reservation on their website but when I got there they had no record of it. They seemed pretty quiet so they went ahead and booked me in. They weren't very friendly and even when I tried to strike up conversation they didn't seem interested. We booked a semi-private room for about $60/night. It was 3 bedrooms each with their own lock, a shared bathroom and kitchen. No one else ended up checking-in the whole time so we had the place to ourselves.

I didn't get much sleep the first night because the common area of the hostel (right outside my window) seemed to be the local hang out spot. There were locals there for hours being really loud and drinking. I was tired and not impressed.

The bedroom was nothing special but it had a fan and that's really all we cared about. There was also a mini-bar. The kitchen was stocked with utensils and pots, etc. The bathroom was wheelchair accessible so there was basically just a showerhead on the wall which ended in a very wet slippery floor. They had coin laundry facilities and a lounge area with a tv which was nice.

We had a rental car and prefer to explore on our own so we didn't join in on any excursions. Volcanoes Park was great and we spent some time there but other than that we weren't impressed by Hilo. They had an extensive farmer's market downtown which was worth exploring. I didn't really like the beaches much and if I were to do it again I would have only spent 2 nights.

• Liked — Price, close to Volcanoes Park
  • Disliked — Unfriendly staff, location in Hilo
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Juneflo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2007

Arnotts Lodge is actually three different classes of accomodation under one name and management. Hence the VERY wide divergance of the ratings.

The most basic are backpacker dorm rooms with showers down the hall. Then there are "semi-private" rooms, which are two bedroom appartments where the occupants of the rooms (individually lockable) share a bathroom. Both these are in the main building, where there are cooking facilities, outdoor (covered) seating, TV etc.

Across the road are the 6 deluxe rooms. 5 of these rooms share a large lounge (with library) a well equipped kitchen, a patio and garden chairs. These rooms are are light and comfortable.

My reservation had been messed-up, by both arrival and departure dates and room type. I had to take a semi-private room the first night. It was comfortable enough, but not what I booked. There was a deluxe room available for my second night.

The Lodge is not at all easy to find, until you know where to turn off the main road. It is South of the industrial area, near a beach park. There is no food service at the lodge, or anywhere within walking distance. If you do not bring food with you, you need transport. The whole place does have a slightly "tired" appearence.

I took Arnott's tour to Moana Kea. Our driver/guide was an astronomy student at the University of Hawaii, Hilo. He was very knowledgeable and a competent driver. It was a really memorable trip, and cheaper than all their competitors.

The reviewer who thought that Big Island had nothing to offer must have been looking for night life and a "scene", which is probably not so readily available on Big Island as elsewhere. I was looking for history and nature/science, and found an abundance of activities, many more than I had time for.

• Liked — tours offered
  • Disliked — messed up reservation, no food service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank travgran
Las Vegas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2007

First of all, I do not suggest to visit Hilo at all, which has nothing special to see, and has a pretty bad weather, very humid and rainy, plus vog (volcanic emissions combined with humidity and onxygen, potentially harmful).
Arnott's is situated near the industrial area, that is not a very beatiful area.
The area is infested by coqui frogs,which during the night produce a quite annoying sound.
Our deluxe room was very tiny, humid and the whole place smelled bad because of humidity.
I got bit many times in this room by some insects which were in my bed. I can tell because it only happened when I was there.
The whole area was not that terribly clean either.
The only good thing was a pretty well equipped cooking area, plus other facilities, as i.e. the possibility to watch free DVD's on a theater screen.
We were also warned not to leave our possession in the room or in the car, so we had to carry our laptop with us all the time.
I don't think that Arnott's is that bad by itself, I think that the whole area is bad, and Arnott's just reflects the problem that affect it. I know I won't visit the Big Island again. It is not worth while.

Stayed November 2007
Japan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2007

Just back from an amazing backpack of Pacific. This was worst hostel experienced. As with all, they have rules but pay close attention as rules are many, varied, and strictly enforced. You are under constant surveillance here. General feeling was an "us against them" mentality. Very strange. Price was was ok, and the location was really good. Swim beaches were close enough to walk. Bikes on offer, although it rained so I didn't try. Everything will be a charge here, which not true at most others I tried. Booked the lava hike, even though it was very clearly explained that there is no lava seen but still seemed like good price and experience. But driver/guide was only 16 y/o! I can't believe it legal for guide of tours to be a minor as it didn't feel safe. Tried to cancel on these grounds, but told of cancel policy. Still didn't go and was told by mgmt that they provided the tour, and I was required to pay. It was not their fault that I wasn't literate to know cancel policy. I still cannot believe guide can be 16.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — tons of warning signs, mind-numbing amount of rules, consatant video surveillance
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank bentoland
ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2007

My wife and I stayed here in 2006 for 1 week and we had a wonderful experience. For the cheap price the accomodations were quite adequate. Don`t expect hotel standards and you won`t be disappointed. We reserved a `Deluxe` private room with ensuite bathroom with shower. This had a nice little patio with a couple of chairs for afternoon relaxing. This unit also had access to a shared kitchen unit complete with fridge, stove, table and all the necessary items to fix a great home cooked meal. A short bike ride on their `free use` vintage bikes to the local outdoor market and little grocery store gave us a chance to cook Hawian-style cuisine.
The best part were the organized tours. We booked the Volcano hike, the waterfalls trip and the Star gazing experience. All were professionally done and excellent.
It was also very nice to mix with the backpackers from many international homes.

Stayed July 2006
4 Thank bobberca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona

Been to Arnott's Lodge? Share your experiences!