“Good Bargain Accomodations”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Syosset, New York
“Good Bargain Accomodations”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed at Arnott's in March, 2012. I booked our reservation without consulting Trip Advisor or any similar site. We were only staying in Hilo for four days, and wanted to take the Mauna Kea guided tour and the Volcanoes tour, so it made sense to stay in or near Hilo. As we were departing Maui for the Big Island, my wife checked the place out online, and found some scary, negative reviews (along with some good reviews), so we checked in with some trepidation. We were pleasantly surprised. We stayed in one of the 'deluxe' rooms that share a common kitchen with four other rooms. It's not the most private accomodation - if people are using the common room, you can hear them plainly. But everyone was very friendly and considerate, and it worked very well. We met some good people. The room itself has a small refrigerator and small, but adequate bathroom with shower. The location is a bit out of the way, but the neighborhood is nice and it's a short distance from town and from an excellent local park along the shore that only the locals (who are unfailingly friendly) seem to know about.

The tours were very good, and we were impressed with the way the staff handled them. I had screwed up the date for the Mauna Kea tour when I booked it. They held the bus for us as long as they could, but we didn't show, thinking it was another day. They rescheduled us when we got back to the hotel, and didn't charge us for the error, which they certainly could have. The Mauna Kea tour was excellent. The guide was Eldridge, who is extraordinarily knowledgable. The stargazing portion of the tour was great. Their tour is far cheaper than any other operator. The only difference that I could see is that the van is a bit older and has smaller windows than the others, but was still very comfortable; and that, instead of a box lunch being provided, we stopped at a 7/11 along the way, and bought our own food. I actually prefer that to some sandwich made hours before.

The Volcanoes tour was also impressive. It turns out that I was the only person who signed up for that day. They didn't cancel the tour. In fact, they contacted me and told me that, since I was the only one going, that we'd leave whenever I wanted to, and go where I wanted to go. The tour guide was Yoko. She was so happy that the tour wasn't cancelled, that she bought me breakfast - it was only the drive-through at Jack-in-the-Box, but it included one of the best cups of coffee I've ever had.

All in all, Arnott's is a very good bargain, especially if you want to take any of the tours. Mauna Kea, Volcanoes Park and the waterfalls and rain forests are much closer to Hilo than to Kona. Hilo is not the deluxe side of the Island, and it can be rainy. But you get a great vibe from being in a part of the Island that's not dominated by tourists and resorts.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gaff313
AlohaArnotts, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your review. We appreciate your faith in our most recent reviews as we have striven mightily to upgrade and refurbish every aspect of our lodge to reflect our #2 rating in Hilo on Trip Advisor. The negative reviews of the past were our incentive to provide a superior product and constantly improve it so that all future reviews are positive, as yours turned out to be. Having several different classes of accommodation and tours means we have to be on our toes to try to please everyone and our reviews reflect that we are achieving this aim.

Hilo is not as touristy as the west side of the island. But we are the closest city to the Volcano National Park, Mauna Kea and waterfalls. We provide discounted rates for our tours for a 2 night minimum stay at Arnott's Lodge. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the Big Island.of Hawaii. Aloha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed for one night in July, in the deluxe room, with a private bath. A good size room, bed was comfortable. However, as soon as we arrive and sat on the bed, something made us itch! We finally realized it was the comforter, it must have been stored next to insulation or something like that. Once we removed it we were fine the rest of the night. We took the Mauna Kea Sunset and Stargazing tour, Daniel was our tour guide. We can't say enough good things about him, he was very informative, he knew a lot about the island as he grew up there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha and Mahalo for your comments. We apologize that the comforter caused you to feel itchy. If we would've known this then we would've happily given a new one as we are regularly replacing linens at guests request. We are glad that you enjoyed our Mauna Kea tour with Daniel. He is a knowledgeable guide that has been with Arnott's for almost 6 years and continues to enjoy sharing the Big Island with visitors. Mahalo again for your review. We hope to see you again on your future stay here in Hilo.
Oakland, California
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed here for two nights while traveling by myself on the Big Island. I stayed in a private room in their dorms. This is listed on their website as private lockable dorm room for $40/night. Their rooms are simple but clean. In the dorms, they provide you linen and towels and then you make up the beds yourself. The shared bathroom was also very clean. I did not spend much time in my room or at the hotel as my trip was pretty booked, but found the hotel staff friendly and helpful.

The hotel is located a bit far from the center of town if you do not have a car. I rented a car and found that the location was very convient when driving. There was ample free parkign on site.

Would definitely recommend if you are looking for a simple and clean place to stay on a busy trip.

2 Thank Frances R
, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your review. Thanks for choosing Arnott's Lodge for your stay in Hilo. We clean our dorms daily due to the popularity and the price of those rooms. We are about a 5-7 minute car ride from Arnott's Lodge to downtown Hilo, 15 minutes by the hourly $1.00 County Bus and 30 minutes by bike. We hope to see you again in the future on your next trip to the Big Island of Hawaii. Aloha
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I camped here for just over $11/night. The location is far from the city center, so you would need a car to stay here. All of the common areas (tv room, dining area, bathrooms) are outside, so bring mosquito repellant. Because the showers available to campers are outside and there is only a cloth curtain for privacy, you will need to shower in a swimming suit (the wind blows the curtain open). I found the absence of plumbing to be a bit gross; the gray water from the showers and sink drain onto the rock walkway, so you end up walking in whatever was spit into the sink. All of the areas available to campers were extremely clean, the staff was friendly and the kitchen was well equipped. They have an excessive number of signs with rules, the strangest was a sign requiring campers who snore to get a room.

3 Thank 1TelltLikeItIs
, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your review. Doug Arnott our owner would like to respond to your comments. Our showers and toilet facilities are truly second to none for tenters on the Big Island. The choice to put gray water back into the ground is an important part of ecotourism and this is the first comment we've had have on this matter. We are considering weights on the shower curtains although again our facility at least has curtains as most others don't. Where in Hawaii can you have full use of hot showers, flushing toilets, free wifi and computer, HBO and washer/dryer facilities all for $10 a night? The reason we ask for snorers to take a room is we've had one person keep the entire tent ground awake and so we consider this a reasonable request. Mahalo again for your review. We will take your comments into consideration.
Schaffhausen
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I spent 3 nights in Arnott's lodge and was really happy with my stay. Rooms and bathroom are clean and comfortable and affordable as well for budget travelers. The kitchen is well equipped and there is a big TV in the garden. The staff is very friendly and well informed to make your stop in Hilo an unforgettable experience.

2 Thank Andreas K
, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Aloha Andreas, Mahalo for taking the time to review Arnott's Lodge. It was a pleasure having you as one of our guest. We hope to see you again soon in the future. Aloha
Vacaville, California
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I chose Arnott's lodge because I wanted a clean affordable place to shower and sleep at the end of each day of my vacation on the Big Island. Arnott's didn't let me down. I was very happy with their accomadations. I stayed in their deluxe room for 7 nights at a cost of just over 500 dollars. Well within my budget so I was able to join 2 of the tours offered as well. My room was clean and comfortable and all I needed since I was out all day touring the island. I put 1,080 miles on my rental car! A word about the tours. I went on the Vocano day tour and the Mauna Kea sunset and stargazing tour. Both times the tour guides were impressively knowledgable, friendly, helpful and down right fun. I learned a great deal about the big Island and saw some amazing sights thanks to Arnott's! I highly recommend Arnott's Lodge for people like me who don't want to sit in their hotel room all day and order room service. Get out there and go Arnott's!

Room Tip: Check out the web site. That's how I found my room. You can see pictures of the rooms or other...
1 Thank Michelle N
, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Aloha Michelle, mahalo for the great review! It's travelers like you that appreciate what we have to offer at Arnott's Lodge. We do our best to make our lodge guests comfortable and happy. I'm glad you also enjoyed our tours. We appreciate the beauty of this island and love sharing it with visitors.
We hope to see you again in the near future. Aloha and Mahalo.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed in a "Deluxe Room." This room had an a/c unit, a ceiling fan, its own bathroom with towels supplied, a small refrigerator and coffee pot. It also has a nice little table for enjoying one's breakfast on the "front porch", which faces the quiet, pleasant, and mostly private back instead of the noisier front area. There is a connecting door to a lounge area with kitchen supplies - but don't worry, there is no TV, nor was anyone being noisy in that room the entire time we were there. There is not a TV in the room (I considered this a plus), but there is one in a common area, nowhere near the room. There is free internet. There are no phones in the rooms, since most people have their own, but there is a phone in the common area. The room next door had a sliding glass door, and the hall to the lounge room could be connected to this room if the occupants were in the same party.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean, but you may occasionally see some small ants. Arnott's tours are well worth taking. Arnott's also provides dorm rooms and even "tenting" on the lawn. They have toilets accessible for tenters. Although this is a cheap alternative, and they do maintain "quiet times", the tenters will certainly hear some gravel-crunching. Arnott's has some nice seating under a porch. They do not have an on-site restaurant, but you can't go wrong at Ken's House of Pancakes, which serves far more than you would guess . . . Arnott's is perfectly located, not far from the airport or town. I was impressed with how quiet the deluxe room was.

Room Tip: Spring for the Deluxe.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Explorecreate
AlohaArnotts, Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your nice review. Although we do not have TV's and telephones in the rooms we do have 2 large communal TV's for guests to use along with payphones at the vending area.

In regard to the ants that you saw, we try to tread a fine line between keeping the tropical environment at bay and not soaking our guest rooms in dangerous chemicals, to this end we do provide bug spray in the rooms and in the kitchen area so guests may spot treat anything that concerns them. As members of the Ecotourism Association, we try to balance eradication with guest safety.

Arnott's Lodge is located in a great location with great walks and bike rides to downtown and beach parks. We are also within walking distance to local convenience stores where you can purchase sandwiches and home made ice-cream. In addition, to Ken's House of Pancakes we are a 10-15 minute walk to the Seaside restaurant that has their own fish farm. Mahalo again for taking the time to review us, we hope to see you again in the future. Aloha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona

Been to Arnott's Lodge? Share your experiences!