“Friendly, basic accomodations”
Review of Hilo Seaside Hotel

Hilo Seaside Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Hilo
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We chose the Hilo Seaside Hotel based on reviews and our desire to stay in a place with a personality and the Aloha spirit. The place looked a little worn and tired. However, upon entering, we felt the warmth and charm that is so often offered by a smaller family owned operation. We were warmly greeted by everyone from the staff to fellow guests and the koi in the pond out front. There are a few stairs to climb, but even with my arthritic knees, I had no problem. There is a true sense of ohana, family, here. As I mentioned, even fellow guests greeted each other with smiles, nods and waves. It was a great base for which to explore the east side of the island.

Our room faced the garden and was clean and efficient. Yes, there is some noise from the nearby airport, but it has regular hours and is not operating during normal sleeping hours.

The only real downside is parking. It can be a little tricky.

Will we stay there again? Definitely! From what I saw, the Hilo Seaside has a steady base of return customers. We plan on being some of them.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hilo Seaside Hotel

Reviewed August 20, 2009

Good for one night but not for a long time. Staff was very helpful in finding a room with internet access (B). Fast enough...I guess many people who come here do not bring laptops. Bandwidth is good. Rooms are ok. At least there is AC. and a good fan. Clean rooms carpet was a little sticky. nice oasis in the middle of hotel. Close to airport and around 5 the jets are a little noisy.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2009

It's cute, basic, a little outdated, but clean. Staff is friendly, and Ken's Pancake House is close by. I love that it's a family-run hotel and the location is great for its proximity to downtown HIlo and/or Volcanoes Park. However, if you are a light sleeper, beware: it's very close to the airport and you might be woken by the roar of jets starting at 5:15 AM. However, If you just need a place for a night or two it's fine. The rates couldn't be better for Hilo.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2009

I was expecting the worst possible accommodations after the reviews I read about this hotel but it honestly wasn't bad. It is old, like every other hotel in Hilo, and very small but it was extremely clean and quiet. There was some weird looking empty lot at the rear of the hotel but as this was not near our room, I didn't worry about it too much.

Considering that we spent a grand total of approximately 10 hours in the room and the fact that it was remarkably priced, I think this hotel is perfect for a quick trip to the Hilo side.

1  Thank 1234takemeaway
Reviewed July 23, 2009

.............. I cannot believe some of the reviews on .......... on this motel (it is not a hotel), were ....... were we in a different motel or are these people standards that low? There are a NUMBER of problems with this motel, parking being the biggest, the rooms are old and out dated and smell. Many of the rooms were closed off because they were in such bad condition. We could hear the people from both sides of our rooms. There is no privacy. The windows are slat glass - so noise comes in and goes out easily and so do the bugs - even when the windows are closed. Do not keep lights on in the room at night as it attracts the bugs in. Only one staff member was helpful all others could seem too careless if you needed something. When I was there the hotel was only 25% full and the parking lot was completely full. Very inadequate parking space available. I had to walk well over a block to park my car on a side street. Removal all valuables from your car as we witnessed someone who had their car broken in to. There are many other options when staying in Hilo and I would recommend NOT STAYING HERE. The location was good but there are other hotels that have just as good if not better locations. There were hairs from prior guest in the bathroom. The floor in the room did not appear to have been vacuumed. I pulled the sheets back before getting into bed to make sure they were changed and clean. I am not a neat freak but after seeing the hair and stuff on the room floor, I had to wonder. There are many other options available on the Island and I would recommend extending your search elsewhere. I was very disappointed and will never stay at this hotel again. I know I was looking for a bargain when I booked this room, but it is not a bargain if you cannot relax and have a good nights rest. I have stayed in Hostels that are in better shape and that is sad to say. People should know what to expect if they plan on staying here. Mahalo

2  Thank RDwarriorLife
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We stayed here because it was one of the cheapest hotels in Hilo where we needed to be to visit Volcanoes Park. The hotel was less than 5 min-drive from the airport, conveniently right by the gas station and pancake place opened 24 hours.

The hotel itself looks like motel but has hotel facilities. It has exterior corridors with windows that are actually shutters made out of glass. Therefore, you can here everything that is going on outside. You also use traditional key (not electronic) to get in. Rooms look like motel rooms except that you are provided with very basic bathroom amenities. They were clean, so we were satisfied.

Lobby is nice, very inviting and Hawaiian looking. Receptionists were friendy and professional. Adjacent restaurant is expensive and service horrible. We tried breakfast the very first morning and based on the experience decided to eat elsewhere the other 2 nights. Food was good. Just the female server was not nice. She didn't smile once, was short, didn't try to connect, make suggestions, ask if we needed anything....

Pool looked good and clean but we didn't have time take a dip. Please be aware that there is no internet in rooms. You have to come down to lobby to use your laptop and still pay the usual daily fee. Also, parking is sort of strange. Some cars park on the street in front of the entrance, other on the small lot behing the hotel and some behind restaurant. Hotel has little pond with colorful fish in it. There are stairs everywhere. We didn't see wheelchair access anywhere and had to drag our suitcases up the stairs.

I would recommend this hotel for 1 night but not more and not for people with disabilities or light sleepers.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed July 2, 2009

First of all we are not in our room much when we travel so our room needs are pretty basic. Make sure to request a room away from the pool. Be aware that this is not a new hotel, it is locally owned and operated. It is not handicapped friendly at all. On a weekend day be prepared for A LOT of kids at the pool and families bring coolers and such and have loud and roudy picnics. The landscaping is nice on the interior courtyard and I would have preferred a room there. The room was very clean, no coffee maker or anything in the room except a very small fridge. Everything did work though-the AC was very cold and the TV was good. Internet service is NOT free, costs around $12 a day. The attached restaurant is okay-pricey and slow service, but we thought the food was good. We ate breakfast at Kens in the mornings-you get a lot of food for your buck and the service was REALLY REALLY good. Also note that this hotel is right next to the airport and flights start coming in and out at 515am so if you are not an early riser that could be upsetting. This hotel is NOT in Hilo, but its a good location for Volcano, Muana Loa, and we also hit the closest black sand beach, which is, by the way, clothing optional. For convenience store hit the Wiki Wiki next to Ken's, nice staff and better prices than other convenience stores we went to. Check out the hotel's koi pond-they got some BIG ones in there. Oh, I almost forgot to mention-the parking is free, but very helter skelter...street, parking lot, street beside the restaurant, etc. Just wherever you find a spot. No porter service and no carts for bags.

2  Thank weluv2travelandeat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Chalet Kilauea
Chalet Kilauea
#1 of 2 in Volcano

Been to Hilo Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!