“Great place to stay in Hilo on a budget” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilo Seaside Hotel

Hilo Seaside Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Yulee, Florida
“Great place to stay in Hilo on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed at the Hilo Seaside Hotel for one night. We were not looking for anything with frills, just a clean place to sleep and shower, before continuing on the next morning. The hotel is very cute and clean, just a little dated. It was great for a one night stay, and if staying in the Hilo area longer, it would not be a bad place to stay on a budget.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jen G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Korean first
Hopkinton, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We spent two nights here at the end of June. It was very clean, inexpensive and comfortable, with a great location. We were within walking distance of several restaurants – delicious Mexican food at Pond’s and abundant breakfasts at Ken’s – but the best meal we had was right at the hotel, at the Coconut Grille. The hotel is at a busy intersection so there is traffic noise, but we enjoyed time on our lanai overlooking the bay, a small beach and the hotel's large, well-stocked koi pond. We watched planes land at the nearby airport. We walked along Banyan Drive past Liliuokalani Gardens and all of the immense banyans, watching local fishermen at the pier. Our first day in the rainiest city in the US was completely sunny and dry, but we did experience the warm misty rain eventually. Hilo has a nice little downtown area, and it’s big enough to have all of the conveniences of a city. We used it as our base to visit Mauna Kea, Rainbow Falls and Akaka Falls. I recommend the Hilo Seaside and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Our ocean view room was nice. Be aware that there are no elevators.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I will admit that when I first drove by the hotel (too early to check in), I was worried. But honestly, nothing in Hilo looked very nice. :(

The hotel allowed me to check in 2 hours early... and that made me super happy. The lady working the registration desk was very friendly and cheerful. In fact, every time I walked by the desk, whoever was working was super friendly. It made me feel welcome.

My room was pleasant. It was very clean. Understand that this is an older hotel... so I was expecting grime or just bad stuff. But everything worked perfectly, there was no grime anywhere, the bathroom was one of the cleanest bathrooms I've ever had in a hotel. They even have a cover over the drain that catches your hair so they can clean it out and prevent clogging. Perfect!!!

My room was also situated right by the pond, so I had the sound of running water...lovely. I was a little concerned that it might be too loud at night. But surprise! They turn the running water off! :) Perfect!

The room had an air conditioner that cooled the room nicely. I loved the balcony. I just really liked this little hotel.

There is also a restaurant onsite that is pretty good. Happy hour until 6pm, so I got some cheap beers and appetizers. The main entrees were pretty good too.

Room Tip: I didn't get to choose my room. It was ocean side and was noisy from the people enjoying the wa...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank rmysoldr
Lihue, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Customer Service was outstanding. On the fourth of July weekend, I was traveling with a family member needing an accessible room. For this years trip, we tried a different room than we normally book. When that room did not work out for us, Karleen at the front desk was able to move us to a room that suited our needs despite a very busy weekend. She and the rest of the staff at this hotel are the true embodiment of the Aloha spirit! They made us feel right at home.

Regarding noise:The Hotel is not far from the airport so you may hear an occasional Hawaiian Air Boeing 717 flight overhead during the day. There are not that many flights into Hilo, so I wouldn't really worry too much about that. Unlike the other Hotels off Banyan Drive, you will not have to worry about the Coqui frogs keeping you up all night.
Despite the age of this hotel, the rooms have been well maintained are quite pleasant.Each room has a coffee maker and small refrigerator for your convenience. Because of the older design. there are some quirks in the placement of the light switches, but all in all the rooms provide great value for your stay.

The Coconut Grille restaurant located off the Hotel lobby.is one of the best restaurants in the area. The wait staff are fast & friendly. The food is excellent and you can taste the love and care the chef puts into each and every dish. If you love omelets in the morning, then their seafood omelet is jam packed with scrumptious shrimp and crabmeat. The prime omelet is equally jam packed with tender and juicy chunks of slow roasted prime rib that when combined with fluffy eggs, onions and mushrooms, is a flavor explosion of joy that is not only delicious but also should satisfy even the heartiest of appetites. Don't overlook their heavenly banana bread, sweet bread french toast along with their other breakfast offerings. Their lunch and dinner offerings are equally delicious and satisfying.

As of this visit, they now offer free wi-fi internet access. Connection instructions are given to you at check in.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Newnan, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We were only here for one night. The rooms are very clean. Get a room on the fern hall or by the pool. Both have peaceful views. The pool area is very nice. It is near the airport, so you do hear the planes. All in all, great place.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lebanon, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

On vacation, we don't spend our time in the hotel -- there's too much to see and do -- I want to absorb God's creation (and what He allowed mankind to do). So this hotel met our needs. I can see this having been THE place 40 years ago. (Unless I'm mistaken we were told it was built in 1956. THat's okay. I love the open lobby and the access to the restaurant. Our room actually had an outside entrance, which again is okay -- the only access is through the lobby (it appeared). The room was dated, but upkeep was good. Value was good. Walked around a little outside and down the street and it actually seemed a little rough. We had a fern wing, which again, seemed 1960's but I was happy. Good stay for the value.

Room Tip: I couldn't detect where one area would be better than another -- roll the dice and enjoy the rid...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel is situated close to the airport and to downtown Hilo, approximately 10mins drive from each. It has two-levels and is segmented to the Fern wing, the Ocean-view wing and the pool-view wing. The reception and lobby are facing a koi pond.the checking process was a breeze. The staff was very warm and even changed my room to one with a king bed as there was a mix up in the booking. The room was clean and functional with a coffee machine and a small refrigerator. Some chairs outside the room face the common walkway and the lovely fern garden. There is also a coin operated self service laundry.

The area around the hotel is very pleasant. There is a Japanese garden (Liliuokalani) about 5-8mins walk towards the bay. Several restaurants are found nearby. The closest being the "Ponds" and a Vietnamese restaurant across the street.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank ackteo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
3.5 of 5 stars 1,013 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona

Been to Hilo Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!